link125

Forums need a massive cleanup!

Quez

Typos I found, see directly in the quotation. I am not a native speaker, so please, find yourselves more. Those below are MINE, my precious :P

gclatin.png

Gridcoin is the first cryptocurrency that rewards meaningful computations instead of the wasteful pseudo-problems that are [too much that for my taste] solved in Proof of Work. [One space too much] There are two ways to earn Gridcoin: The first is by Proof of Stake. PoS is used to secure the network and you get a reward for the time you use your computer to secure the network. This bonus is proportional to the amount of Gridcoins you currently hold and can thus be seen as an interest rate. Proof of Stake wastes very little electricity compared to the classic Bitcoin Proof of Work system. It also has very fast transaction times and the network is absolutely decentraliced. However, it also leads to income inequality, as the only way to earn coins with Proof of Stake is already having coins.

Because of this there is a second way of earning [One space too much and capital G->] Gridcoins, Proof of Research. In PoR you earn Gridcoins for solving scientific or commercial problems via BOINC. BOINC (http://boinc.berkeley.edu/) is an open source grid computing system that allows you to run scientific computations. Gridcoin measures how much computing power you contribute to the whitelisted science projects and you get Gridcoins proportional to the amount of computing power you give to science. How much and which research is done by Gridcoin can be seen here: http://boincstats.com/en/stats/-1/team/detail/118094994/overview. Some of of these BOINC projects are only supported by CPU and some only by GPU, so everybody can contribute to science and earn Gridcoins for that. You can link your BOINC account to your Gridcoin wallet by your BOINC email address, that is private in BOINC and can't be read by anyone.

The following projects are examples for whitelisted projects, from which you can earn Gridcoins by supporting them:

[email protected]

The project intends to study how protein structure determines protein function, predict a protein's structure from its amino acid sequence, investigate how proteins interact with each other [no comma before and, right?] and understand how malfunctioning proteins can cause functional [functional what?]. The resulting knowledge can then be used in the development of medical treatments.

a6170246-rosetta_home_screen_saver-spl.j

Mapping Cancer [email protected]  

Cancer is caused by genetic or environmental changes that interfere with biological mechanisms that control cell growth. These changes, as well as normal cell activities, can be detected in tissue samples through the presence of their unique chemical indicators, such as DNA and proteins, which together are known as "markers".[not ."] Mapping Cancer Markers [Here was a .] on World Community Grid aims to identify the markers associated with various types of cancer. The project is analyzing millions of data points collected from thousands of healthy and cancerous patient tissue samples. These include tissues with lung, ovarian, prostate, pancreatic and breast cancers. By comparing these different data points, researchers aim to identify patterns of markers for different cancers and correlate them with different outcomes, including responsiveness to various treatment options(http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/research/mcm1/overview.do)

[email protected]

[email protected] is a non-profit research project that uses a combination of high performance computing and volunteer distributed computing for the advancement of cognitive [cognitive what?]. The research focuses on utilizing computational cognitive process modeling to [better understand instead of understand better?] understand the human mind better. The project aims to improve on the scientific foundations that explain the mechanisms and processes that enable and moderate human performance and learning. [email protected] is hosted by [too much space] Wright State University and the University of Dayton in Dayton, Ohio.

Technology projects/commercial projects/distributed autonomous companies

Gridcoin also makes it possible to run projects that advance humanity in a non-scientific way. These projects have to offer a service for free or significantly cheaper than other comparable commercial services, because they get a lot of computing power for free from Gridcoin. Examples for those kind of projects might be a Gridcoin finance system that uses the raw computing power of Gridcoin to predict stock developments (https://cryptocointalk.com/topic/11357-gridcoin-finance-project/), a machine learning system that utilizes Gridcoin's computing power to find patterns and make predictions in all kinds of data or data streams, a decentraliced search engine that works like yacy.net and many others. Just imagine what kind of Artificial Intelligence application might be possible if the computing power now directed towards Bitcoin was used for and AI system. Giving computing power to commercial projects might also be a way for Gridcoin to get income for its researchers or its development, which makes it an attractive investment, but a majority of the computing power will always be given to science.

Further planned developments for Gridcoin include an in-coin-voting system, that allows the holders of Gridcoin to vote on important matters and to decide, which BOINC projects to support with how much computing power.

Further information about the technical details can be found on the wiki: http://wiki.gridcoin.us/Main_Page

or in out main forum: https://cryptocointalk.com/forum/464-gridcoin-grc/

TLDR: Gridcoin wants as much computing power as possible to be used for useful computations that benefit humanity, either in the form of scientific simulations or [too much space] applications.

