Quez

"Strommarkttreffen" April 7

27 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Good news,

it seems I'll get the opportunity to present about blockchain for usage in the German/European energy market in Berlin (in English).

I plan a presentation called "Blockchain yes, but which to choose?" in that I distinguish between blockchain algorithms and work out the pros of POR against POS and POW.

Please send me any graphics, ideas, input and especially input for use cases of blockchain in an energy market to my forum account or this thread.

I also would like to join the next hangout to talk about it, if possible.

Quez

Edited by Quez

Hi Quez, Im quite a fan of SolarCoin (www.solarcoin.org) which is a reward for solar PV generation, one aim is using the blockchain as a way to log solar energy production to create an open energy database called ElectriCChain (www.electricchain.org) and I actually wrote some code as a POC to log my solar generation data into the SolarCoin blockchain https://github.com/Scalextrix/ELCC. The plan is to allow anyone to query the blockchain via a block explorer and see near real-time how much solar PV energy is being produced.  If you want more info there is a Slack channel link on the top of the ElectriCChain webpage.

I think blockchains have enormous potential to democratize energy consumption data and allow smart IoT devices to know when to operate to reduce costs to the consumer and carbon emissions.  We have seen clothes washers where you can control it from your smartphone, but who cares (?!), you still have to stand in front of the machine and put your dirty socks in and put the detergent in; so why have an app on your phone, because its cool?
If that washing machine can detect when energy is very cheap/low carbon (from the blockchain), and can see which other high energy usage devices you are using right now (kettle, water heater, dish-washer) it can decide when to start and stop the washing/drying cycle; now you dont need a smartphone app, you dont need to do anything except put your socks in and let the machine decide when to wash them.  I thnk Miele are working on a similar idea, but without the power of block-chain.  Its even more powerful if you generate your own energy from wind/solar.

Na, erst mal Gückwunsch zum Vortrag.

Die Blockchain-Manie jetzt auch im Strommarkt, nach den Banken und Schiffen ^^

Aber wo einsetzen?

Ich könnte mir vorstellen, dass man so "in Echtzeit" die Produktion von kleinen Solaranlagen registriert. Deren Produktion kann dann leichter abgelesen werden, also ohne großartige Verknüpfung zwischen allen Interessierten. Das dürfte insbesondere zur Kurzzeit-vorhersage und langfristigen Statistik-basierten Voraussage nützlich sein, wenn jeder an die Daten kommt.

Auch denkbar wäre ein virtuelles Grid zwischen kleinen Privatanlagen. Ich verkaufe dir meinen Solarstrom, wenn ich nicht zu Hause bin, wenn du mir morgen Nacht deinen Windstrom gibst. Jahresende Abrechnung. Keine Unternehmen dazwischen, einfach nur eine Preis basierte Kalkulation. (Wenn du damit auftauchst, bist du für den Rest deines Lebens aber persona non grata für die Energieunternehmen ;) )

Gridcoin is cool! It helps Humanity, too!

Warning: politically interested person. 

The workshop has the following agenda:

• Simon Göß (EnergyBrainpool): Blockchain in der Energiewirtschaft [blockchain in the Energy Economy]
• Oliver Lohmann (AssmannPeiffer Rechtsanwälte): The Legal Framework of Blockchain in the Energy Industry
• Kirsten Hasberg (Energy Democracy): Democratizing the energy sector: One hypothesis, one application and a research project on blockchain in the energy sector
• Friedrich Rojahn (Solandeo): Smart meter and future business models
• Stephan Witt (Theron): Smart metering
• Tobias Becke (TU Hamburg): Blockchain yes, but which to choose?

Ill have 20 minutes, 1/3 of it will be a discussion so I have about 12-15 minutes.

Scalextrix I agree blockchain has a big potential, thanks for the input, I have taken SolarCoin into consideration.
I have put together some slides. Please comment, add (especially more sophisticated graphics if you have or even create some) and correct me.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wu0qtdru4j9bb1v/AAAFT_s1VLia5m6kQyK3xamwa?dl=0

I used this open font: http://www.fontspace.com/luke-owens/oregon-ldo

Kind Regards, Quez

Posted (edited)

Well done Quez, I took a look and slides 2 & 3 are the same...

