Rob Halförd - (Gridcoin)

Gridcoin GRC Information - Classic in Retirement

The_Catman

I'm curious, how would you setup a pooled mining service with this coin, or is that even possible?

aysyr

Currently there is in-client pooled mining, and it works great! Only flaw is, for your shares to start to be counted (they'll still be paid for though), you need to first find a block yourself before you start getting paid every time the pool finds a block. At the moment, it isn't too bad except for anyone with less than 100kh/s. However, once the difficulty gets higher this will be a bigger problem. Hopefully by that time the dev will have found a way to relinquish the need of finding a block before getting added to the pool roster. It's currently in place to protect the network from having people not running BOINC from wrongfully joining the pool.

evoked

I wanted to present a potential gridcoin value-add feature:

First, I don't want to add anything that will pollute or disturb the blockchain.  I originally thought about having a separate coin, something to the effect of FTPCoin that would give the user the ability to encrypt a file with the recipients public wallet key, and "send" the file to a target FTPCoin user, with a fee of about $.01 cent per K or something, and when that file is received, the recipient client (code would automatically) discover that their private wallet key would be able to decrypt that file, it would be placed in the Inbox folder with a certain naming convention (senders wallet? as a foldername).        That would enable automatic file transfers from coin user - to user.  

I started thinking of all of the large cloud services that are now supposedly putting back doors in their encryption products to make it easier for that data to be concentrated and sent to agencies by law and compromised.  I was thinking, what service exists that would store files offline, securely, for free, but would not introduce a single point of failure.  The issue is, if we want to go with a non-distributed model to send one copy of a file directly from node to node, if that target node is not up at the instant the file is being sent, this option fails (when done outside of the block chain).  That is a big negative, because we want to be able to spool a file out to a target that is offline and let the file appear days later when the target Is online.

On the other hand, if we store the file as blocks in the blockchain, every node will have this file chopped up into pieces, replicated, across the whole network.  I was thinking that's good, but the problem is over time, the block chain gets polluted with massive amounts of data.  So now we need a housecleaning system to clean it up.  Maybe after the user Receives the file, we have all the nodes delete the extra data.  As long as the chain can compact itself, that would be OK.

Then I got to thinking, if these large cloud services are already storing e-mail data in the form of spam (and trying to read the data for targeted ads), what if we leverage the pop3 servers out there, with a certain naming convention to store our files that are in transit, as encrypted blocks?  Then our clients will connect to pop3 mailboxes, find out if any blocks are theirs, and decrypt the data, and present it in the form of files or emails back to the coin client user.  (And also, as Inbox files, to provide that additional service for companies who want to send encrypted files automatically box to box).

What is nice about that idea, is we dont pay for the persistent storage, the cloud services do (that try to snoop on us anyway), and this particular solution allows the offline spooling to the target user.  I like the fact that I can store data in a distributed network of pop3 mailboxes, encrypted, and still receive the spooled data at a later date.  Security is not compromised, because only  the recipient has the private key to her/his wallet.  

One other point, if we do this, we dont necessarily have to make a new coin, because this particular solution does not pollute the block chain with unecessary file data; it allows the creation of the data outside of the chain and the decryption of the data outside of the chain.  In this case, the sender/receiver program will be used to provide wallet addresses, key pairs, an interface to create a message, an interface to receive a message(s) in a list (and files that are attached), and the data is cleaned up as the users delete the data from coin interface, it is also then deleted on the pop3 servers.  

It holds regarding having no single point of failure, if one cloud provider goes away, users can create new pop3 accounts (using a wallet naming convention) with a different provider.  So, I'm not apprehensive (in this last case) about putting this feature in Gridcoin, to promote consolidation and energy savings.

I just wanted to present these ideas, as I'm considering creating a new feature to send/receive encrypted files, and emails as a value - add inside gridcoin.

Grid

That is amazing. How do you leverage of the pop3 servers (if by that you mean not dedicated to GRC)? Do they allow third party data to be stored and controlled?

I do not too much knowledge in this field and am curious. Also your interface is really nice. The fact that it allows you to choose what you want to contribute to and an excellent use of resource.

