Rob Halförd - (Gridcoin)

Gridcoin GRC Information - Classic in Retirement

aysyr

Okay I thought blocks were showing rejected on your client. Rejects on cgminer is usually due to improper configuration. If that's the latest version of cgminer, I heard people get lots of issue with it... try downgrading or using guiminer-scrypt to mine. Guiminer is definitely a lot easier to use especially if you use reaper (you can run cgminer or reaper on guiminer).

johnatx

I am using cgminer 3.5 according to the setup webpage on gridcoin.us.

Does my cgminer.conf look ok to you? It did not show any hardware error though.

Xavier_MJ

I love the concept of GridCoin, but where the wallet for Mac?!  

Tugvarish

I would like to know which one is the official website gridcoin.us or gricoinnetwork.org ???

And if both what are the differences and purposes?

Rob Halförd - (Gridcoin)

I would like to know which one is the official website gridcoin.us or gricoinnetwork.org ???

And if both what are the differences and purposes?

History: Aysyr is the VP of Product Dev (I was going to give him a military title, but we'll see where we progress, lol), anyway he started the facebook page and the network page to support Gridcoin.  From his perspective hes focusing on cosmetics.

I'm buried with technical issues.  Gridcoin.us is my page.  When things settle down we're  going to upgrade the web site to a standard theme that looks better but is also capable of responding to the gridcoin API (a technical requirement for releases and stats).

So, in a few months we'll have something nicer looking and eventually find a way to integrate together.

Rob

aysyr

Unless he fixed it before me reading this, it works on my end :P

Tugvarish

Unless he fixed it before me reading this, it works on my end :P

Oh, Yes the all site is completely redone.

It looks nice.

Zerauth

After reading about all these problems with the blockchain and reading about the energy efficiency of this coin I felt that I had to reiterate a prior idea, and though I know implementing it won't be easy, it will make this coin better: merged mining with BTC. This is the most energy efficient means of making a coin since the energy is already being used for something else. Yes, you're dependent on BTC, but what altcoin isn't? This would give the hashing power needed to secure the block chain and would stop wasting GPU power on attempting to secure the block chain (which isn't working as evidenced by the number of times I've been forked while mining). GPUs should be used for [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], etc, not for trying, and failing, to secure the block chain.

joeykrug

The fact that you forked and got blocks rejected means that, in fact, the blockchain is working. Syncing issues also appear to be fixed so far with latest update (fingers crossed). And the other big issue with merged mining is that this coin is scrypt based, not sha like bitcoin.

Zerauth

The fact that you forked and got blocks rejected means that, in fact, the blockchain is working. Syncing issues also appear to be fixed so far with latest update (fingers crossed). And the other big issue with merged mining is that this coin is scrypt based, not sha like bitcoin.

Thank you, good point. Merge GRC/LTC for example and then we can get LTC also. I really think the idea of being paid to science as hard as you can will be well received.

Now, assuming merged mining is not in the cards, we should move GRC to POW/POS as POS is supposed to be energy efficient. It also eventually allows the GPU to be freed up to do more science or be used for other coins.

Rob Halförd - (Gridcoin)

After reading about all these problems with the blockchain and reading about the energy efficiency of this coin I felt that I had to reiterate a prior idea, and though I know implementing it won't be easy, it will make this coin better: merged mining with BTC. This is the most energy efficient means of making a coin since the energy is already being used for something else. Yes, you're dependent on BTC, but what altcoin isn't? This would give the hashing power needed to secure the block chain and would stop wasting GPU power on attempting to secure the block chain (which isn't working as evidenced by the number of times I've been forked while mining). GPUs should be used for [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], etc, not for trying, and failing, to secure the block chain.

You cant merge mine BTC & GRC.  BTC is SHA256 double hashed, we're scrypt.  Were not switching to SHA since sha is being overridden by asics and that could potentially be a central point of authority which I think our community is against.

Rob Halförd - (Gridcoin)

Thank you, good point. Merge GRC/LTC for example and then we can get LTC also. I really think the idea of being paid to science as hard as you can will be well received.

Now, assuming merged mining is not in the cards, we should move GRC to POW/POS as POS is supposed to be energy efficient. It also eventually allows the GPU to be freed up to do more science or be used for other coins.

We floated the idea of scrypt-sleep and mining litecoin (which is very similar to merged mining ltc-grc) and it wasnt yet well received - Feel free to ask Aysyr to do a poll on it.

2) I don't see the security in PoS; not really into a questionable solution.  Id rather have something solid here that we can grow on.

Zerauth

Can you see from my point of view how it seems that less science is being done than hashing by a huge margin? With no plan to abandon PoW we're perpetually pumping electricity into GPUs when they could be doing science. I'm a cruncher first, and found myself excited by GRC and its promise of being paid to BOINC. Now that it looks like we're instead going to keep occupying GPU time that could be searching for aliens, curing cancer, identifying pulsars and FSM knows what else I find myself going back to pure BOINCing. Being paid is nice, but advancing humanity is far greater.

edit: talked with Aysyr and he cleared up many of the issues that have been raised by my ideas already and why they haven't been implemented.

dE_logics

So this's basically a Microsoft Boinc coin.

MysticPixie

So this's basically a Microsoft Boinc coin.

Near as I can tell Microsoft isn't involved with this at all. FUD much?