link125

Forums need a massive cleanup!

C.M

Seconded, the announcement thread should be deleted and replaced with an announcement thread that only mods&devs can post in, and a supporting announcement discussion thread.

The announcement thread is over 500 pages, that's just silly..

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

Jimmy

Seconded, the announcement thread should be deleted and replaced with an announcement thread that only mods&devs can post in, and a supporting announcement discussion thread.

The announcement thread is over 500 pages, that's just silly..

It should be locked and archived... not deleted.  There is valuable information in that thread that people might want to read.  Deleting removes the archived discussion, which should be available to people who want to see what's been written.

Yea, I agree 500 pages becomes a non-functional thread.

link125

Completely agree with CM and Jimmy. That thread is kinda ridiculous, especially for new comers

Jimmy

Completely agree with CM and Jimmy. That thread is kinda ridiculous, especially for new comers

Everyone is welcome to start new threads in the forum or the sub-forum.  Most people who visit just reply where the conversation is located.  Create some new threads with new conversations (and maintain those conversations) and that's where people will reply.

RTMoney

The plan is to lock the thread and setup a moderator only ANN thread once we have a stable version. This will force everyone into the proper sub forums for discussion, development, bug reporting etc. but for now it is the go to thread and we don't want to cause chaos since everyone is watching that one so closely while we work through getting stable.

• Like 1

C.M

The plan is to lock the thread and setup a moderator only ANN thread once we have a stable version. This will force everyone into the proper sub forums for discussion, development, bug reporting etc. but for now it is the go to thread and we don't want to cause chaos since everyone is watching that one so closely while we work through getting stable.

When do you think it's time to lock the current 710+ page announcement thread, and create a new announcement thread that only admins/mods can post about releases in and have a seperate announcement discussion thread?

We're starting to have more dedicated threads for discussions & we're currently launching POR on exchanges now no?

• Like 1

link125

When do you think it's time to lock the current 710+ page announcement thread, and create a new announcement thread that only admins/mods can post about releases in and have a seperate announcement discussion thread?

We're starting to have more dedicated threads for discussions & we're currently launching POR on exchanges now no?

I've been waiting for this for awhile. For crying out loud, we just launched on a freaking exchange, and if a newcomer came to these forums they would have absolutely no idea. 

Not having a go at RTMoney, just wanting to emphasize that we really need to change this now.

Edited by link125 (see edit history)

RTMoney

Could someone do me a favor and draft an ann page? I haven't had time to do it myself and won't today, it's easier to edit than it is to create so as long as it's mostly correct rob and/or I can make changes and get it posted.

spassbold

Could someone do me a favor and draft an ann page? I haven't had time to do it myself and won't today, it's easier to edit than it is to create so as long as it's mostly correct rob and/or I can make changes and get it posted.

ok, I'll draft a page, give me an hour or something :)

• Like 1

spassbold

gclatin.png

Gridcoin is the first cryptocurrency that rewards meaningful computations instead of the wasteful pseudo-problems solved in Proof of Work. There are two ways to earn Gridcoin: The first is by Proof of Stake. PoS is used to secure the network and you get a reward for the time you use your computer to secure the network. This bonus is proportional to the amount of Gridcoins you currently hold and can thus be seen as an interest rate. Proof of Stake wastes very little electricity compared to the classic Bitcoin Proof of Work system. It also has very fast transaction times and the network is absolutely decentraliced. However, it also leads to income inequality, as the only way to earn coins with Proof of Stake is already having coins.

Because of this there is a second way of earning Gridcoins, Proof of Research. In PoR you earn Gridcoins for solving scientific or commercial problems via BOINC. BOINC (http://boinc.berkeley.edu/) is an open source grid computing system that allows you to run scientific computations. Gridcoin measures how much computing power you contribute to the whitelisted science projects and you get gridcoins proportional to the amount of computing power you give to science. How much and which research is done by Gridcoin can be seen here: http://boincstats.com/en/stats/-1/team/detail/118094994/overview. Some of of these BOINC projects are only supported by CPU and some only by GPU, so everybody can contribute to science and earn gridcoins for that. You can link your BOINC account to your Gridcoin wallet by your BOINC email address, that is private in BOINC and can't be read by anyone.