Note: There is an old and a new version of Gridcoin, the old one was still based on PoW and a bonus for BOINC contribution. So the mining race still happened, [too much space] which we didn't want. The new version is PoS + research bonus. Old coins can be converted to new coins by burning and the new coins can now also be traded on the exchanged. The UI also improved and now looks like this:

gridcoinwallet.png

Plus I would add a link to CCEX and other exchanges, if possible. Something like here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=945448.0

Quez

spassbold

Typos I found, see directly in the quotation. I am not a native speaker, so please, find yourselves more. Those below are MINE, my precious :P

Plus I would add a link to CCEX and other exchanges, if possible. Something like here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=945448.0

Quez

Thanks for the hints, I changed it in the original post :)

I'm not a native speaker either so a native speaker should also have a look at it!

Quez

Gern doch! Dachte ich mir :)

(engl: You are welcome, I thought so)

Yeah, english-natives step forward! :)

Thanks for the hints, I changed it in the original post :)

I'm not a native speaker either so a native speaker should also have a look at it!

Edited by Quez (see edit history)

RTMoney
Gridcoin-Research

gclatin.png

Why mine when you can research?

Advancing science, mathematics, technology, and understanding the world around us.

A secure blockchain developed on the philosophy of benefiting humanity.

Proof of Work has been criticized for wasting energy in the mining process and as specialized hardware continues to be added, the processing of transactions has become more centralized.  Gridcoin gives computers something productive to do, instead of racing to solve meaningless equations Gridcoin miners Researchers work on problems such as finding cures to diseases, mapping genomes, or climate studies and are compensated for the work they do.   

Gridcoin is not limited by any one program, algorithm or type of hardware.  It is built on an open computing platform that supports all kinds of hardware and can adapt as technology changes.  The Berkeley Open Infrastructure for Network Computing, or BOINC for short, supports Windows, Mac OS X, Linux and Android.  You don't need special hardware to participate and earn rewards for your contributions to research, the computer you use for a few hours every day can contribute to science when you aren't using it on projects that require CPUs to compute results and you aren't competing with GPUs or ASICs for rewards.  Those with special GPU mining rigs can also participate in projects designed specifically for parallel computations and you don't have to worry about losing your ROI to the next generation of ASICs.  There are currently over 30 different projects, each project has it's own hardware needs, some need CPU's, some need GPU's, and some need sensors.  The diversity of hardware supported will make it possible for anyone with a computer to contribute to the network making it more secure and avoid the centralization of mining power.  

Gridcoin rewards you for doing real work, it's reward system is designed to pay you in the same way as a pay per share pool so you are rewarded fairly based on the work you do not by how fast you can solve a block. The devices you can use to contribute to scientific research include CPU, GPU, Android, R-Pi, and ASICs with more being added all the time. The goal of the project is to design a system that diverts compute power from wasteful hashing to productive computing, creating a Supercomputer cluster that supports all kinds of scientific investigation and technology development.

Access to Supercomputers have traditionally been restricted to large research universities and corporations. By creating a large network of computers complex computations previously out of reach for most researchers in the past are now possible. Creating a network of computers to run complex computations isn't a new idea, in fact Berkeley Open Infrastructure for Network Computing or BOINC has been around since 2002 and has many volunteer contributors allowing researchers to tap the enormous processing power of personal computers. However, the network is limited by those willing to volunteer, until now.

Cryptocurrency has created a fast, efficient and most importantly inexpensive way to account and move value from point A to point B. A few coins have recently attempted to create a compensation mechanism to increase participation. Notably Ripple, Curecoin, and Research Support Coin have used a centralized approach to distribute rewards to participants. The weakness in this approach is in fact the centralized distribution. This approach is reliant on what the makers deem worthy and participants must trust that the makers will continue their support.  One of the many things that makes Gridcoin unique is it's decentralized approach to compensating individuals for participation.

We ask for the community to join us as volunteers, developers, investors and evangelists seeking to enable a fundamentally different paradigm for the blockchain and the benefits to humanity it can produce. 

Real world results

World Community Grid

World Community Grid distributes millions of small data-based computer-based experiments to thousands of volunteers' devices. It gathers the results and sends them back to researchers, who interrogate the data for patterns, getting them closer to those world-changing results - faster. Since it began, volunteers have helped scientists to complete thousands of years' work in a few short years. World Community Grid has enabled scientific breakthroughs in cancer treatment and solar energy research. Our research partners have published over 35 articles in peer-reviewed scientific journal based on research conducted on World Community Grid, advancing knowledge in health, poverty and sustainability. 

