Quez

[Testnet] Binary Superblock + Newbie Boost Reactivation

177 posts in this topic

I guess its time for a new Testnet thread to avoid spam in the ANN thread.

Guide to testnet participation:

Here's my draft tutorial:

So you want to help by running a testnet node, but don't know where to start?  Thanks in advance for your help.  The more people on testnet, the faster it will get confirmations, which makes things far easier for the development team.  

The first, and very important, step is to make sure that you're running the latest version.  The development of testnet is rapid, often with several versions released in a day, and they're almost always mandatory updates for testnet users.  An easy way to make sure of this is to re-run

$ git pull

if you're building your own client, or use the auto-upgrade facility. 

Testnet is completely separate from mainnet; they run on different ports, so you can run both at the same time.  

If you have specified an RPC port in your gridcoinresearch.conf file, see an important note below at the *.  Otherwise, your existing file will be used, and work properly, automatically. 

In either case, move to the directory the executable is in (Windows users: Start -> run, type cmd, then enter

cd C:\ProgramFiles\Gridcoinresearch\

and start the Gridcoin client with the --testnet argument:

Linux:

$ ./gridcoinresearch --testnet

Windows:

gridcoinresearch.exe --testnet

You can also create a shortcut on Windows (or trivial shell script on Linux) to start the program with the appropriate argument. 

Now let it run.  As with mainnet, you will need at least some coins to mine or stake.  At the moment, there is no fountain on testnet, so feel free to ask for some coins in this thread, or in the #gridcoin channel on Freenode IRC (if you don't have an IRC -- Internet Relay Chat -- client, there's a web-based one at https://webchat.freenode.net/, and you can just type #gridcoin under "Channels:").

Once you have coins, it's "hurry up and wait" time: you'll still need to send a beacon (if not done automatically), get into a superblock, and then wait for PoR/PoS rewards. 

Thanks again for helping out!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*If you have specified an RPC port, then using the same configuration file will not work, since your main and testnet client will both attempt to attach to that port.  You will need to edit the file, and change the port number to a different one. 

First off, copy your gridcoinresearch.conf file from ~/.GridcoinResearch/ to ~/.GridcoinResearch/testnet on Linux, creating the directory if necessary.  On Windows,  copy it from AppData/Roaming/GridcoinResearch/testnet to AppData/Roaming/GridcoinResearch/testnet. 

Alternatively, you can create a new configuration file, remembering to set your BOINC email address if you want to mine rather than being an investor:

email=you@provider.com

In any case, change the RPC port in the "testnet" folder's copy of gridcoinresearch.conf to a different one, save, and THEN start the testnet client as outlined above. 

Edited by Quez

I guess its time for a new Testnet thread to avoid spam in the ANN thread.

Quez

EDIT: BTW I am online in testnet, 26k blocks, no connection

Im testing a new version now, but its probably going to take me 2 hours to release this so please dont stop doing anything for this :)

Its 18:13 now and Im shooting for a 20:15 release...

Quez likes this

Testnet GRCNode online:

addnode=testnet.grcnode.co.uk

http://grcnode.co.uk/json/Testnet/testnet.html

PROTIP:

Anyone that's interested in trawling through debug.log should check out BareTail

You can watch your debug.log live as it updates, but the far more interesting feature is highlighting rows: for fast debugging:

TgZXDsS.png

Edited by Double-oh-derp

Gridcoin Research 3.5.4.3/MSI=38.3

Leisure Upgrade - TestNet Release

- Made testnet honor the %appdata%\testnet directory for the gridcoinresearch.conf file.  Note you will have to copy/add your testnet config file.

- Fixed bug preventing testnet from syncing.

- Added newbie boost of 25000 weight for blocks 1-5; Ensure newbies are immune from mintlimiter rule (any block above zero should stake).

(Note that RSA weight still uses the 14 day lookback to find the CPID... We may want to change this to use the lifetime paid value... will look into this further tomorrow).

Please test this with a new cpid, since this is the most critical feature.

- Added RSA weight to list rsa, and added PoolMining value to list rsa and list cpids

- Set poolmining=true if you use the PiGrid pool.  (Overview should say CPID=POOL).

- Added a configuration screen (Advanced | Advanced configuration).  This will allow configuration of some config key values.  Moved Install Galaza to this page.  Removed from NN page.

- Added boinc stats to the Neural Network boinc stats tab.  

- Tweaked speech so it will still work when enabled.

- Made superblocks suppress zero magnitude CPIDs to save space.  Note the binary feature is not ready yet.  (This will actually be part of the next prod leisure as this is safe already - it will automatically

be used when the supermajority stakes a superblock with the rule).

- Made upgrader honor the TestNet downloadblocks URL location (Note this will only work After you are upgraded).  The command 'grcrestarter downloadblocks testnet' or 'grcrestarter testnet downloadblocks' should

work.  The in-client downloadblocks from TestNet should work after you are upgraded.

- Ensure NeuralNetwork directory exists (reported by Derp).
dc7d and sEpuLchEr like this

Rob the downloadblocks feature in the testnet client still triggers downloadblocks of production.
Ill set up a new CPID right now and load a new testnet wallet with 1 GRC. Sadly I run out of machines here ^^

Quez

cosmetic error on advance config. Another optional Modules appears if you hover your mouse on the blank spot in front of the optional modules. The optional modules is excellent. Maybe you could include some other advance options which could help non-nerds like debug3, autoban, investor, fullbore.