It will be very special indeed :)

Me123itisme

does not work for me, i get connection refused, my miner bfgminer can not get a connection to the client

MysticPixie

does not work for me, i get connection refused, my miner bfgminer can not get a connection to the client

I had this problem for a while. My firewall was blocking it. Doublecheck your firewall and make sure that both the miner as well as the wallet are allowed through.

smili

Edit: Sorry I was under the impression that bfgminer was only good for mining bitcoins because it's commonly used with asics and fpgas although it seems the scrypt part in bfgminer is only experimental

Edited by smili (see edit history)

cryptocash

Buying coins from 50000. Bitcoin payment. all questions in a personal message.

aysyr

Buying coins from 50000. Bitcoin payment. all questions in a personal message.

You should make a separate thread, that way more people are likely to see it as opposed to a post here :)

johnatx

aysyr,

I have been mining for the past 2.5 days without luck at all to find a single block. All my blocks are rejected.

Is it true that it is so hard now to find the first block to get added to the pool roster? My hash rate is about 500KH/s right now.

I have been running BOINC all these time when client is on and BOINC percentage is 100%.

Not sure what to do here to get my first gridcoin.

John

Currently there is in-client pooled mining, and it works great! Only flaw is, for your shares to start to be counted (they'll still be paid for though), you need to first find a block yourself before you start getting paid every time the pool finds a block. At the moment, it isn't too bad except for anyone with less than 100kh/s. However, once the difficulty gets higher this will be a bigger problem. Hopefully by that time the dev will have found a way to relinquish the need of finding a block before getting added to the pool roster. It's currently in place to protect the network from having people not running BOINC from wrongfully joining the pool.

aysyr

There was recently an update that separated us from a rogue fork from one of the last updates. You might not be up to date. If you go to the Help > About Gridcoin, what version does it say? It should either say 1.1.3.9 or 1.1.4.0 If not, close your Gridcoin client, delete your Program Files (x86)\Gridcoin folder if you installed to there, delete everything in your \AppData\Roaming\Gridcoin folder EXCEPT your wallet.dat,  gridcoin.conf and guiminer folder should you be using it. Backup your wallet.dat just in case. Then, download and install the latest MSI. When you run it, it will download  the entire blockchain again. Make sure when it finishes, your blocks (seen by hovering your mouse over the green checkmark on the bottom right of the client) should match the count on explorer.gridcoin.us

If you have version 1.1.3.9 or 1.1.4.0 already, check your block count against the explorer as I previously just said. If it doesn't match, close your client, delete the files I described above from your AppData\Roaming\Gridcoin folder, and start the client again, verifying the block count matches after the sync.

johnatx

Aysys, thanks for the reply.

My version is Gridcoin v1.1.3.9-g71-prod. Is this one ok.

My client says "up to date", 30470 which matches exactly what is on explorer.gridcoin.us.

John

aysyr

We're trying to get everyone to 1.1.4.0 but yes, 1.1.3.9 should be working. And you've been getting the rejected blocks while running that version and caught up with blocks? You're poolmining right? Is your client reading BOINC utilization above 0?

johnatx

Yes. I have been getting blocks all rejected while running 1.1.3.9 and blocks are always up-to-date.

I have "poolmining=true" and BOINC utilization is 100%.

Here are the log for the last 24hr run and configuration.

cgminer version 3.5.0 - Started: [2013-12-11 20:22:48]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 (5s):499.2K (avg):497.9Kh/s | A:0  R:247705  HW:0  WU:453.5/m
 ST: 3  SS: 0  NB: 508  LW: 0  GF: 0  RF: 0
 Connected to 127.0.0.1 diff 76.9K without LP as user john
 Block: 40ebba1b12882e38...  Diff:76.9K  Started: [19:19:13]  Best share: 232K
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 [P]ool management [G]PU management ettings [D]isplay options [Q]uit
 GPU 0:  73.0C 2448RPM | 499.7K/497.9Kh/s | A:0 R:247705 HW:0 WU:453.5/m I:13

Here is my gridcoin.conf:

rpcuser=john
rpcpassword=x
rpcallowip=127.0.0.1
rpcport=9332
server=1
poolmining=true

Here is my cgminer.conf:

{
"pools" : [
    {
        "url" : "http://127.0.0.1:9332",