dragonsound

Question: What happens when all HBN's are mined?

dragonsound

Hi guys.

Since hobonickels have a relatively low cap, I never had to consider this with other coins.  

But what happens when the 3 million coins mark is met?  Does both PoW and PoS block creation effectively stop at this point? If so, how are new blocks generated to keep the network going? 

Second question: We are somewhere around the 600,000 coins minted mark already , are we not?  With an average block time of 30 seconds and big PoS rewards does this mean that all coins are projected to be created in less than 2 years from now? 

Thanks. 

unick

Hi guys.

Since hobonickels have a relatively low cap, I never had to consider this with other coins.  

But what happens when the 3 million coins mark is met?  Does both PoW and PoS block creation effectively stop at this point? If so, how are new blocks generated to keep the network going? 

Second question: We are somewhere around the 600,000 coins minted mark already , are we not?  With an average block time of 30 seconds and big PoS rewards does this mean that all coins are projected to be created in less than 2 years from now? 

Thanks. 

I think your are mistaken with another coin... the total supply of HBN will be 120 000 000, we are far from it.

we currently have:

moneysupply" : 3051362.76943800,

So if you are not mistaken with another coin, I don't understand your question

dragonsound

Yes I am mistaken, thanks.  I thought the cap was 3 million --  3 mill did seem quite low.  

I guess I read that the current supply was 3 million and thought it was the cap at the time.   I thought we have 600,000 coins because of this: 

'Mined coins till now' :    http://www.cryptocoincharts.info/v2/coins/show/hbn

Okay besides that, theoretically, what happens when the total supply is reached?  

kingscrown

im tryign to mine back my fortune after selling due to this prices raising

presstab

Yes I am mistaken, thanks.  I thought the cap was 3 million --  3 mill did seem quite low.  

I guess I read that the current supply was 3 million and thought it was the cap at the time.   I thought we have 600,000 coins because of this: 

'Mined coins till now' :    http://www.cryptocoincharts.info/v2/coins/show/hbn

Okay besides that, theoretically, what happens when the total supply is reached?  

For coin supply check here http://162.217.249.198:1080/chain/Hobonickels

Tranz

The 120MM doesn't mean much, it is mostly a placeholder in the code, as many functions require it. Unless it is actively used to stop PoW or PoS, Which in HBN and just about every other coin, it is not. The goal is to keep the Max coins out of reach by the algo used. Such as halving every x blocks. This will not work perfectly for HBN as the PoW is 5 forever.

More testing is needed, but I believe the algo should slow PoS and PoW down in the future, so we have a nice inflation curve towards the goal, but not quite hitting it. 

Personally I see no reason not to simply up this to billions ( as NVC did ) and not worry about it.  Even at current 120 MM, PoW alone won't hit it for 50+ years. Add in PoS and I am guessing we see a few decades before we get close.

As with anything, if it becomes a problem the algo can be tightened, or the max coins can be upped.