NEWS
  • WELCOME TO CRYPTOCURRENCYTALK!
  • We've upgraded the website with a lot of new features!
  • 3 NEW THEMES! Click on the + Themes button above!
  • Notice about SOCIAL LINKS: UPDATE YOUR SOCIAL LINKS
  • New video section, add your videos: VIDEO SECTION
  • Advertising will be available shortly, hold tight.
  • If you have any issues with the new site, please submit a support ticket: SUPPORT
James Adams

Cloud Mining with VPS (DigitalOcean)

Hi guys! This is my first post in this forum, so pardon me if my post is not that clear. Here I'll teach you how to cloud mine with VPS. I'm using DigitalOcean because it's an awesome website! (Note: The coding bit should work with all VPS using OS Ubuntu 14.04 64-bit.)

Anyway, step 1: Sign up for DigitalOcean at https://m.do.co/c/86de2030631f. You will get free $10 referral credit if you deposit $25 dollars into your account. 

Step 2: Complete payment information by depositing $25 dollars (they will not let you create a droplet until you pay them $25) by either using PayPal (Yes they accept paypal here!) or entering your credit card info.

Step 3: Create a droplet, preferably the cheapest one (in case you are learning and do not want to waste that much money at first). Choose operating system: Ubuntu 14.04.4 64-bit. Choose data centre region and create droplet.

Step 4: Go to your droplet after it finishes loading. Click on Access on the left-hand side of your droplet. Click on Console Address, and a webpage that looks something like command prompt will pop up. Click on any key to log in.

Step 5: Type "root" (no inverted commas) into the console address. A code demanding for password should come out. Type in your password you see in your email EXACTLY. When typing your password, you should not see any change in the webpage. It is a security feature. Press enter when done.

Step 6: After logging in successfully, type in (or copy) the codes below exactly (you might need to wait for a few minutes for some of the codes). Codes below are for mining Monero. (You can also cloud-mine other cryptocoins!)

(Note that all these codes are for mining Monero [XMR])

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install git make automake screen libcurl4-openssl-dev

git clone https://github.com/wolf9466/cpuminer-multi

cd cpuminer-multi

./autogen.sh

CFLAGS="-march=native" ./configure --disable-aes-ni 

make

screen -S miner ./minerd -a cryptonight -o monero pool address -u monero wallet address -p x -t 1
(The last line of code should look something like: screen -S miner ./minerd -a cryptonight -o stratum+tcp://xmr.crypto-pool.fr:3333 -u 492xkTA1oHfdYes8nxqAukcAemEgQmdyMXV833fuHGtfQLmk4FxH9QZLUhFvFAgNt5fjmzSC8FWfmSfHLBhdmA8oGfy6rGX -p x -t 1
Pool address is replaced by your pool's mining address and wallet address replaced by your real wallet address. 

You should see some codes about Stratum detecting new blocks and stuff. You're good to go even though you can't see your hashrates. (I use the cheapest option and found out that the hashrate is approximately 15h/s. Not much, but worth it.)

You can shut down your PC or laptop and you're still mining!

Tips

Sometimes, DigitalOcean terminates the processes on your droplet (aka makes your CPU usage from 100% to 0%), very rarely(maybe once every 5 days). Most causes are because you used up more than 100% of your allocated CPU to mine. Don't worry, fixes are easy!

Step 1: Log into console access.

Step 2: Type in the following codes:

(Note that all these codes are for mining Monero [XMR])

cd cpuminer-multi

screen -S miner ./minerd -a cryptonight -o monero pool address -u monero wallet address -p x -t 1
Edited by James Adams