C.M

Collatz Conjecture

WaltF

Collatz wasn't included in the last 2 superblocks. Any idea why? Don't think it was de-whitelisted as i would have heard of that.

MiriB

Serverside problems would do that.. If the project server was not able to communicate at the time the superblock was mined, that'd be the problem....

If I'd hazard a quess, as most of the projects, Collatz is run by a private person who uses equipment not necessarily meant for the loads they have to cope with....And I do admit this is what I've gathered from reading forums regarding Collatz, not solid knowledge,

they tend to fail under load of this kind, and I'd imagine running something like Collatz with the s*** ton of users it sees, the router/server gives up the ghost every now and then...

I don't claim to know the true story but just by reading the community on Collatz that's the impression I got. No offence meant to anyone if I'm wrong....

Orpy

Collatz has gone again :(

White & Grey Lists show no problems but the Gridcoinstats.eu Project page states that it has been excluded.

I haven't seen any problems coping with receipt and delivery of high volumes of project data from client side...

Orpy

And down again since yesterday afternoon.

This time it's a DNS problem.

The server is functioning OK on its IP address, but the domain name isn't resolving.

Orpy

And excluded yet again...

Aurum

I can see no useful reason to disprove the Collatz Conjecture. This project has no benefit to anybody. I don't think this kind of project should be Whitelisted for GRC. Let's take a vote.

• Downvote 1

Orpy

Beggars can't be choosers.

Gridcoin will probably get booted from Collatz soon just like it has been from PrimeGrid -- with the approval and applause of all the other crunchers...

• Winner 1
  • Downvote 1

Nethlek
On 12/17/2018 at 5:52 PM, Aurum said:

I can see no useful reason to disprove the Collatz Conjecture. This project has no benefit to anybody. I don't think this kind of project should be Whitelisted for GRC. Let's take a vote.

We are not the arbiters of science; it's not appropriate for us to decide what is or isn't "real" science. If you dont like collatz, you're welcome to crunch a different project but don't seek to punish those that do enjoy it by trying to get it kicked off the whitelist just because you don't see an immediate use. Science is about curiosity, not usefulness. The whole point of Gridcoin is to provide a counter-measure to the financial ecosystem where profit (aka "usefulness") decides what gets done and what does not. If we were to change the rules to only allow "useful" science to be done, that would undermine the whole idea behind Gridcoin IMO.

• Like 4
  • Winner 1

suncrunch
On 12/17/2018 at 11:52 AM, Aurum said:

I respectfully disagree. Using formulas to calculate the volume of an aluminum can has little benefit when one can simply fill it up with a liquid and then measure how much liquid the can holds, but knowing the math formulas for doing so has its benefits and applications.

Besides, Collatz runs better on my equipment and allows me to use my computer while crunching. This is useful to me as my computer keeps my office warm.

As for the poll itself, are we voting "Yes" to whitelist Collatz or "Yes" to "Focus on beneficial projects"?

• Like 1

Gunde [closed]
15 hours ago, suncrunch said:

As for the poll itself, are we voting "Yes" to whitelist Collatz or "Yes" to "Focus on beneficial projects"?

Question: Should Collatz Conjecture be Whitelisted???

We are voting to keep it in whitelist or not. Yes to keep it or No to remove it.

suncrunch

Thanks.

Aurum

How is it that Collatz Conjecture pays so many more points than GPUgrid??? GPUgrid is doing legitimate research that could actually lead to something useful as opposed to the toy Collatz Conjecture.

suncrunch
53 minutes ago, Aurum said:

How is it that Collatz Conjecture pays so many more points than GPUgrid??? GPUgrid is doing legitimate research that could actually lead to something useful as opposed to the toy Collatz Conjecture.

From my understanding, the more users and computing power a certain project gets, the less pay each GFLOP gets. If Collatz pays more for a given graphics card, then they don't have the total computing power that GPUgrid does. This is similar to the difficulty of another coin like Litecoin. The more miners online and hashing, the higher the difficulty and the less each MH pays out.

I suppose you'd also be in favor of dropping most of the other math-related projects as well?

• Like 1

Orpy
2 hours ago, Aurum said:

How's the voting going on your previous whining?

• Like 1