Many in the audience might not understand crypto, you might need to explain a bit more what a block-chain is and why it is better than a normal database; irrevocable, distributed, open, resilient and so on

Edited by Scalextrix
LokiToki likes this

Posted (edited)

Scalextrix I just have about 12 minutes and we will hear 3 blockchain talks before myself (I am the last speaker)

2 and 3 are not the same, I am trying to elaborate the key words in this slide. Take a look at the slides again and at the notes I wrote

Will take care of typo, thanks.

Edited by Quez

Sry, but i don't get it. Blockchain okay, algorithms to secure okay too...but than you talk about Coins and getting rewarded. The transition is a bit harsh when you consider your audience consists of multiple age groups with completely different educational preconditions. I'm a bit into the topic but i don't understand why "we" have to crunch bitcoins to secure or energy-consumption behavior. Why the electric meter just sends how much MWh "i" used respectively produced every month or so. You get the point? ^^ 

Sry, but i don't get it. Blockchain okay, algorithms to secure okay too...but than you talk about Coins and getting rewarded. The transition is a bit harsh when you consider your audience consists of multiple age groups with completely different educational preconditions. I'm a bit into the topic but i don't understand why "we" have to crunch bitcoins to secure or energy-consumption behavior. Why the electric meter just sends how much MWh "i" used respectively produced every month or so. You get the point? ^^

Actually I do not get the point, sorry. Can you elaborate it a bit more?

Ok, np. ^^ I have no fu**ing clue what PoW, PoS, PoR and Bitcoin have to do with measuring and saving electricity consumption and production and why a rewarding technique is related to all this as a security algorithm.

Slide 5 -> Maybe switch the Litecoin logo for an Ethereum logo? Ethereum is currently POW (POS planned in the future), and it has a higher marketcap than litecoin.

Slide 5 -> 2014 electricity consumption quote, surely this is even larger now? Is there a 2016 estimate?

Slide 8 -> "Gridcoin supports international science on the BOINC network" --> "Gridcoin supports volunteer distributed computing on the BOINC network" perhaps? Not every project is science based, BOINC supports any kind of distributed computing

Great slides, looking forwards to any possible recording. Best of luck on the 7th! :)

Quez likes this

^ Smash that upvote button! ;D

Follow me on:

Github   Twitter   Steemit   SoundCloud (Hangouts)

Ok, np. ^^ I have no fu**ing clue what PoW, PoS, PoR and Bitcoin have to do with measuring and saving electricity consumption and production and why a rewarding technique is related to all this as a security algorithm.

There is no connection, but I want to establish one. A blockchain (usually similar to a cryptocurrency as securing it needs a rewarding mechanism) can replace the energy market which is very slow and expensive. With a blockchain you can transfer money and information. And you do not need more to establish an energy market as it is just information and money. Devices can talk to each other much more efficient than people can.

There are bots which are generating money by buying and sellling stocks because they are much faster than manual traders can be talking to the exchange APIs.

Slide 5 -> Maybe switch the Litecoin logo for an Ethereum logo? Ethereum is currently POW (POS planned in the future), and it has a higher marketcap than litecoin.

Slide 5 -> 2014 electricity consumption quote, surely this is even larger now? Is there a 2016 estimate?

Slide 8 -> "Gridcoin supports international science on the BOINC network" --> "Gridcoin supports volunteer distributed computing on the BOINC network" perhaps? Not every project is science based, BOINC supports any kind of distributed computing

Great slides, looking forwards to any possible recording. Best of luck on the 7th! :)

Good idea to switch logos.

I have not found any more "valid" sources

https://karlodwyer.github.io/publications/pdf/bitcoin_KJOD_2014.pdf

It is even possible that consumption decreased, thats why I like this fiigurative number... Ireland ...

Yeah well Ill try focusing on science as most of the people there will be scientists, but you are right.

Thanks for the input!

C.M likes this