23th0fo.png

GRIDCOIN GRC

GridCoin is a new peer-to-peer internet based cryptocurrency that aims to provide real benefits to humanity by compensating the coin miners for participating in BOINC projects that may lead to advances in medicine, biology, mathematics, science, climatology, and astrophysics by concentrating a large percentage of the computational power towards BOINC research - instead of generating unecessary heat and wasted power for the proof of work algorithms required to keep the coin network running.

It is estimated that bitcoin is using approximately 23,312 megawatt hours per day (see electric consumption at blockchain.info/stats (24 hour stats)) of electric for block solving algorithms.

The aim of the gridcoin project is to shift the computational power primarily to Boinc projects while the mining operations become a second priority - so as the network is scaled up, boinc utilization is scaled up in tandem.

The coin miners will be rewarded with a small token subsidy if they fail to mine boinc shares, but a much larger subsidy when mining with boinc.

This digital cryptocurrency allows instant peer to peer transactions, worldwide payments and very low processing fees. The source code is open source and allows everyone to take part in the success of the currency.

Gridcoin is based on the Bitcoin protocol but differs from Bitcoin in that it can be efficiently mined with consumer-grade hardware, therefore is not as likely to be replaced by specialized ASIC mining chips in the future.

Gridcoin provides faster transaction confirmations (2.5 minutes on average) and uses memory intensive scrypt-based proof-of-work algorithms to verify transactions.

Website
http://www.gridcoin.us

Contact
[email protected]

SPECIFICATIONS

• Scrypt Algo
  • Re-target difficulty: 30 minutes
  • 2.5 min block targets, for quick confirmations for merchants.
  • Block reward: VARIABLE:    5 to 150 subsidy.    5 is rewarded if you mine with a miner like cgminer without Boinc running on the machine, 6-150 if you mine with boinc running, you will receive a calculated subsidy based on boinc utilization.
  • Total coins: ~168 million (est.)
  •  

DOWNLOADS

Windows QT
http://www.gridcoin.us/download/gridcoin.zip

Windows Installer
http://www.gridcoin.us/download/gridcoin.msi

Windows Bionc
http://boinc.berkeley.edu/dl/boinc_6.6.38_windows_intelx86.exe

Windows Daemon
http://www.gridcoin.us/download/gridcoind.exe

Source Code
https://github.com/gridcoin/Gridcoin-master

Mining Instructions
http://www.gridcoin.us/download/GridCoinMiningInstructions.pdf

Sample gridcoin.conf

rpcuser=username
rpcpassword=password
rpcallowip=localhost
rpcport=9778
server=1
gen=0

PORTS

• RPC Port: 9778
  • RPC Port (testnet):  19778

EXCHANGES

None Available.

SERVICES / OTHER

None Available.

Solo mining Gridcoin atm with BOINC running also.

Not found any block yet.

Is "Boinc Processing Power:" supposed to show 0, i see threads and version, BOINC have completed a few projects so far..

Hey Exnom,

No, it should be above zero.  In the mining console, what registered version is showing?

If 0, try registering boinc.dll from the command line, or uninstalling and reinstalling with the MSI version (that version auto registers the DLL).

Good luck.

Grid

Hey Exnom,

No, it should be above zero.  In the mining console, what registered version is showing?

If 0, try registering boinc.dll from the command line, or uninstalling and reinstalling with the MSI version (that version auto registers the DLL).

Good luck.

Grid

It shows registered version 3..

Downloaded MSI version

Ran BOINC & Gridcoin installers.

Registered at BOINC & Restarted PC.

Synced wallet

Started miner

BOINC processing power: 0

Threads: 4

Mining Module Registered Verson: 3

Ensure boinc is running as the same user as you are and it is not paused, then try going to task manager and take us a pic of the boinc process threads and the processor utilization and post here (there should be a number above 10% in the processor column) if those threads are doing anything.  Restart gridcoin and refresh the mining module screen a few times - post after all this fails and you are still at zero.

Technically, your 95% there, since gridcoin sees the threads and the version is functioning.  It just cant read any utilization.

Grid

Thanks Tsunami!

Were doing pretty good so far.  14Mh/s ~ 1200 blocks mined.  35 users.  2 seed nodes.

If you like the idea, please write a short post or even a one liner on this forum to help get us accepted on Cryptsy:

https://cryptsy.fres...last#post-84875

Thanks,
Grid

Thanks Tsunami!

Were doing pretty good so far.  14Mh/s ~ 1200 blocks mined.  35 users.  2 seed nodes.

If you like the idea, please write a short post or even a one liner on this forum to help get us accepted on Cryptsy:

https://cryptsy.fres...last#post-84875

Thanks,

Grid

You'll get on cryptsy my friend, mark my words! ;)

Just thought I would pop in and see how you're doing. I hear you have been chatting with my man Sean.

If there is anything I can do to help out just let me know. I am pretty tied up right now with Netcoin obviously but I will lend a hand whenever I can, I'll be talking with mullick and the cryptsy gang about getting you added. As soon as the new servers are online and 100% working I redkon you will be there!

Take care and best of luck with everything mate.