The following projects are examples for whitelisted projects, from which you can earn Gridcoins by supporting them:

[email protected]

The project intends to study how protein structure determines protein function, predict a protein's structure from its amino acid sequence, investigate how proteins interact with each other and understand how malfunctioning proteins can cause sickness. The resulting knowledge can then be used in the development of medical treatments.

a6170246-rosetta_home_screen_saver-spl.j

Mapping Cancer [email protected]  

Cancer is caused by genetic or environmental changes that interfere with biological mechanisms that control cell growth. These changes, as well as normal cell activities, can be detected in tissue samples through the presence of their unique chemical indicators, such as DNA and proteins, which together are known as "markers". Mapping Cancer Markers on World Community Grid aims to identify the markers associated with various types of cancer. The project is analyzing millions of data points collected from thousands of healthy and cancerous patient tissue samples. These include tissues with lung, ovarian, prostate, pancreatic and breast cancers. By comparing these different data points, researchers aim to identify patterns of markers for different cancers and correlate them with different outcomes, including responsiveness to various treatment options(http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/research/mcm1/overview.do)

[email protected]

[email protected] is a non-profit research project that uses a combination of high performance computing and volunteer distributed computing for the advancement of cognitive understanding. The research focuses on utilizing computational cognitive process modeling to better understand the human mind. The project aims to improve on the scientific foundations that explain the mechanisms and processes that enable and moderate human performance and learning. [email protected] is hosted by  Wright State University and the University of Dayton in Dayton, Ohio.

Technology projects/commercial projects/distributed autonomous companies

Gridcoin also makes it possible to run projects that advance humanity in a non-scientific way. These projects have to offer a service for free or significantly cheaper than other comparable commercial services, because they get a lot of computing power for free from Gridcoin. Examples for those kind of projects might be a Gridcoin finance system that uses the raw computing power of Gridcoin to predict stock developments (https://cryptocointalk.com/topic/11357-gridcoin-finance-project/), a machine learning system that utilizes Gridcoin's computing power to find patterns and make predictions in all kinds of data or data streams, a decentralized search engine that works like yacy.net and many others. Just imagine what kind of Artificial Intelligence application might be possible if the computing power now directed towards Bitcoin was used for and AI system. Giving computing power to commercial projects might also be a way for Gridcoin to get income for its researchers or its development, which makes it an attractive investment, but a majority of the computing power will always be given to science.

Further planned developments for Gridcoin include an incoin-voting system, that allows the holders of Gridcoin to vote on important matters and to decide, which BOINC projects to support with how much computing power.

Further information about the technical details can be found on the wiki: http://wiki.gridcoin.us/Main_Page

or in out main forum: https://cryptocointalk.com/forum/464-gridcoin-grc/

The official webpage is: www.gridcoin.us

Exchanged on which the GRC can be traded are: www.c-cex.com , www.poloniex.com and soon www.bitrex.com

TLDR: Gridcoin wants as much computing power as possible to be used for useful computations that benefit humanity, either in the form of scientific simulations or applications.

Note: There is an old and a new version of Gridcoin, the old one was still based on PoW and a bonus for BOINC contribution. So the mining race still happened,  which we din't want. The new version is PoS + research bonus. Old coins can be converted to new coins by burning and the new coins can now also be traded on the exchanged. The UI also improved and now looks like this:

gridcoinwallet.png

Edited by spassbold (see edit history)

trader1

[email protected] is a dead projects, i am pretty sure it was closed down.

spassbold

ok I'll use [email protected], it has pretty much the same explanation and does the same thing