cryptomint

QT client locking up

cryptomint

I download HoboNickels QT client, and sent about 80 HBN to my wallet.  I then tried to stake my coins and received an error that led me to believe I needed to encrypt my wallet to stake my coins.  I did so, and now the QT client won't fully start.  It hangs on the splash screen and gives me this error:

A fatal error occurred. HoboNickels can no longer continue safely and will quit.

EXCEPTION: St13runtime_error
CDB():error opening database environment IO error: C:\...\Roaming\HoboNickels

\txleveldb\MANIFEST-005137:The handle is invalid.

C:\..\HoboNickels-qt.exe in Runaway exception

Any advice?  I hope my coins aren't lost :(

edit:I moved my wallet.dat file and now the QT wallet will start correctly (with an empty wallet).

Is there a way to extract my keys from the dat file if I know the password?

Tranz

You can try a few things.

1) Do you have a backup, of the unencrypted wallet? Or a dumpwallet?

2) start the client with -salvagewallet

3) try pywallet https://github.com/Tranz5/pywallet

What version are you on?

What was the error you believed you received that made you encrypt the wallet?

cryptomint

You can try a few things.

1) Do you have a backup, of the unencrypted wallet? Or a dumpwallet?

I do not. This was literally the second thing I did after downloading the wallet.

2) start the client with -salvagewallet

This resulted in the same error where it locks up. Is it supposed to repair the wallet so I can boot into it, or does it export the keys to a different file? I did not try with admin privileges, if that matters.

3) try pywallet https://github.com/Tranz5/pywallet

What version are you on?

What was the error you believed you received that made you encrypt the wallet?

Downloading this right now. Do I just run the python script? The reason I thought it needed to be encrypted is that I misread the wiki and was following the steps for staking an encrypted wallet :(

update: I transferred my wallet.dat file to a whole new PC running hobowallet-qt and it seems to be working now. So I guess I will just need to delete everything and start anew with nothing but my wallet.dat file. Oddly enough, the wallet.dat file isn't encrypted. It must have fubarred before the encryption even started.

Tranz

I'm glad to hear it.

cryptomint

Ok, I'm not sure why I am having so much trouble with the QT client, but it is locking up again.  All I did was download a new one, and let it mint (stake) for a while by leaving it connected, then came back and tried to restart it and I get a fatal error message.

The only thing I can figure is that the program messed up due to my PC locking up and needing to be rebooted.

Are there problems with the client version 1.3.1?  I really want to encrypt my wallet, but I am afraid I will lose it entirely.  Also, I want to be sure staking is working.  Is there any way to test if it is working?

I am on Windows 8.1 if that matters

Tranz

Hi cryptomint,

Sorry about your issues. I would say the 1.3.1 client seems pretty stable. I have not run it at all on win8. Others have, and I have not heard of too many other similar issues. 

I have wallets running on nt, xp, 7(amd and intel) both encrypted and not, running 24/7.  Many of those machines have gone through hard lockups, even to the point of having to repair windows to get back in. But so far I have not been able to trash any of my wallets.

I'm not sure if win8 opens and closes files differently then other version, perhaps try to run in compatibility mode?

I'll do some research on this end see if anything pops out.

presstab

I know that I have had a fatal error on my client before, it would not load up my wallets and everytime it would get an error and force shut. I fixed this be importing the blockchain from one of my other machines, no problems since.  This was on windows server 2012 - I believe 64 bit. 

Here is my chain file if you would like to give it a shot. http://hobonickels.info/downloads/ChainHBN2-19-14.rar

cryptomint

I know that I have had a fatal error on my client before, it would not load up my wallets and everytime it would get an error and force shut. I fixed this be importing the blockchain from one of my other machines, no problems since. This was on windows server 2012 - I believe 64 bit.

Here is my chain file if you would like to give it a shot. http://hobonickels.info/downloads/ChainHBN2-19-14.rar

Do you mind a quick tut on importing the blockchain? is it just a matter of placing the file in the Roaming/HoboNickels directory?

What I have been doing is whenever it stops working, I delete all the files in the Roaming/Hobonickels dir and restart the QT client. I have to download the blockchain all over, but at least QT works at that point.

I'll keep trying and post a solution if I figure it out. It's a pain to troubleshoot because I still don't know exactly what causes it and I have to download the blockchain every time, but if you have a trick to allow me to hasten that process, I would be interested!