I wanted to present a potential gridcoin value-add feature:

First, I don't want to add anything that will pollute or disturb the blockchain.  I originally thought about having a separate coin, something to the effect of FTPCoin that would give the user the ability to encrypt a file with the recipients public wallet key, and "send" the file to a target FTPCoin user, with a fee of about $.01 cent per K or something, and when that file is received, the recipient client (code would automatically) discover that their private wallet key would be able to decrypt that file, it would be placed in the Inbox folder with a certain naming convention (senders wallet? as a foldername).        That would enable automatic file transfers from coin user - to user.  

I started thinking of all of the large cloud services that are now supposedly putting back doors in their encryption products to make it easier for that data to be concentrated and sent to agencies by law and compromised.  I was thinking, what service exists that would store files offline, securely, for free, but would not introduce a single point of failure.  The issue is, if we want to go with a non-distributed model to send one copy of a file directly from node to node, if that target node is not up at the instant the file is being sent, this option fails (when done outside of the block chain).  That is a big negative, because we want to be able to spool a file out to a target that is offline and let the file appear days later when the target Is online.

On the other hand, if we store the file as blocks in the blockchain, every node will have this file chopped up into pieces, replicated, across the whole network.  I was thinking that's good, but the problem is over time, the block chain gets polluted with massive amounts of data.  So now we need a housecleaning system to clean it up.  Maybe after the user Receives the file, we have all the nodes delete the extra data.  As long as the chain can compact itself, that would be OK.

Then I got to thinking, if these large cloud services are already storing e-mail data in the form of spam (and trying to read the data for targeted ads), what if we leverage the pop3 servers out there, with a certain naming convention to store our files that are in transit, as encrypted blocks?  Then our clients will connect to pop3 mailboxes, find out if any blocks are theirs, and decrypt the data, and present it in the form of files or emails back to the coin client user.  (And also, as Inbox files, to provide that additional service for companies who want to send encrypted files automatically box to box).

What is nice about that idea, is we dont pay for the persistent storage, the cloud services do (that try to snoop on us anyway), and this particular solution allows the offline spooling to the target user.  I like the fact that I can store data in a distributed network of pop3 mailboxes, encrypted, and still receive the spooled data at a later date.  Security is not compromised, because only  the recipient has the private key to her/his wallet.  

One other point, if we do this, we dont necessarily have to make a new coin, because this particular solution does not pollute the block chain with unecessary file data; it allows the creation of the data outside of the chain and the decryption of the data outside of the chain.  In this case, the sender/receiver program will be used to provide wallet addresses, key pairs, an interface to create a message, an interface to receive a message(s) in a list (and files that are attached), and the data is cleaned up as the users delete the data from coin interface, it is also then deleted on the pop3 servers.  

It holds regarding having no single point of failure, if one cloud provider goes away, users can create new pop3 accounts (using a wallet naming convention) with a different provider.  So, I'm not apprehensive (in this last case) about putting this feature in Gridcoin, to promote consolidation and energy savings.

I just wanted to present these ideas, as I'm considering creating a new feature to send/receive encrypted files, and emails as a value - add inside gridcoin.

Grid

Hi meee,

Yeah Ive been chatting with him, hes brilliant, hes got so many projects going on, its crazy.

He was able to get us added to http://cryptoblackjack.kicks-ass.net/index.php?coin_type=38!  Really excited about that.  I put in the seed money yesterday so, if anyone wants to play blackjack with GRC have at it!

I hope your doing great.

Hi meee,

Yeah Ive been chatting with him, hes brilliant, hes got so many projects going on, its crazy.

He was able to get us added to http://cryptoblackjack.kicks-ass.net/index.php?coin_type=38!  Really excited about that.  I put in the seed money yesterday so, if anyone wants to play blackjack with GRC have at it!

I hope your doing great.

He is an interesting fellow! And pushing himself to the edge! Trying to do everything at once! I wish I had some of that energy! Ha I'm guessing he has suggested Joe Jones for your art work etc. Hopefully he should have something for Netcoin soon and then you can at least check out his work.

He's defo got a few connections as well! ;)

We're going well infact you sound like the kinda guy I need to speak to! I think we could maybe help each other out here!

First off I want to address your previous comment...

Holy ****ing **** dude! I won't pretend I understand all of it but I get the general gist, I think... Anonymous secure file transfer basically yeah? Sounds epic! I really love your ideas and imagination! Having that coupled with your brain holy cow!

You're going places my friend big places! Can I hang off your coat tails! :P

Okay, I have some ideas of my own, nothing as technmical or as ground breaking as that but some (I think) good ideas non the less. Unfortunately unlike you I lack the technical knowhow and so I adapt and compromise as best I can! That is not really what I want for my projects! I know they can be big and coupled with yours the sky is the limit!

My main asset I would say is my networking abilities and my drive to get things done! I really am enthusiastic to push and drive the projects I care about to where they should be! I'm a good communicator and I feel I have the ability to bring people together.

Now, I propose we have a more private discussion so that I may share some of my vission and ideas with you! Would that be okay? Skype?

Look forward to your reply :)

i have run the boinc and register mining module with the client qt.

the cpu is running 100%,

why the Boinc Processing Power: 0 and Threads: 0 and Mining Module Registered Version:0