RTMoney

Gridcoin Research Promotion Thread

If you have ever wanted to just jump in and help here is your chance!

We need to start capturing and focusing promotional efforts for Gridcoin Research and gather a list of things that can be done before, during and after the launch.

Rob has started the process with this document: http://www.gridcoin.us/guides/gridcoinpor.pdf

There are three places that will need information populated so that it is easy for new people interested in the coin to understand and get started with Gridcoin Research.  The wiki, bitcointalk, and the website.  Anyone can contribute to the wiki (http://wiki.gridcoin.us/Main_Page) and it is super easy to do.   The Ann page of bitcointalk will need to be edited/updated.  I had someone in the IRC channel just today asking about some content that is already unrelated and will be even more so after the launch.  Alien mentioned a promotional page for announcing Gridcoin research on BCT as well.  I'm not sure if it is just Rob with the "Gridcoin" account on BCT or not but getting the wiki up to date will help organize the BCT posts and if we have something that is just copy/paste for him it will save him some work/time.  The website will need a lot of information updating as well, if anyone can help with that please speak up.  It might be helpful to clean up some of the "pinned" topics here on cryptocointalk as well.  It's getting difficult for new comers to know where to get started.  

I am currently the only moderator of the reddit, its really slow right now but when we start getting more visitors I'm not sure how busy that resource will become.  In case I get hit by a bus we should have at least one more moderator if anyone is willing to step up.  That really applies to all the Gridcoin social assets, there should be a succession plan of some kind in the event something happens so the community doesn't lose control of the asset.

The burning process will likely not involve burning every Gridcoin Classic coin.  There have been some lost and there will probably be others that just never get converted.  This leaves some Gridcoin Research coins from the genesis left over.  There are a number of options to deal with these coins including but not limited to, being destroyed, used for promotion, used for further development or help offset some of the development cost that has already been borne on Rob's shoulders, used for an endowment, used for market price support, or any combination.  This is worth discussing.

We will be running a promotional blitz during conversion, there are a lot of grass-roots things we can do that cost nothing or next to nothing.  There are some other things that do have a cost and currently we have to raise funds through donations.  Unfortunately, knowing the number of coins and having the ability to spend them won’t be available until after the conversion unless we can come up with a way to get an advance on those funds.  There are a number of ways this could be accomplished but one is earmarking a percentage of the unclaimed coins for a pre-release donation drive to raise funds for promotional activities/development that could be used during the conversion.  The number of unclaimed coins and the value of each coin is unknowable but something as simple as 1-5% of the unclaimed coins will be divided pro-rata based on total BTC donations.  It would sweeten the deal for people who donate potentially giving them a reason to donate more, and since it is technically a donation no one is on the hook if the number of coins is small or the value is next to nothing.  The coin can also maintain it's 0% pre-mine while using the proceeds to benefit the entire community. 

I think we should be very careful how we spend the unclaimed coins, as claims of "premine" - even though it is none - can easily tarnish our image.

Bu I personally like the idea of turning it into kind of a lottery, e.g. 1% of all unclaimed coins will be given proportionally to the people that donated BTC, so it's kind of like betting on how many coins will be unclaimed and how many people will donate.

The singularity will happen within a currency.

It looks like I need to get a media packet started.  I am very excited that everyone wants to help spread the word, but there are some important considerations when contacting the media and I will try to get some things together to help everyone have more success.    

First consideration is that, "media" needs to be divided 3 ways:

1. General Media
  2. Tech Media
  3. Crypto Media

General Media is inclusive of local and national publications the general non-tech, non-crypto crowd reads.  This media is typically written at an 8th grade reading level in the US.  When contacting these outlets the story must be simple,  without jargon, and short.  These publications are primarily interested in the "big picuture" and stories that create emotion in the reader are more popular than stories that are informative.  When contacting these media outlets one should assume knowledge of Bitcoin is limited to knowing it exists and proceed with very simple constructs and ideas.  This includes your local press and anything you send to them shouldn't include the words "Proof of *", "Nodes", "Hash", "alt-coin", or any other jargon we throw around every day here.  

Tech Media publications cater to niche crowds, it is important to understand the crowd the publication is targeting.  For example a publication that focuses on gadgets and what they do would be more interested in the fact that you can contribute to science with your Android device or Raspberry Pi than if Gridcoin was PoW or PoS or even what that means.  

