Spidersbox

[ANN] BitCoinFast BCF - revival

25 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, wildexec said:

I'm not sure if this is the right place to do this but here goes. I like the idea of this coin and would like to mine it. I am noticing a problem that a lot of coins might also have.

I made the mistake of solo mining with 2.5 Gh/s. I believe this caused a large jump in difficulty. After I stopped mining No blocks were found for at least 8 hours until I started mining again.

I wanted to stake some coins and noticed that the transaction never moved from unconfirmed to available. Also blocks I have mined are not reaching maturity. The specs say one block

per 60 seconds therefore should be 60 per hour therefore 50 confirmations should take about an hour. I have blocks mined that are immature for more than 12 hours.

I think the switching of a large amount of hashing power from one coin to another by multipools is really screwing up the difficulty of a lot of coins. Any thoughts?

You hit the nail on the head. hear is a quote from another crypto:

Litebar is just getting hammered by the profit switching pools.
They jump on with 1.5GH and drive the difficulty up, then they switch to something else.
With the difficulty being so high, the smaller pools have to work for 6 to 12 hours just to find one block.
That's 6 to 12 hours (some times more) that the blockchain doesn't move, causing havoc with people trying to move their litebars around.

It is an escalating problem that a lot of the smaller crypto's will be facing, specially the PoW only crypto's.

And it will only be getting worse. bigger better mining equipment means more 'jumping' around.

In litebar's case, I will be adding a small amount of PoS to help keep the chain moving.

In the case of BitcoinFast - the PoS is severely backed up.
Seems that when you encrypted/locked the wallet - there was no way of unlocking it for staking - for over a year!

One of the first things I did when I took over the coin was to add the ability to unlock for staking.

Now there are huge amounts of eligible blocks, with super old ageweight fighting to stake.
The number one holder on the rich list has almost 3 million 'old' coins that have been gaining weight for over a year.

The difficulty for staking is higher than the difficulty for mining!
it's going to take months for the backlog of 'old' coins to work their way through.

Thanks for the response. Is there any way to fix this. Bitcoinfast is supposed to be fast. I just sent some to cryptopia. It is going to take 200 confirmations.

Because of this problem it might take months to move the coins. Who knows what the price will be then. I am suprised anyone is trading this coin at all.

If it could be fixed it would be a huge advantage. Can the difficulty be lowered based on timer until block is found. In other words after one minute lower the

difficulty every 15 seconds until block is found. I admit I have no clue how it works now. Just noticed something really strange I just mined a block and

based on block explorer the previous block was about 3 hours earlier the difficulty went up. That doesn't make any sense. This would be a great coin if

there was a way to find a block every minute.  Network shows 11 confirmations broadcast through 4 nodes. Cryptopia shows 0/200 confirmations. Based

on my observations of difficulty using getmininginfo it seems to me difficulty is raised based on network hash. In my opinion the difficulty should only 

go up based on the average amount of time to find a block without regard to the network hash rate. Below is a copy and paste from my wallet.

11:59:18

{
"blocks" : 524672,
"currentblocksize" : 1196,
"currentblocktx" : 1,
"difficulty" : 89.06528214,
"errors" : "",
"generate" : false,
"genproclimit" : -1,
"hashespersec" : 0,
"networkhashps" : 147806267,
"pooledtx" : 1,
"testnet" : false
}

13:45:16

getmininginfo

13:45:16

{
"blocks" : 524672,
"currentblocksize" : 2195,
"currentblocktx" : 2,
"difficulty" : 89.06528214,
"networkhashps" : 147806267,
"pooledtx" : 2,
}

14:06:06

getmininginfo

14:06:06

{
"blocks" : 524673,
"currentblocksize" : 1000,
"currentblocktx" : 0,
"difficulty" : 250.49959686,
"networkhashps" : 404758126,
"pooledtx" : 0,
}

More Info:

The difficulty seems to be in direct proportion to hash rate.

06:48:54

{
"blocks" : 524725,
"currentblocksize" : 1162,
"currentblocktx" : 1,
"difficulty" : 134.83484159,
"networkhashps" : 392753142,
"pooledtx" : 1,
}

07:07:16

getmininginfo

07:07:16

{
"blocks" : 524726,
"currentblocksize" : 1000,
"currentblocktx" : 0,
"difficulty" : 379.22603978,
"networkhashps" : 1094237525,
"pooledtx" : 0,
}

1094237525/392753142 = 2.786069436460422 X 134.83484159 = 375.659...

This doesn't make sense to me as it took almost an hour to find this block!

Edited by wildexec

I wonder if this is the reason the old dev moved on ...
anyway, the difficulty is  tied to the hashrate.
Unfortunately, there isn't any  'live' reporting of hashrate. it is figured by taking the last x many blocks and averaging them.
If you did it with a timer - you would still get the same thing - a pool would switch to a different coin for a while, then when the difficulty dropped back down to where you could mine - they would jump back on, mine 10 or 20 blocks until the difficulty got high again - then switch to something else.

I'm hoping the PoS will work it's self out soon, if not - I will have to make some changes and the will require a fork.
I don't like forks, but it is better than a swap.
Cryptopia delists the old coin, and you have to pay to get the new coin listed when you do a swap.

on the other hand, maybe the difficulty adjustment is messed up - affecting both pos and pow -

just a happy thought ...
I will be looking into that. maybe adding dark gravity well for difficulty adjustments.

Thank you for your quick responses. Please forgive my ignorance but I still don't understand why the block rate is nowhere near the target rate of 60 seconds there has only been about 200 blocks mined in 2 days.

I would expect the difficulty to go way down based on  the averages I am seeing. I was typing this when you posted your last response. I think the difficulty is messed up or set to some other target like maybe 10 minutes.

I am still curious if the difficulty can be adjusted in between blocks being found so that if a block is not found in 60 seconds the difficulty could be lowered every n number of seconds until a block is found. This would

address the pool switching. I also think the difficulty should never increase if it takes longer than 60 seconds to find a block

I agree, the difficulty should be going down each time a block is found - over the 60 second block time. that's the way it is suppose to work.
That is why I am suspicious of the difficulty adjustments.
I've been watching the pos difficulty - and it hasn't come back down either.

The wallet is suppose to adjust both up and down to try and keep the block times as close to 60 seconds as possible.
I'm thinking the down part isn't working correctly.

More work for me to do ...

I've added Kimoto Gravity Well for difficulty adjustments. It should work much better (just about anything will work better than it is now)
I still have to test if for several days to make sure the switch works correctly, and the affects are positive.

wildexec likes this

so far so good. in the test environment:

I used the real blockchain to test with.

I setup 3 computers and ran the wallets so they would download and sync the real chain, once they were in sync, I disconnected them form the internet - setup a pool and gpu mining rig and went to town.
it took a long time to hit a block, but the switch happened just as planned.
the difficulty dropped, and soon my 4 card gpu rig started hitting blocks.  I mined for about 20,000 blocks, then turned the miners off  transfered 1,000 bcf to one of the pc's and waited.
It took a little while, but pos kicked in and the chain started moving again - just on pos.

Currently, my server is under a ddos attack, but once it gives up, I will reset the switch time in the bcf wallet code, update the github repo, and release a windows wallet so we can get this fork going.

Mandatory Update
please update before midnight Sunday Nov. 19th UTC

Kimoto Gravity Well has been added to BitcoinFast to replace the way difficulty is figured.

the switch is set for the first block after Monday, Nov. 20 00:00:00 2017 UTC

github is updated:
https://github.com/Crypto-Currency/bitcoinfast

Link to Windows-QT wallet is under the status tab on the website:
http://bitcoinfast.co

or click here