Quez

[Testnet] Binary Superblock + Newbie Boost Reactivation

177 posts in this topic

Finally got around to getting Testnet up and ruinning anyone able send some coins my way.... msnvERrz2Hh198cgZSgYRe3HeYykk7tNd3

sent!

Cheers.. received 

7 active connections atm as well

Beer Donations Accepted Here

GRC | SBouhXWy9xJVhPVkcGBhmYoyx9Sy5yovsh

BTC | 1B2P7mrc8Fd4qNgJMqZoPtH3H8C3J2n4uL

Earn Some Bitcoin Here

Gridcoin Research 3.5.4.8/MSI=38.8

Mandatory upgrade for TestNet

Leisure Upgrade for Prod (Recommended for external nodes)

- Eclipse attack mitigation 

- TestNet: Corrected grandfather block for newbie rule; please test newbie rule

- Neural network will help maintain node trust levels

- Added network interest payments and % to list network

- Added network interest payments and % to list rsa

- Removed invalid project error from initial sync (reported by Andrew Wood)

- ****** Fixed issue preventing superblock from staking ******
Derpathon and sEpuLchEr like this

Gridcoin Research 3.5.4.7/MSI=38.7
Mandatory upgrade for TestNet
Leisure Upgrade for Prod (Recommended for external nodes)

- Eclipse attack mitigation 
- TestNet: Corrected grandfather block for newbie rule; please test newbie rule
- Neural network will help maintain node trust levels
- Added network interest payments and % to list network
- Added network interest payments and % to list rsa
- Removed invalid project error from initial sync (reported by Andrew Wood)

RE: Eclipse attack mitigation, can you specify which btc/blk commits specifically (using commit id from google doc) you implemented so we can keep track (incase of future related issues)?

Aside from that, excellent release :D

edit:

Unsure if you replied earlier, but if newbies work is tracked from beacon sent time instead of first stake, then is the newbie stake bonus neccessary any more?

We could probably remove the newbie weight boost; but - maybe we should just lower it a little since they start with such a low balance........  Especially going forward with 2000+ researchers, maybe we should have it.

I sent you a PM before the release came out so that will probably answer that question.

Rob

Sep & Derp let me know how we do now against Eclipse attack in Prod with your software firewall utilities tuned off.

So far the external prod node is doing well.

Roger. Will do that and let it run.

Report when i wake up later :P

Gridcoin - Paving the Way Towards a Better Tomorrow

GRC: SJgRQKZp19AG49bPwmoJyWQCHpd6CfTzKg || BTC: 13pTr3qXWDvycRLBPgt3bJzJst4ju46CGS

Sep & Derp let me know how we do now against Eclipse attack in Prod with your software firewall utilities tuned off.

Turned it off for testnet, I'll turn it off on one (random) prod node & report back within 24hrs with logs.

I have zero connections on .8

Who else is running an open/external testnet node? Put your IP here please. Thanks!

192.168.1.3 - currently upgrading (again!)

I have zero connections on .8

Who else is running an open/external testnet node? Put your IP here please. Thanks!

192.168.1.3 - currently upgrading (again!)

Vaskor, 192.168.*.*   are your local network addresses. Not your external address.

edit: whatismyipaddress.com (IPv6) or myipaddress.com (IPv4) will give you your external address. Or check your router info.

P.S. It should also show up in your debug.log near the beginning

Edited by Skook

http://signature.statseb.fr/sig-1518.png

Rob, I waited a little while more before reporting in.

The external nodes seems to be doing very well. No rpc lags, syncing blocks like clockwork, and debug is clean.

Edit: Load avg on the server is also normal.

Edited by sEpuLchEr

Gridcoin - Paving the Way Towards a Better Tomorrow

GRC: SJgRQKZp19AG49bPwmoJyWQCHpd6CfTzKg || BTC: 13pTr3qXWDvycRLBPgt3bJzJst4ju46CGS

As I understood the newbie boost should only work on testnet, but I'm not on testnet and the boost still worked (running v3.5.4.8 on linux box). I've staked 6 blocks in less than 24 hours, and my DPOR weight was >200k (only having 7.7k GRC in the wallet and magnitude of 70).

P.S. the net weight (as shown in my wallet) has jumped from 200M - 300M to >400M in the past couple of days.

Edited by MantasJ

As I understood the newbie boost should only work on testnet, but I'm not on testnet and the boost still worked (running v3.5.4.8 on linux box). I've staked 6 blocks in less than 24 hours, and my DPOR weight was >200k (only having 7.7k GRC in the wallet and magnitude of 70).

P.S. the net weight (as shown in my wallet) has jumped from 200M - 300M to >400M in the past couple of days.

The newbie boost is visible with the command 'list rsa' (The field is called RSA Weight- it should Always be zero in prod).

The wallet weight is a different (unchanged) calculation.

The max newbie boost is 100,000 btw.

Its not enabled in prod.

Btw, it does not go into effect when your list rsa lifetime cpid research paid is > 0 either.  (IE, RSA Weight stays at Zero in list rsa when Lifetime CPID Research paid > 0).

rob

The newbie boost is visible with the command 'list rsa'.  The wallet weight is a different (unchanged) calculation.

The max newbie boost is 100,000 btw.

Its not enabled in prod.

Btw, it does not go into effect when your list rsa lifetime cpid research paid is > 0 either.

rob

I've started using gridcoin a couple of weeks ago, so 2 days ago my lifetime cpid research paid was 0, mag ~70, balance 7.7k - DPOR weight ~8k, est. reward time arround 30 days

then after upgrading to 3.5.4.5 (I think), DPOR weight jumped to >200k and I've got 6 small PoR payments in a day. At the moment everything is back to normal.

I'm not complaining, just interested what happened if it's not the newbie boost :)

Rob, I waited a little while more before reporting in.

The external nodes seems to be doing very well. No rpc lags, syncing blocks like clockwork, and debug is clean.

Edit: Load avg on the server is also normal.

Best news Ive heard in 24 hours.  And I see we finally staked a superblock.

I hope we can chalk that last superblock up as waiting for the supermajority to upgrade to 3547+.  (Im not guessing here, pointing out that the rules before 3546 enforcing the beacon count simply did fail in reality).

But, we do need to ensure the superblock stakes relatively easily after 75% upgrade to this new version.

My testing environment.

https://imgur.com/8oMrPUU

Things I have noticed/tested:
- The DPOR weight is interestingly rising. First it was 100k, then 200k, now 300k. See (1) and (3). You can see the RSA weight being 100k on both nodes.
- I needed >1 GRC to send a beacon. Exactly 1 GRC is not enough to send a beacon, 2 GRC were enough. See (2)
- "Number of transactions" and "payment date" are not working on the main page of the wallet -> see (1) and (3)

- The magnitude update process seems very slow, I needed 2 days from having verified credits + beacon sent to a displayed magnitude

On the node (4) I wish to confirm sEps 4 days from starting with 100 GRC to the first block.

Are there any other things I might test?