pls2000

Why does gridcoinresearch.exe need administrator privileges on WIndows?

3 posts in this topic

Why does gridcoinresearch.exe need administrator privileges on WIndows?

Can someone please explain why gridcoinresearch.exe needs administrator privileges on Windows? What exactly is the client doing that requires this? And could the requirement be removed?

Thanks

Posted (edited)

To read files from boinc it would be needed. This is needed in setup when you put in path to boinc, it will check CPID from mail you put in.

To have wallet running to and stake you could skip it. Would advise to use it in upgrade or beacon changes.

Edited by Gunde

I don't understand this. The default installations of both gridcoin and BOINC put there data files in the use profile, where the user has full access. Administrator might be needed only in the case where gridcoin and BOINC are running as different users. I can't see why one would want to do this, and it has to be a very uncommon case. 

If the person installing either or both BOINC and gridcoin has put the file in an alternate location, then they still both need to be accessible to the running user.

I can see why it might be needed for updates, although the msi installer has features that address this. Properly used, administrator would be needed for thie initial install, but not for updates. 

And I don't see why it would be needed to advertise a beacon. Would admin be needed for an ordinary transaction? How is a beacon different?