theotherjay

HBN-Specific Staking Question

presstab

If I understand correctly, coinage is calculated by taking the # of the coins in a given block and multiplying it by the number of confirmations that the block has received?  If this is true does it mean that larger blocks of coin will age quicker?  And also does it mean that a larger block of coins will tend to have priority over smaller blocks trying to stake (because it matures faster)?

unick

If I understand correctly, coinage is calculated by taking the # of the coins in a given block and multiplying it by the number of confirmations that the block has received?  If this is true does it mean that larger blocks of coin will age quicker?  And also does it mean that a larger block of coins will tend to have priority over smaller blocks trying to stake (because it matures faster)?

I don't know the exact formula on how coin age is calculated, but basically that's the idea.  You multiply the quantity of coin in the block by the time they sitted there (you're probably right about assuming it's the number of confirmations).  But I don't think it's right to say that larger block age "faster" but rather, they weight more when competing against other blocks for PoS rewards.

If Tranz could confirm the actual formula for coin-age (when you have time) it would be a good addition to the wiki.

Tranz

Yes Coin-Days = Coin-age * block size.

So 100 coin block at 10 days is 1000 coin days.

presstab

So I had one block just stake. 455 HBN with 13.26 days = 6033 coin days.  And another block that hasn't staked yet 2250 HBN with 10.53 days = 23,696 coin days.  So I am wondering if there is any other element?  Is there a level of randomness to the stakes just like there is with PoW?  Maybe like the coin days would be comparable to the PoW hash rate, but still a lower "hash rate" can still get the block because of the randomness of the choice?

Tranz

Yes randomness does play a factor. I get coins that are days younger staking before blocks of the same amount that are older.  I would still bet on the 2250 block staking before the 455

presstab

What exactly is stake weight?  I have been trying to figure this out by googling it, but there isn't a whole lot of detail on the subject.  Is stake weight the same thing as coin days?  So stake weight would equal coins in the block multiplied by the number of days it has aged?

Tranz

That is about it. except weight stats at zero at min weight. Or 28.880 confirmations.

virtualreality69

Tranz,

I've been looking for this POS info specifically on HBN for a while.  

Can you please confirm that if I'm running 1.3 or newer that I only have to open/run my HoboNickels-qt.exe for POS to start/check/verify the minting process on all my wallets?  If so, best wallet/coin ever (and I'm fully invested)!!  I'm currently running a windows wallet v1.3.1.0.

Cheers and much love, 

- VR

You have a lot right and a few things slightly amiss.

In the current version you have you can't move specific coins from one address to another, within the same wallet.dat. You can create a new wallet.dat called wallet-stake.dat for example. And move coins from wallet.dat address to the address of wallet-stake.dat

You are correct that if you don't move your coins from your savings address it will stake. However the software that you have doesn't give you the option to move coins from one specific address or another. This is solved in version 1.3 with Advanced Coin Control. This should be released in a few days.

Mining coins in bigger blocks is more efficient. However if you are unlucky your coins could be orphaned, and they will have to try to stake again. Also it is healthier for the network that the coins be smaller in size. So the line is fine. It depends on the amount of coins you have as well as what you time you have to stake.

I think 100 coin blocks sent to a separate wallet is a good choice.

presstab

Tranz,

I've been looking for this POS info specifically on HBN for a while.  

Can you please confirm that if I'm running 1.3 or newer that I only have to open/run my HoboNickels-qt.exe for POS to start/check/verify the minting process on all my wallets?  If so, best wallet/coin ever (and I'm fully invested)!!  I'm currently running a windows wallet v1.3.1.0.

Cheers and much love, 

- VR

Open client/wallet, receive coins, hold coins for appropriate age, have client open when staking age has been reached so it will begin to compete for stake.

http://wiki.hobonickels.info/index.php?title=Proof_of_Stake

Relnarien

Does coin age reset once I start minting or only after I successfully mint a confirmed block?

Tranz

Yes the block must be confirmed, before you will lose you coin days.

virtualreality69

Does this mean you need to have an encrypted wallet open and passphrase stored for atleast 10 days (as opposed to just having an encrypted wallet with hobonickels stored in the wallet for over 10 days)? 

In my case I have had HBN stored in a wallet since 3/7/2014. The wallet has been encrypted since before that date, and nothing has entered or left the wallet since 3/7/2014.  If its been encrypted since then, does that mean I have to enter the following on the debug console and then wait 10 MORE days? "walletpassphrase <yourpass>.   My 2 other unencrypted HBN wallets have already shown successful stakes over a week ago. 

I hope I didn't just miss out on a full stake period.  

- VR

From the wiki: 

"mybadpassword" would be the password for the wallet (the same password that your encrypted with) and 999999 represents the number of seconds the wallet will remain unlock - this needs to be at least 10 days (864,000), but longer is suggested because staking often times doesn't happen right at the 10 day mark.

Open client/wallet, receive coins, hold coins for appropriate age, have client open when staking age has been reached so it will begin to compete for stake.

http://wiki.hobonickels.info/index.php?title=Proof_of_Stake

Tranz

No as soon as you unlock it, the staking process will start. If your coins are aged they will have a good chance of staking quickly.

pepto

Hi,

Four days in wallet and no change in this transaction.

Unconfirmed (0 of 6 confirmations)

Generated but not accepted.

PoS mined.

Would someone kindly explain what this likely means and what I can do to accept it (it's 50HBN!)? 

(I did receive a slightly higher(51.7) PoS transaction 6 hours later in case that might  be related)

Thanks