Also: it appears that all I have to do to stake coins is leave it connected or connect up every so often. Is there a way to check to make sure this is working? I like to be sure something is working correctly before I leave it to run. I guess if I see extra coins show up in my wallet, I will know it works? But I was hoping for a quicker way.

presstab

Yes you just replace the files in the %appdata% hobonickels directory with files provided in the rar.  It is a few days behind now, but it will be way faster than redownloading the whole chain.  You can check to make sure the staking process is working by simply making sure that you are connected to the network and that your coins are aging. You can check if they are aging simply by the number of confirmations.  The coins age whether you are connected to the network or not, but they are only up for stake if you have them connected to the network and competing for stake.  Sometimes it can take 12-15 days to get a successful stake, but the higher the coin days the higher the probability of staking.

cryptomint

Yes you just replace the files in the %appdata% hobonickels directory with files provided in the rar.  It is a few days behind now, but it will be way faster than redownloading the whole chain.  You can check to make sure the staking process is working by simply making sure that you are connected to the network and that your coins are aging. You can check if they are aging simply by the number of confirmations.  The coins age whether you are connected to the network or not, but they are only up for stake if you have them connected to the network and competing for stake.  Sometimes it can take 12-15 days to get a successful stake, but the higher the coin days the higher the probability of staking.

I tried using your blockchain files...same result.  I even tried using a brand new wallet, brand new QT client download.  It locks up unless I clear out all the files (except for my wallet.dat).  It works great at first boot, it will download the blockchain and then the problems begin.

I guess it doesn't like Windows 8.1?

The error I am getting now is:

A fatal error occurred.  HoboNickels can no longer continue safely and will quit.

EXCEPTION: St13runtime_error

CDB():error opening database environment IO error: C:\***\Roaming\Hobonickels\txleveldb\MANIFEST-005254" The handle is invalid.

C:\**HoboNickels-qt.exe in Runaway exception

edit: Running in Windows 7 compatibility mode allows the QT client to start, but it takes a looooong time to initialize.  The splash screen hangs for probably 4-5 minutes.

Tranz

cryptomint you could try this procedure. 

#1 shutdown client

#2 remove %appdata%\HoboNickels\txleveldb folder

#3 start the client up with the following switch -loadblock=%appdata%\HoboNickels\blk0001.dat

This will re-index the level db directory.

I know there was a problem with Macs and level db becoming corrupt due to differences in how it's file handles worked. It actually took the core bitcoin dev team a while to solve. I wonder if there is something similar in win 8.1

DigitalHobo

One thought for cryptomint:

When you launch your QT wallet, try launching it as Administrator (Hold the shift key down, right click the HoboNickels-QT Icon and select 'run as Administrator')

See if that produces any different results for you.

cryptomint

One thought for cryptomint:

When you launch your QT wallet, try launching it as Administrator (Hold the shift key down, right click the HoboNickels-QT Icon and select 'run as Administrator')

See if that produces any different results for you.

Launching as admin in Win 7 compatibility mode had the same results as just launching in compatibility mode. 

However, now the compatibility work around has stoppped working.  It seems like something in the way it is recording the block chain is causing the error, because the only thing that changed on my pc is the block chain grew.

This is the error I now receive:

Assertion failed!
Program: C:\..HoboNickels-qt.ext
File: src\kernel.cpp, Line 372
Expression: pindex->pprev||pindex->GetBlockHash()==(!fTestNet ? hashGenesisBloc:hashGenesisBlockeTestNet)

Tranz

Yes as mentioned above that assert failure is due to the index becoming corrupted.. I am not sure why this seems to be happening to you so often. i wonder if there is some type of virus protection that is preventing normal usage of files. You may want to check your firewall/virus protection and make sure it is set to normal access. Sometimes executables can be flagged as non trusted, and although they work they can have eradicate behavior.

After you check those settings. You will need to follow these steps again.

#1 shutdown client

#3 start the client up with the following switch -loadblock=%appdata%\HoboNickels\blk0001.dat

Again sorry about these issues, I know it can be frustrating. After you get back up and running, send me a PM for a little gift.

cryptomint

Ok,

Yes as mentioned above that assert failure is due to the index becoming corrupted.. I am not sure why this seems to be happening to you so often. i wonder if there is some type of virus protection that is preventing normal usage of files. You may want to check your firewall/virus protection and make sure it is set to normal access. Sometimes executables can be flagged as non trusted, and although they work they can have eradicate behavior.

After you check those settings. You will need to follow these steps again.

#1 shutdown client

Again sorry about these issues, I know it can be frustrating. After you get back up and running, send me a PM for a little gift.

I am running Avast and I haven't marked HBN QT with any special permissions nor any special blocks either.

Your instructions work, but I have to run as admin, and the splash screen still takes an average of 8-10 minutes to boot to the client.

Very weird.  I guess I will mark this solved, but please keep this on your radar and I will update if anything changes.

Thanks for all the help, and PM sent :)