The Kepler and Maxwell TITAN cards had a lot better DP Floating Point then the rest of the line - AND than anything Pascal.

The original Titan and the Titan Black were Kepler generation, and were competative but not quite up the the Tahiti cards - the Maxwell generation had the same divider at a lot higher base clock and DID outperform the Tahiti (by quite a bit on paper at least and apparently somewhat so in real life).

Hawaii was lower divider than Tahiti, but the base performance was enough higher that they ended up being about 70-80% overall performance of a Tahiti (varies with the specific models on each side) on DP FP work.

If you want crazy performance,  you're looking for some of the FIrepro line cards - but GHODS those things cost an arm and a leg even used when you can find them.

At this point, I'm pretty sure all of my dedicated Moo rigs are at least making enough to pay for their electric usage - but it's mighty close.

I suspect the dual Tahiti rig would do well if I switched it back to Milkyway, after the month or so it takes RAC to ramp up to full.

Edited by QuintLeo

Spot 20 - R9 390 - but that's the highest Hawaii as of when I just looked.

Takes a bit more than a glance though - one has to know that the only R9 200 series cards that had 3GB of RAM were the Tahiti cards.

I suspect most Titan folks have "better" things to do with their high-end cards than run Milkyway.

I'm not arguing that the Tahiti cards are the best price-performance for Milky Way - they are hands down as long as you don't have to pay a crazy "cryptomining premium" for them.

Just saying they're not the only good performance choice.

Yes, original Titans have better FP64 performance on paper, but for [email protected], users reported worse performance than with HD7970:

http://milkyway.cs.rpi.edu/milkyway/forum_thread.php?id=4171

Similar thing with FirePro cards. In this very thread (page 2), user boristsybin reported FirePro W8100 (top host #9) having roughly equal performance in Milkyway as HD7970, although specs for W8100 show 2.1 TFLOPS in FP64.

On ‎10‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 1:40 PM, QuintLeo said:

...Hawaii was lower divider than Tahiti, but the base performance was enough higher that they ended up being about 70-80% overall performance of a Tahiti (varies with the specific models on each side) on DP FP work.

If you want crazy performance,  you're looking for some of the FIrepro line cards - but GHODS those things cost an arm and a leg even used when you can find them....

Unfortunately, there is something off with how the Milkyway performance equation is calculated.  You point out one of the first suspect real world findings.  The Hawaii consumer processors, even with the crippled double floating point, 320 GFlops or 1/16, performs at 70% of the Tahiti GPUs.

You then assume potential crazy performance improvement from the Firepro line card given they have 2.5 TFlops of double precision vs. the 1024 double precision of the Tahiti.  It's reasonable to assume the performance would be in the 2x range vs. the 280x,  unfortunately, the performance improvement is closer to ~20%

Maybe there's an issue with how [email protected] is implemented which doesn't allow taking full advantage of the DP capabilities of these chips.  For Nvidia, it looks to be due to the opencl implementation, for Firepro I'm not sure...

That being said, a big influencer on performance are the number of stream processors on the chip.  The S9150 has approx. 30% more stream processors than the 280x.

Panama

Edited by panamaatx

How much daily GRC from 280x?

I read some articles leading me to believe it was possible to generate 50 grc daily from a 280x or 7970 card.  Is this possible?  Or is the information old enough that things have changed?

1 hour ago, panamaatx said:

How much daily GRC from 280x?

I read some articles leading me to believe it was possible to generate 50 grc daily from a 280x or 7970 card.  Is this possible?  Or is the information old enough that things have changed?

Things have indeed changed a lot, competition is a lot tougher now. A single 280X might yield 9-10 GRC per day now (in [email protected]).

7 minutes ago, Vortac said:

Things have indeed changed a lot, competition is a lot tougher now. A single 280X might yield 9-10 GRC per day now (in [email protected]).

Thanks Vortac!  Too bad this doesn't even cover electricity.  :(

On ‎2‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 2:25 PM, QuintupleLeo said:

Depends on your electric cost - it covers mine just fime, though *usually* not with a lot to spare.

If you're at national average rate or higher, it won't and other than for brief "high price" timeframes it probably never did.

I did the math with the 50 GRC daily rate, posted about 1 yr. ago, at that rate it was fine.  With .11 cent electricity, running the card at 235W, not including PC overhead, would cost .62 cents/day.  The earnings would be $5.00 to $2.50 for 10 to 5 cent GRC.

At 9 GRC a day that figure goes to .90 or .45 per day.  Whole point being, the same compute power can be used to generate other cryptos for better returns.  I really like the BOINC projects, but these figures aren't working for me.

Hey everyone! Quick (possibly stupid) question. Do the tasks that are already downloaded for my current NVIDIA gpu need to be run on a NVIDIA card? I currently am using a Quadro K4000, but have a R9 280X on the way. I was planning on swapping the cards, not trying to run both. Should I let the tasks I have downloaded finish before switching cards? Thanks!