NEWS BOT

ARS TECHNICA / “Nation’s first” smart gun symposium talks safety, risks, and delays

NEWS BOT

SEATTLE—On Wednesday, the Washington Technology Industry Association hosted the Seattle International Smart Gun Symposium, an event that King County Sheriff John Urquhart called the "first symposium I've heard of anywhere about this topic." The hours-long series of panels invited lawmakers, smart gun industry representatives, and gun safety advocates to speak on the subject of "user authorized" guns—meaning firearms that can only discharge in the hands of pre-authorized owners.

Notably, the panels lacked anyone who identified primarily as an advocate of gun rights, gun manufacturing, or an organization such as the National Rifle Association, but panelists repeatedly acknowledged, if not answered, concerns about how a rise in smart gun technology might impact Americans' Second Amendment rights. Still, such perspective was clearly overshadowed by the concerns raised most loudly by New Jersey State Senate Majority Leader Loretta Weinberg, herself the author of her state's Childproof Handgun Law.

"What gun owner wouldn’t want a gun that, if it got into hands of a child, would be rendered inoperable?" Weinberg asked the crowd after listing off stories and statistics about handgun deaths—particularly that of 10,000 American children and teens who go to an emergency room every year due to firearm incidents. "As a mother, a grandmother, a lawmaker, and a citizen who believes in policy [to increase public safety], childproofing handguns was common sense."

Read 10 remaining paragraphs | Comments

View the full article

Dasinnaf

Can anybody give me an advice on gun safe choice? I've found a few good ones on http://gunsafery.com/ and I don't really know if I should better choose the one that is more expensive or not. It looks like there is nearly no difference in security level so I am kind of bewildered.