Determining the 3-dimensional shapes of proteins in research that may ultimately lead to finding cures for some major human diseases. By running the Rosetta program on your computer while you don't need it you will help us speed up and extend our research in ways we couldn't possibly attempt without your help. You will also be helping our efforts at designing new proteins to fight diseases such as HIV, Malaria, Cancer, and Alzheimer's.  View disease related work: http://boinc.bakerlab.org/rosetta/rah_medical_relevance.php

The project intends to study how protein structure determines protein function, predict a protein's structure from its amino acid sequence, investigate how proteins interact with each other and understand how malfunctioning proteins can cause sickness. The resulting knowledge can then be used in the development of medical treatments.

30+ more projects covering areas of Science, Technology, Mathematics, Materials, Space Exploration and much, much more!

Parameters

Algorithm: Proof-of-Research, Reward based on Research contribution to BOINC secured via Proof-of-Stake

Block time: 90 Seconds

0% pre-mine: Longest distribution schedule for any Proof-of-Stake based coin with an 18 month initial distribution based on Gridcoin Classic

Inflation:  Inflation target of approximately 3% per year after November 2015 

For more info see Gridcoin Research Reward Calculation http://wiki.gridcoin.us/Proof-of-Research#Proof-of-Research_Reward_Schedule

New official website coming soon

7zBFiw4.png

Downloads/Source

Tutorials:

***Note: If you are setting the wallet up to mine research setup BOINC first***

BOINC Resources:

BOINC Account Manager (BAM) setup guide: http://boincstats.com/en/bam/

Network RAC Report & Active Whitelist: http://gridresearchcorp.com/gridcoin/?whitelist

Project hardware & software compatibility: http://wiki.gridcoin.us/Current_BOINC_Whitelist

Exchanges:

Block Explorers:

Other Resources/Further Information:

Gridcoin-Classic Burn: http://pool.gridcoin.us/Login.aspx

Forums/social media:

Charts/Analytics

GRC Magnitude: http://grcmagnitude.com

Edited by RTMoney (see edit history)
  • Like 3

trader1

Hey RT, what is your GRC research addy? let me send you some donations for all your work! :)

s4mmy

Hi guys!

I've been a GRC supporter for over a year and maybe some of you still remember me. Just wanted to give my opinion about BTCTalk because the first post is still saying that GRC is scrypt etc etc...

Maybe someone should change the first post to look like what RTM just posted in cryptocointalk ANN thread? In addition there could still be some things regarding old classic and how to swap from classic to research etc.

I just think that there are far too many people in BTCTalk that won't give grc a chance because there's outdated information and they need to make their own research about how everything works... and many won't do that.

• Like 3

spassbold

100% agree!

• Like 1

manybags

I've created a new subreddit at reddit.com/r/gridcoinresearch.  I think it will be easier to have discussions there - plus I just like the formatting of reddit forums vs cryptocointalk.

RTMoney

I've created a new subreddit at reddit.com/r/gridcoinresearch. I think it will be easier to have discussions there - plus I just like the formatting of reddit forums vs cryptocointalk.

We already have a subreddit /r/gridcoin

manybags

The content on /r/gridcoin is very different from the content here on cryptocointalk ie /r/gridcoin seems more promotional and cryptocointalk seems more dev-related.  There also don't appear to be active discussions on /r/gridcoin.

RTMoney

The content on /r/gridcoin is very different from the content here on cryptocointalk ie /r/gridcoin seems more promotional and cryptocointalk seems more dev-related. There also don't appear to be active discussions on /r/gridcoin.

That is how the community has naturally formed. I would discourage splitting our resources on a social network in two. There is already little support of the current reddit and it creates yet one more place someone might ask a question that goes unanswered for a long time. You can contribute whatever you want to the /r/gridcoin reddit. You seem to have good karma on reddit, I added you as a contingent mod, I will bump you to full mod if things go well.
  • Like 1

GRCnation

That is how the community has naturally formed. I would discourage splitting our resources on a social network in two. There is already little support of the current reddit and it creates yet one more place someone might ask a question that goes unanswered for a long time. You can contribute whatever you want to the /r/gridcoin reddit. You seem to have good karma on reddit, I added you as a contingent mod, I will bump you to full mod if things go well.

I agree, good idea to have a board dedicated to development, but the main /r/gridcoin is already thin.

In addition, Rob has paid for this premium board here and ultimately it is his decision where to work at.

Would be nice to see your help in /r/gridcoin :)

manybags

It is definitely a good idea to centralize conversations. I just wanted to foster discussion and I like the reddit threaded format and search functions. I've moved to /r/gridcoin.

• Like 1

BOUNTYSHARES

Forums are great but are over crowded and some cleanup is needed... I prefer cryptocointalk over bitcointalk personally but there are 2 new forums that have room and look pretty good... cryptocointalk dot org and cryptochaintalk dot com... Check em out!!

• Like 2

C.M

Any chance of changing gridcoin's description in the forum? "Scrypt based cryptocoin with re-target every 30 minutes, 5-150 coins per block, and 168-300 million total coins."