theotherjay

HBN-Specific Staking Question

Tranz

I have 5 wallets online and staking and going to stakeforcharity, using the same gui. All are working very nicely!

I would keep your stake wallet online.

TrogdorJW73

Question for you that I'm trying to figure out (not necessarily specific to Hobonickels):

How does the Stake Difficulty factor in to the PoS rewards? Or does it?

I thought originally that PoS would pay out the set annual percentage, so if I have 10000 coins with a coin age of 36.5 days, and the PoS rate is 100%, I would get a 10% block reward (1000 coins). However, that does not appear to be the case, and at least this page states:

Currently successful stakes give 100% annual stake (or ~2% per 10 day stake) of the total amount of coins that are in the block staking. The stake reward can differ depending on the network difficulty, when the network difficulty is low staking can reach upwards of 100% annually, when network difficulty is high staking can be as low as 1% annually.

So wait a minute, all the coins talking about 5%, 10%, 15%, 100%, whatever may not actually pay anywhere near that level of returns? Talk about a dirty little secret most people probably haven't even heard about!

Back to the original question then: how do you determine the actual PoS reward when you get a PoS block? In HBN it appears the scaling is:

nRewardCoinYear = 1 / (posdiff ^ 1/4)

But looking at other coins, I see no indication of scaling anywhere in the main GetProofOfStakeReward function, but I can see by my staking amounts that it is happening somewhere! Any suggestions/pointers on where to look? I just want a nice function that will show me WTF is happening. Hahaha....

And just to be certain: a PoS block stakes as only one block -- so if I have ten blocks of 1000 coins each, but they're all 30 days staking age (or more), they can't all stake together, right? They have to go one at a time. Which means the block halving that occurs every time you stake will eventually make your blocks so small that they can't stake. Which means you probably want to keep the blocks at a minimum size of at least... I don't know, 10 coins, maybe 100 coins? It would be nice if the block splitting at the time of staking stopped if the amount of coins was below a certain threshold, e.g. if you have 1000 coins you get two 500 coin blocks, but if you have 100 coins you get one 100 coin block (plus staking rewards of course).

Tranz

Great questions. I will try to address some here. If anything was missed or needs clarification let me know.

For HBN and many other coins, the reward does scale exactly as you said. Some coins changed the scaling, some removed it all together. For HBN simply clicking on the staking icon will give you the current yearly PoS reward, or you can use rpc command getmininginfo . It decreases very slowly for HBN as we have 30 second block time. Other coins may decrease stake faster due to slower block times, or other code changes.

Some coins also add a max reward as well. So you can't hold 100,000 coins for 365 days and simply stake them as one block and receive 100,000.  You would only get 1,000 for example. So far HBN does not have this restriction, but may in the future.  This is helpful to protect the network.

You are also correct on splitting.  Eventually they do get so small they begin to overwhelm the deamon/gui.  Using coin control you can combine the very small blocks into a bigger block. I have to do this about twice a year or so. But each person has a different threshold.

The code is also set to auto combine blocks if they get to small. This still needs a bit of work for HBN, and other coins are also playing with this setting, to get the optimal  setting for both user and network.

The best place to look is the source code, GetProofofStakeReward is the best starting point. Also watching a block explorer for a while can help clarify things as well.

ghostlander

Which means the block halving that occurs every time you stake will eventually make your blocks so small that they can't stake. Which means you probably want to keep the blocks at a minimum size of at least... I don't know, 10 coins, maybe 100 coins? It would be nice if the block splitting at the time of staking stopped if the amount of coins was below a certain threshold, e.g. if you have 1000 coins you get two 500 coin blocks, but if you have 100 coins you get one 100 coin block (plus staking rewards of course).

You can disable splitting completely and set whatever high combine threshold you like. Patch the client and compile it for youself. I have done it when HBN in my donation jar got halved to amounts low ridiculously :)