Rob Halförd - (Gridcoin)

Gridcoin GRC Information - Classic in Retirement

Rob Halförd - (Gridcoin)

Hi Ropyu,

Whenever the "registered version" is 0, there is a problem with the install.  Try reinstalling with the MSI version, unblock the file if its blocked, and run as admin.  Then when it reloads you should have registered version at least 4.

Good luck.

Grid

Voidlord

Grid,

My registered version is 3 and it is running without issue (extraction/confirmation ok)

Is that a problem ?

Rob Halförd - (Gridcoin)

Hey Voidlord,

No the v4 fix was just for people having trouble with single core processors.  The newer version don't change anything else.

bobjtowers

Hello,

I would like to donate some of my free time

to contributing to gridcoin's development. 

I have 13 years experience as a C++/Java developer...

.. working on trading systems and inter-bank payment systems.

However, i have no experience with cryptocoin development

... but i'm sure i'll pick it up quite quickly.

Who do i need to approach with this question.

Do i need to send my CV to someone?

Thanks for your help

bob :-)

Rob Halförd - (Gridcoin)

Hello,

I would like to donate some of my free time

to contributing to gridcoin's development. 

I have 13 years experience as a C++/Java developer...

.. working on trading systems and inter-bank payment systems.

However, i have no experience with cryptocoin development

... but i'm sure i'll pick it up quite quickly.

Who do i need to approach with this question.

Do i need to send my CV to someone?

Thanks for your help

bob :-)

Hi Bob-

Sorry for the delay; I haven't had my settings monitoring this thread.

I'm very interested in hearing from you and we could use more help.

I'm very interested in your background - on one project, I ported the black scholes model to vb.net so we would definitely have a lot to talk about.

Please send your info to [email protected] and we can get started.

Thanks!

Rob Halford

praes

Hi my name is patrick and I am from germany.

Do you need some help in translating into german (info text, website, etc.)?

I have also some ui/graphic design skills too

greets

Patrick.

Voidlord

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for your help !

and sorry for the late,

PM Aysyr or Preston Keys to know more about the needs.

Have a good day,

A L I E N

I hope you wait until Monday to release any major updates.  Myself and many others travel on the weekends so we would not be around to update wallets and miners..

Keep up the good work!

Rob Halförd - (Gridcoin)

Thanks, Im really trying hard to release the latest this weekend, but it's not going to be the one that breaks the wallet anyway, just the one that encourages everyone to upgrade so we can have the cpu-mining hash in the chain and the guiminer feature - been banging my head with that guiminer feature, almost apprehensive that I didnt make a custom version of reaper just for gridcoin - I get a lot of crashes from cgminer and I think it takes down gridcoin because now guiminer is attached to the gridcoin window; anyway, been testing reaper for the last 4 hours, so thats whats taking so long.  I also added some beta features related to the CPUminers sending project information out for a feature coming later.  So you should be cool this weekend if it comes out and people start upgrading.

Thanks,

Rob H.

Zerauth

While messing around with BOINC utilization and actual utilization I came across something that bothers me a lot. I can run 1 of 4 cores and run my video card and get 150 GRC every block I hit. I'm only donating 1/4 of my CPUs potential to science and yet I'm being rewarded at the highest level. Now I fail to see why i should be getting full utilization at only 1/4 maximum load. It seems like a lot less power is going to science than is going to hashing. If this coin is really about science couldn't merged mining solve the hashing problem while both GPU and CPU power goes to BOINC? Namecoin is proving that being a merged coin doesn't necessarily spell doom.

lmue

I want to get involved in the development as well. I am a PhD researcher in Germany in the mobile communication area, and I know well about the computer languages. I am a Chinese and I can help setting up some website in Chinese and try to put GRC in some Chinese trading system.

Rob Halförd - (Gridcoin)

@Zerauth,

Yes, that algo is our original.  Weve started collecting the boinc avg daily credits recently.  We will be upgrading in the next few days to enforce that in the chain 1st, then talk to everyone about tweaking the reward based on avgcredits+utilization.

Also, working on cpumining as a subset extra capability.

@Imue & Others,

Would be interested in talking to people that may want to write an android or iphone thinclient version of gridcoin.

I just tackled the block explorer so I dont think we need that.

Rob H.

MysticPixie

Preston do you know how the avg daily credits are calculated? I don't always have BOINC/GridCoin running. Does this hurt my ability to mine gridcoin? I always have BOINC going full bore when I mine, and when I don't have it running I don't mine. Does this hurt my avg daily credits?

Rob Halförd - (Gridcoin)

Preston do you know how the avg daily credits are calculated? I don't always have BOINC/GridCoin running. Does this hurt my ability to mine gridcoin? I always have BOINC going full bore when I mine, and when I don't have it running I don't mine. Does this hurt my avg daily credits?

Hi MysicPixie,

In the long run in the pool_mining mode it will, since everyone would be competing with their own avg_credits reading against the others, and if one person is running an amd boinc project, they would accrue avg_credits faster than others ending up with more boinc shares.  But for solo mining it may not hurt you if you have > 1000 avg daily credits, since the homogenized reading is about half of the equation.  The other problem is some boinc projects accrue credits quicker than others, that's why we haven't changed it yet-- still looking at that - milkyway seems to pay many more credits than RNA World and more than Malaria (which personally ticks me off, since Id rather encourage people to boinc more humanitarian projects than earn credits).  Anyway one thing you might realize is you definitely will be able to stop for X amount of hours, and the avg credits will drop because they are divided over 31 days, but just the same, if you boinc a lot the avg will rise no matter when you did it.  So as usual its something we have to refine; but since each Berkeley project calculates the avg_credits on their servers & project algos, it is a nice way to allow fair competition across disparate CPU/GPU types.

Thanks,

Rob H.

• Like 1