J4sSgC0.png

Tried to sync NN but I think none of the projects are whitelisted. At the same time, syncing is not like in prod where it's grabbing the gz file.

Just woke up.. not too long ago... (kinda timezone hop again... ) so might take a while for my engine to warm up to start clicking around.

The boinc stats page just gave me an idea. Maybe we could include kiwiirc - https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net:6667/#gridcoin (web based irc client) on another tab or something. It's just an idea.

I started a new cpid (I am resource scarce) on a vm with just wuprop and finance, and 100 coins.

EDIT: The cosmetic bug is not only in testnet, but in prod too.

Edited by sEpuLchEr

Gridcoin - Paving the Way Towards a Better Tomorrow

GRC: SJgRQKZp19AG49bPwmoJyWQCHpd6CfTzKg || BTC: 13pTr3qXWDvycRLBPgt3bJzJst4ju46CGS

cosmetic error on advance config. Another optional Modules appears if you hover your mouse on the blank spot in front of the optional modules. The optional modules is excellent. Maybe you could include some other advance options which could help non-nerds like debug3, autoban, investor, fullbore.

J4sSgC0.png

Tried to sync NN but I think none of the projects are whitelisted. At the same time, syncing is not like in prod where it's grabbing the gz file.

Just woke up.. not too long ago... (kinda timezone hop again... ) so might take a while for my engine to warm up to start clicking around.

The boinc stats page just gave me an idea. Maybe we could include kiwiirc - https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net:6667/#gridcoin (web based irc client) on another tab or something. It's just an idea.

I started a new cpid (I am resource scarce) on a vm with just wuprop and finance, and 100 coins.

EDIT: The cosmetic bug is not only in testnet, but in prod too.

Ooh - I like the ideas.  The chat is a great idea!

Yeah, none of these are whitelisted.  We changed the format slightly to be able to pull gz files, so the list is empty in testnet.  I hope it respects the NeuralNetwork subfolder and does not erase our prod NN (which would be harmless but a pain for us testers to have it regenerate).  

Im whitelisting them now, we will find out in 15 mins.

Ill get back on your other points after we see if this works.

Rob

Rob the downloadblocks feature in the testnet client still triggers downloadblocks of production.

Ill set up a new CPID right now and load a new testnet wallet with 1 GRC. Sadly I run out of machines here ^^

Quez

Ok your right; even though the updates have been made for the command line to do the 'grcrestarter downloadblocks testnet' etc, it looks like I forgot to tell the client to send the testnet flag value during the QT click from the menu - fixed - will be in the next release.

10-4 on the new cpid :).

Rob

Quez likes this

Ok, it looks like our whitelist went through.  My NN synced now, with 37 projects.

Rob

I'm trying to sync NN again. I got only 18 projects. LOL

GRC: SJgRQKZp19AG49bPwmoJyWQCHpd6CfTzKg || BTC: 13pTr3qXWDvycRLBPgt3bJzJst4ju46CGS

Ok, it looks like our whitelist went through.  My NN synced now, with 37 projects.

Rob

I'm trying to sync NN again. I got only 18 projects. LOL

Good I see it is respecting the testnet\NeuralNetwork subfolder.  Your right, I see 18 also, I was not looking at testnet node.

Ok, Im re-whitelisting them again and checking to see if it was the leading space.  This might take 30 mins to propagate.

sEpuLchEr likes this

How do i put any GRC into the testnet wallet? From the main wallet it is not possible i guess. If i need to get it from another testnet wallet: mzLpC2CET4m8PLCsico7a8a9zK2jh2wPbV

And should i encrypt the testnet wallet or is that not important? thanks!

How do i put any GRC into the testnet wallet? From the main wallet it is not possible i guess. If i need to get it from another testnet wallet: mzLpC2CET4m8PLCsico7a8a9zK2jh2wPbV

I'll send you some test net coins. Hang on.

Sent 100 grand man, I hope you feel rich.

No need to encrypt it - these coins are worthless, except for helping us make a better wallet.

LOL.. too late.. but Rob, you should have just sent 100. We're testing to see if they can stake with a low balance... lol

Virgin cpid. Took only 5.5hrs to send out a successful beacon

22:49:20

execute syncdpor2

22:49:20

[
{
"Command" : "syncdpor2"
},
{
"Syncing" : 1
}
]

23:38:12

execute resetcpids

23:38:12

[
{
"Command" : "resetcpids"
},
{
"Reset" : 1
}
]

23:38:16

list cpids

23:38:16

[
{
"Command" : "cpids"
},
{
"Project" : "gridcoin finance",
"CPID" : "b0f3f73ba95afbb8ae9b906b65c2b665",
"RAC" : 11.00000000,
"Team" : "gridcoin",
"CPID Link" : "http://boinc.netsoft-online.com/get_user.php?cpid=b0f3f73ba95afbb8ae9b906b65c2b665",
"Debug Info" : ""
},
{
"Project" : "wuprop@home",
"RAC" : 0.00000000,
"Team" : "gridcoin",
"CPID Link" : "http://boinc.netsoft-online.com/get_user.php?cpid=b0f3f73ba95afbb8ae9b906b65c2b665",
"Debug Info" : "Verified RAC too low"
},
{
"PoolMining" : false
}
]

23:38:29

execute advertisebeacon

23:38:30

[
{
"Command" : "advertisebeacon"
},
{
"Beacon" : "f8ae6b8fe7f1420be2157ac35caea35d1b91d059f368468c5ba21cbd7a4a776a"
}
]