Posted (edited)

I’m new miner of Gridcoin in Solo mode.

First of all, I know that the better way for a new miner is begin mining in a pool, but this option is imposible for me at this moment.

When I execute ‘list cpids’ in the console command line, return the 4 BOINC projects active in all my computers, with the sane CPID in all of them and, shows all the projects are in Gridcoin team and ‘true’ in the section that the project is valid for Gridcoin.

But when I execute ‘list validcpids’, the command not return anything.

Is this normal? I don’t understand why.

Another information that should be important:

- Coin Weight: 5

- Magnitude: 1.00

- Stake Weight: 400

I am mining for less than one week, and I hope this data will be normal in my case. The 5 GRC are earned via faucets. No reward via another way yet.

Please, can you explain me if it is normal? I have to wait some days to ‘list validcpids’ return correct values or is not important because seems ‘list cpids’ return everything ok?

In another way: I readed that is important accquire at least 2K GRC for begin mining in solo mode. I’m trying to find anyone that sell me GRC and I will pay via Paypal. Can anyone help me? I don’t inow if the problem with the ‘list validcpids’, low magnitude and stake weight are  related to the low GRC amount in my wallet.

Thanks in advice.

Edited by Peibol81

I was also irritated to see this empty result for

list validcpids

in the first place. But on the slack channels, they assured me that the diagnosis screen in general is not working properly, thus shouldn't be trusted. In particular, validcpids does not work. So don't worry about this. Just forget the diagnosis screen for the time being.

But I see another issue in your case: You won't stake with 5 GRCs and a Magnitude of 1!
Did you send your beacon already? The wallet should do this automatically once your balance goes over 1. something. You've got 5 GRCs so this should have happened already. You can try

execute beaconstatus

in the console. Then at least your contribution won't be lost in case you stake at least once in the next 6 months.

So you need to get some GRCs indeed in the next months. I am in a similar position, having 450 GRCs in my wallet, staked once and now waiting to stake again. With exchange wallets on hold, it's difficult (reddit r/marketgrid not liquid enough and needs escrows, gridcoins.org in alpha status) so I would suggest to wait a bit more until the exchanges are open again. Devs are working on fixes for the exchanges and maybe they will re-open their wallets some time soon. I am not happy with this situation either but at least you will get your crunched GRCs eventually once you stake so nothing is lost.

Hope this comforts you a bit.

35 minutes ago, Herbert Simpson said:

I was also irritated to see this empty result for

list validcpids

in the first place. But on the slack channels, they assured me that the diagnosis screen in general is not working properly, thus shouldn't be trusted. In particular, validcpids does not work. So don't worry about this. Just forget the diagnosis screen for the time being.

But I see another issue in your case: You won't stake with 5 GRCs and a Magnitude of 1!
Did you send your beacon already? The wallet should do this automatically once your balance goes over 1. something. You've got 5 GRCs so this should have happened already. You can try

execute beaconstatus

in the console. Then at least your contribution won't be lost in case you stake at least once in the next 6 months.

So you need to get some GRCs indeed in the next months. I am in a similar position, having 450 GRCs in my wallet, staked once and now waiting to stake again. With exchange wallets on hold, it's difficult (reddit r/marketgrid not liquid enough and needs escrows, gridcoins.org in alpha status) so I would suggest to wait a bit more until the exchanges are open again. Devs are working on fixes for the exchanges and maybe they will re-open their wallets some time soon. I am not happy with this situation either but at least you will get your crunched GRCs eventually once you stake so nothing is lost.

Hope this comforts you a bit.

Thank you very much.

i execute beaconstatus and seems everything be OK:

(..)

-Beacon exists: Yes

(..)

- Configuration status: SUCCESSFULL

(..)

I think I was send the veacon on 10th of march.

Thanks again, but after that, do you think everything is ok? The solution is wait?

I don’t understand the ‘6 months for the wallet’. Can you explain me, please? As easy as you can. I’m spanish and sometimes I have some problems for understand technical text. I think (but maybe I’m in an error) that every 6 months is necessary transfer the GRC to an exchanger. If you do not do that, the GRC wilk be lose. But maybe I’m in an error.

And every 6 months the wallet sends a new beacon.

I think everything is ok with your wallet (v 3.7.10 I hope?) and the solution is wait until the exchanges are open again. At least that's what I am doing.

