whackly

Noob (squared) in Hoboland. Point me in the right direction.

6 posts in this topic

I have been looking through the information available and I have not been able to identify anything relevant.  That doesn't mean that it's not relevant, just that I can not identify it.

I have and old laptop running lubuntu 14.04.  Everything is up to date.  Bfgminer is installed.  Mono is installed.  Multiminer is in, and fires up.

I have two Bitmain U3s and a Bitmain S3, all soon to be wired to a single 1000w psu.  

I have a desire to mine some hobonickels but, except for getting that far, I have no idea how.

I have the hobonickels-qt.tar.gz file.  When extracted there is just an item named hobonickels-qt.  I haven't the slightest idea what to do with it.

The real problem here is that I am a noob to both linux and crytocurrency mining.  Perhaps i shouldn't have tried to learn both at the same time but.. here I am.  

So, I am just hoping that someone will start pointing me to the dumbest fisher price level instructions.  I don't seem to be able to even formulate a search adequate to find them, let alone understand them.

Thanks in advance.

-WHACKLY

no dice?  ok... what if i pay you?  seriously...  get on discord for an hour...  tell me what to do...  $20 via paypal?  i'd throw some nickels your way except.. well...  yeah....  that's not working out so well.

also, did you know the guy who made the carved nickel in the logo streams on twitch at twitch.tv/jayhobo?  well, you do now.

-Whackly.

Welcome to hobonickels. The qt file is the hobonickels wallet and once you have some coins in it you'll enjoy watching it stake. My linux computer is a Radxa Rock single board computer which I run using a command line interface. This requires using the hobonickelsd daemon  (i.e. the wallet without the graphical user interface). You can build the daemon from source files by following Tranz's thread for raspberry pi 

thank you, snowbear.  i'm going to follow this rabbit hole as far as i can.  i appreciate the assist.

Focus on getting the wallet running.  You'll need it to deposit mining proceeds. When you get a decent balance, the staking income from the wallet will be far greater than what you could earn by mining. BTW the miner you mentioned is a SHA256 miner and HoboNickels is mined with Scrypt miners so you can't just plug in, connect to a pool, and make HBN directly.  You could mine a SHA256 coin, sell it on an exchange, and buy HBN however. The HBN wallet can also be set to mine and stake simultaneously. 

Let us know how you fair on this. If you are truly that green I would start with a Prebuild Windows client first to get the hang of it. Then try to compile your own for unix.  The hardest part is getting all of the correct libraries installed.