Rob Halförd - (Gridcoin)

Gridcoin GRC Information - Classic in Retirement

andrewp

quick question.  would there be any particular reason why some microtransactions would be automatically sent from my gridcoin wallet?

there were 5 addresses where  .08 were sent.  Are these tied to the projects listed in the Projects Console menu and "query credits"?

Hi,

the transactions are called 'beacons' and they confirm to the network the amount of work you are doing for BOINC and that you are eligible to receive any GRC payments. 

Yes they are tied to the projects in projcet console. Each project there has a different address where the beacons are sent and they need to be sent separately to every project there you are running in BOINC.

Hope this helps,

Andrew.

MikeK

Thanks Andrew-  How about bionic projects that aren't listed in that projects console?

andrewp

Thanks Andrew-  How about bionic projects that aren't listed in that projects console?

Not a problem.

For BOINC(CPU) mining, you need to run at least one of the projects listed in projects console....you can run any other projects however they will not earn you GRC from BOINC mining at the moment.

For GPU mining, you can run any project available at BOINC.

Andrew.

Tugvarish

It can be traded, sent and spent just like any other cryptocurrency. It's already on an exchange called www.c-cex.com. Albeit it's a new exchange, it's actually quite responsive and reliable from what I've experienced.

What we need for more exchanges to get GRC into cosideration is to have a the gridcoind CLI for Linux, reason is most of those website run on linux and they are not going to change or run the full fledged wallet expecially if it need to be in a VM because it is only windows... otherwise we are out of the market.

Tugvarish

No, CPU is the best short for 51%, as stated in by blog --

Then add that with --

I dont think the Scrypt ASICs are real. Most of these are fraud I think, looking at their planned prices and 'pre orders'.

Well never heard about botnet those can cripple a small coin network of only CPUs and easily do a 51% attack on it.

Also Scrypt Asics are real at least 3 company are going to ship this year 2014 large multi-MHs units and some are already shipping like the one using griseed GC3355 CHIPs, that is why we should go to a more complex CPU/GPU only crypto that it is either more memory intensive than scrypt, Quark, Dark, or some other intelligent deterrent.

andrewp

Hi Tugvarish,

There's a Linux client available for download at the Gridcoin homepage. C-Cex.com is running it in Linux.

Andrew.

Rob Halförd - (Gridcoin)

What we need for more exchanges to get GRC into cosideration is to have a the gridcoind CLI for Linux, reason is most of those website run on linux and they are not going to change or run the full fledged wallet expecially if it need to be in a VM because it is only windows... otherwise we are out of the market.

Yes like Andrew said gridcoind is available now; CCEX uses it and Allcrypt use it and all the rpc commands work.

Regarding VMs, we did away with that idea.  The gridcoin-qt-linux and gridcoin-qt-mac work with wine now, and to my knowledge now you can mine on them natively in linux and mac.

C.M

Yes like Andrew said gridcoind is available now; CCEX uses it and Allcrypt use it and all the rpc commands work.

Regarding VMs, we did away with that idea.  The gridcoin-qt-linux and gridcoin-qt-mac work with wine now, and to my knowledge now you can mine on them natively in linux and mac.

Are there plans for a linux client that does not need wine to run?

How big of an impact is the wine requirement on system resources?

Lederstrumpf

You only need wine for the wallet. At least in my Debian virtual box, the combined wine overhead stayed beneath 10mb consistently.

Sawedoff

Just downloaded. No active connections to the network?

GEmC5bkUsvxjqG2wV2mUVFC1Ubbeps69HD

Lederstrumpf

Just downloaded. No active connections to the network?

GEmC5bkUsvxjqG2wV2mUVFC1Ubbeps69HD

Ye, you picked a bad time to start ;)

We're currently in the process of upgrading to a new version that breaks compatibility with previous iterations - add gridcoin.us to your nodes; it's synced with what seems to be the correct chain by now. Most of it seems to have stabilized by now, but you might still be facing synchronization issues for the following few hours, while your client is still confused as to which chain is the strongest fork.

Sawedoff

Still no luck. Would it be easier to just to kill it and redownload? Is there a newer version up?

andrewp

Hi all,

There seems to be a new article about Gridcoin on this site:

http://habrahabr.ru/post/218141/

I don't understand it, however after using google translator it seems that they like Gridcoin :)

Does anybody know the site? Is it good/big? I've checked their twitter and they have like 65k followers.

Andrew.

• Like 1

myro_ua

Yes, it's one of the biggest russian-speaking it community. It's good, and yes, they liked, though not so much interest, as an average article there earns.

I actually came to gridcoin, after reading that article.

Hi all,

There seems to be a new article about Gridcoin on this site:

http://habrahabr.ru/post/218141/

I don't understand it, however after using google translator it seems that they like Gridcoin :)

Does anybody know the site? Is it good/big? I've checked their twitter and they have like 65k followers.

Andrew.

C.M

Well never heard about botnet those can cripple a small coin network of only CPUs and easily do a 51% attack on it.

Also Scrypt Asics are real at least 3 company are going to ship this year 2014 large multi-MHs units and some are already shipping like the one using griseed GC3355 CHIPs, that is why we should go to a more complex CPU/GPU only crypto that it is either more memory intensive than scrypt, Quark, Dark, or some other intelligent deterrent.

Old post, but I disagree with moving gridcoin to become a cpu/gpu only crypto - we want as much computing resources to be pointed at BOINC as possible. Scrypt mining being offloaded onto asics is a good thing; if they don't contribute towards boinc, they cant mine. If you contribute 10x the boinc points than them for individual projects, they'll earn 10x less with said asic. It's a self balancing issue.