From the time you sent the beacon (i.e. the blockchain gets to know you) you have 6 months time to stake and thus get rewarded in GRCs for the BOINC credits you crunced and 1.5% interest per year on the coins you hold in your wallet. The interest won't be much with 5 GRCs though :-)

Once you got these GRCs (by staking and being rewarded for your work or by buying from an exchange) into your Gridcoin wallet, you can keep them there. You do not have to send them to an exchange. Just make sure, your wallet should be encrypted and unlocked for staking only so that you can leave it online 24/7 to raise your chance to stake a block in the chain.

Only if you did not stake in the past 6 months, the wallet re-sends a beacon to let the blockchain know that you're still there. But if you stake in this time, it's not necessary and your work will be rewarded eventually.

Posted (edited)

Thank you very much again.

Yes, I’ve installed 3.7.10 and 5,2 GRC in my wallet. I’m poor but I’m happy.

My stake weigh is 401 at rhis monent. I supose is very poor score, but suficient.

And my magnitude is 1.00. This value will increase?

And another question.

Now  all the exchangers have GRC operations disabled. But you know any exchanger easy to use that acceps Paypal? When GRC operations return to the exangers I’m thinking about buy 2K or more GRC’s, I assume this will accelerate and receive faster the earns, isn’t it?

I’m searching someone in this forum that acceps a Paypal transfer for me and transfer the GRC to my wallet id, but no one has offered.

Thank you again for your explanation and the time you have dedicated to me and my problen. Your help is much apreciared. Thank you very much

Edited by Peibol81

The Magnitude takes some time to build up, yes. How far depends on the power of your machine(s): It's your contribution relative to team Gridcoin contribution. 

Here are some links you may want to look at for more details:

https://steemit.com/gridcoin/@dutch/the-total-and-utter-noobie-guide-to-successfully-mining-the-cryptocurrency-gridcoin

https://steemit.com/gridcoin/@sc-steemit/gridcoin-research-wallet-tips-and-tricks-for-new-users

http://wiki.gridcoin.us/FAQ

The problem with "private" Paypal to GRC trades is that...

1. you have to trust the other person to send you the GRCs

2. the other person has to trust you not to do chargebacks on your paypal payment claiming you never got the GRCs

3. possible tax and legal issues depending on the respective countries of residence

4. and many more...

So it's better to wait until the exchanges open again I think. Then you can buy another coin like BTC or LTC for paypal or bank wire transfer and exchange that for GRCs. I bought BTCs on a German site for EUR bank transfer and am now waiting for flyp.me to open...

Happy to help to you, I also started with Gridcoin some weeks ago and learned a lot - among many other sources also from nice people in the forums :-)

So if you want, I do appreciate a "Like" (the star symbol on the lower right-hand side corner of every post) but you don't have to.

Cheers, Herbert

Posted (edited)

I think I have do it (make a like). Please confirm.

I’m learning so much in this forum and you teached me.

You’re allright with the Paypal metod. For me seems the easy way but I didn’t know the negative questiins you mentioned.

I’m thinking in another strategy to earn GRC. Do you know Eobot? Is a cloud miner. I’m using it everyday. Now I’m earning Dogecoins via Faucets for echange it for mining power, and after I will use these mining power for mine GRC. It’s a slow strategy and requires patience, but I hope it will wotk fine.

Edited by Peibol81

I tried Eobot once but was disappointed to learn that you need to accumulate a lot of GRCs until you can retrieve them. So I left it. Didn't try other coins though.

Did you register at http://uscore.net ? After entering your mail, you have to write 2 lines to prove you are not a robot, then it takes some days and you'll get 3 GRCs once for free. I also visit http://gridcoin.ch/faucet.php daily and https://gridcoinstats.eu/faucet.php of course.

So good luck with your crunching and let's cross our fingers that exchanges open some time soon. If you have more questions or problems and can't find a solution, feel free to send me a message or mention me in one of your posts here. Then I will get a notification and can answer you.

P.S.: Likes worked, thank you :-)

Yes, I know these faucets. I visit them every day. And I know too the USCore 3 GRC reward and I received three days ago.

please, when exchangers return to operate with GRC mention or write me. It’s possible that I buy GRC in an exchanger and transfer to my wallet. I don’t know why and maybe I will ask you...

Thanks again.

@Herbert Simpson Do you know what is the minimum withdraw amount of GRC in Eobot?

Now I’m collecting Dogecoins via faucets for transfer all of them to the Dogecoin Eobot Wallet. Then my idea is exchange all for 24h mining power and then mining GRC and transfer the Obtained GRC Coins to my GRC Wallet. But I don’t inow what is the minimum that Eobot requires for make the GRC withdraw.

