jbackhur

Gridcoin... Raspberry Pi or Mac?

4 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, I am very new to the Gridcoin community. I have been participating in BOINC for a few months now on my Mac laptop, but just recently discovered Gridcoin.

As I have seen a lot of people say, setting up Gridcoin on a Mac is pretty complicated, and I am finding this out as well. I've pretty much hit a wall trying to install everything. 

My question is, do I still need to install everything on my Mac if I had one computer (say a Raspberry Pi) running my wallet and everything? I already have BOINC setup with the gridcoin.co pool, but that's about as far as I got.

Sorry maybe this seems like a very novice question, but I would like to get set up with Gridcoin and can't seem to get much further than that. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks everyone!!

You can use a RPI. Just fill in the GRC address into your pool account.

You can use a RPI. Just fill in the GRC address into your pool account.

So if I use a RPI, do I still need to do all of the coding in Terminal so that my work on the Mac counts, or will it count because it is hooked up to the same manager/account on the Pi?

Thanks for the reply!

First of all: I am still a Linux newbie but I learned to set up a wallet ;)

You crunch in pool mode. Though the pool is counting your efforts and pays you to the GRC address you insert in your pool account page.

You do not have to do any coding except for installing the wallet. Use a GUI version of Ubuntu for example (I use Ubuntu Mate), install the QT version of the wallet. Here is a guide: http://wiki.gridcoin.us/Linux_Downloads_(pre-compiled)#Using_the_Ubuntu_PPA

Some hints: do not use a RPI zero, it has too few RAM, RPI2B or later should be good as they have 1 GB. And you will need swap space to run the wallet smoothly. Here is another guide: https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-add-swap-on-ubuntu-14-04

You can open a terminal with strg+alt+t

Report back or go to IRC if you can't manage to set everything up.

BTW, it might be wise to change the pool because support for pool.gridcoin.co seems to have stopped. A new pool including video guides is being developed. Have a look at grcpool.com