Crypto Media is primarily blogs at this point.  This could also include anything in forums or on twitter for that matter.  There are a few publications like Coindesk that have staff and contributors with some editorial oversight but for the most part anything goes.  This is where you can crypto-geek out with all the technical jargon and opinion about PoS vs PoW and talk about how PoR improves on PoS etc.  

The approach each media outlet is very different and you really do need to know your audience.  Remember that they want interesting content that their readers will actually read, if we want them to publish something for us the content must be interesting to their readership.  Also remember, in an effort to appear "balanced" general media specifically will find dissenting opinions and publish them or take comments and make the appear as "the other side of the story".

Lets move this discussion over here.

Indeed some very useful points you have raised. I would add science media to your list, since their primary interest is the effect of our resource towards their projects and how we mutually benefit from one another. The jargon would be equally limited as in tech publications.

What all three should have in common is the mission statement. Vocabulary and length can be adjusted according to the audience, while the content remains the same.

The Charlatan

Lets move this discussion over here.

Indeed some very useful points you have raised. I would add science media to your list, since their primary interest is the effect of our resource towards their projects and how we mutually benefit from one another. The jargon would be equally limited as in tech publications.

What all three should have in common is the mission statement. Vocabulary and length can be adjusted according to the audience, while the content remains the same.

I thought I hid this topic :-P  Sure, this is as good of a place as any.  You are correct, the approach to science publications would in fact be similar to individual Tech publications.  Working on a "general" and "general +" skeleton today, hope to have it up tonight. 

It took about 20 minutes for the exact launch time announcement to reach the Wiki, Twitter and Reddit,  now just lacking Facebook.

fixed ;)

Well, it still is up to date at the moment, so technically, the information is not wrong. Plus at the first phase between the 10th and 20th , there will still be some scrypt mining to be done. Afterwards the Gridcoin-Basic network will still presist, and we need ASICs on there untill address burn has completed, or face a 51% attack. Later there will be options to mine Gridcoin with a scrypt ASIC, either through multipool, or a BOINC project.

The Charlatan

do we already have new texts about proof of research to replace the old ones on gridcoin.us or should we create them?

Because the page should also be updated as soon as we have the new version....

I think we should be a bit more active on reddit, for example there's the subreddit http://www.reddit.com/r/CryptoCurrency/ but there is not yet a thread about gridcoin.

I recently made a comment about gridcoin in another thread http://www.reddit.com/r/CryptoCurrency/comments/2iw5es/interview_with_the_foldingcoin_team/ about gridcoin, so I don't want to be seen as the one only promoting gridcoin, so if anybody else wants to start a thread about gridcoin and/or upvote the comment about gridcoin?

Hey guys,

we spent the last weeks working on promotional material we want to share with the community. We are especially curious for your opinion on our page http://uscore.net which is intended for medium entry level. Going forward we plan to create some social buzz as official team "Gridcoin Germany" in order to keep people informed about attributes we consider worth knowing about Gridcoin. 

Furthermore, as one could guess from frequency of updates all year long, this community has a huge pile of knowledge to convey. We want to help in keeping the progress understandable. Hence, We need some volunteers (native english speakers) for proofreading the page. We would really welcome your valuable time in community help in order to proofread uscore.net and PM us any mistakes or suggestions!

Also, we would appreciate it if the owner of the official twitter account would provide us with a read-only API key that we need for integrating the tweet-stream into uscore.net.

We have a background in online marketing and web design. In future, we would also like to share our strategies and further ideas for inspirational purposes. For example, buying fake tweets is not a method that should be considered - the field of cryptocurrencies has LOTS of potential in order to boost the growth of Gridcoin. Our online-environment is not nearly as competitive as other "online niches" and Gridcoin actually delivers big value.

I have tried to contact you guys since last week already, but to no end yet. I will happily contribute what I can. Surely one of the most important next steps will be to translate all the knowledge that Gridcoin conveys to as many languages as we can.

The Charlatan

I have tried to contact you guys since last week already, but to no end yet. I will happily contribute what I can. Surely one of the most important next steps will be to translate all the knowledge that Gridcoin conveys to as many languages as we can.

Hi S,

I am sorry there was no response from us (GRCnation) last week.

We are working on education material, web publishing, social media and talk preparation.

Yet, we don't have a plan on how to communicate efficiently, so we simply throw things around.

I saw you already contribute on our mediawiki, thank you!

Maybe we could start to collaborate from there and improve press collections (text & links) for multiple languages.