At this moment I don’t know another way to earn GRC. How do you obtained your 450 GRC?

And, I hope all the exchangers soon will return to accept GRC operations. Seems that the new wallet version solves the problems. We’ll see... but it’s a good idea cross the fingers.

Are you german? I’m from Spain. And I have a brother working in Munich.

I haven't used Eobot more than one hour so I don't know much about it. Just read somewhere that it's not so easy to get your gridcoins out into your wallet.

My 450 GRCs are partly from crunching for the pool with 2 PCs and 2 Raspberry Pis - why don't you want to use the pool by the way? It's really nice because you can easily compare projects and how much Mag and GRC you can earn with them. This way, I am receiving 1.5 - 2 GRC every day. So I would strongly encourage you to use the pool. There are nice videos and it's really easy and intuitive.

The major part of my GRCs I bought over gridcoins.org. But as I mentioned before, this was alpha testing with the developer. We ran into the mentioned tax issue (20% VAT plus paypal fees). This has to be solved first before it can go public. I don't know the current status of this project, think it is on hold now until the tax issue is resolved. So unfortunately, I don't think this is a good option for you 😒

Boinc and Gridcoin is a game of patience. I would recommend to sit back, let your machines crunch and wait for the exchange wallets to open again so that you can buy GRC, stake and get your PoR and PoS rewards.

And maybe give the pool a chance! 😉

Voucher. You've convinced me. I have 3 RaspberryPi 3 and 3 PC's and it may be that mining in the pool gets the expected performance. If I have not done it yet it is because I first wanted to try the solo mode and learn. But the most important reason is that I am a visual deficient person and every little change has a hard time carrying it out. I have to ask you one last favor, the videos do not see them well so if you can explain to me STEP BY STEP AND SIMPLY how to change to pool mode I would be very grateful

I made the same mistake at first: Thinking that it's better to start solo. But I quickly realized that the pool really is the best place to start.

The videos are actually very good and simple. To guide you through this step by step would be quite tedious for both of us so I looked a bit around and found this guide:

https://www.cryptocompare.com/mining/guides/how-to-mine-gridcoin-pool/

Assuming that you've already set up the BOINC client and the Gridcoin wallet, you can start with part 4 I assume. Make sure that you finish all your tasks in solo mode first (set "no new tasks" for your projects, wait until they're finished, update the projects and then detach them).

If you read the links I sent you some posts ago, you will find more tipps like don't crunch a GPU project with a CPU 🙂

With the PIs, I found it a bit difficult in the pool to choose suitable projects. TNGrid and Yoyo are not available there so I keep them for solo-mining. Also, this pool page is very interesting to choose a good project:

https://grcpool.com/project/poolStats

Good luck, @Peibol81 !

Thanks.

i csn mine at the same time in solo and pool mode? Solo in Raspberry and apool in PC’s?

This night I will do the change!

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Herbert Simpson said:

I made the same mistake at first: Thinking that it's better to start solo. But I quickly realized that the pool really is the best place to start.

The videos are actually very good and simple. To guide you through this step by step would be quite tedious for both of us so I looked a bit around and found this guide:

https://www.cryptocompare.com/mining/guides/how-to-mine-gridcoin-pool/

Assuming that you've already set up the BOINC client and the Gridcoin wallet, you can start with part 4 I assume. Make sure that you finish all your tasks in solo mode first (set "no new tasks" for your projects, wait until they're finished, update the projects and then detach them).

If you read the links I sent you some posts ago, you will find more tipps like don't crunch a GPU project with a CPU 1f642.png

With the PIs, I found it a bit difficult in the pool to choose suitable projects. TNGrid and Yoyo are not available there so I keep them for solo-mining. Also, this pool page is very interesting to choose a good project:

https://grcpool.com/project/poolStats

Good luck, @Peibol81 !

Now I’m mining in a pool with my 2 PC (Einstein an World Community Grid) and continue in the same way (mining solo) in my Raspberry’s and my old Android phone.

Now I think that I will wait.

One dubt: What hapoens with my wallet? I don’t change anything on it. Continues open with the same configuration, exactly in the same way that before. It is OK? I have to change something in the walket now or later? I supose yes but in the instructions I don’t read anything about this. WHAT I have to change and WHEN?

One mire thing... I’m NOT using the same email/password in the GRC Pool that I configured in the walket and all my BOINC Projects. This can bring sime problem?

I’m thinking about put the Raspberry’s mine in the pool too. why not?

Thanks @Herbert Simpson You are my hero!

Edited by Peibol81