Rob Halförd - (Gridcoin)

New Coin Launch Announcement - GRC - GridCoin

MysticPixie

@Preston

Had to totally uninstall and reinstall (not sure what was sticking around but something did), but after that wallet hasn't crashed yet. I'm getting BOINC MD5 as well as BOINC Block information. Boinc utilization is updating and wallet seems stable. Fantastic!

Gonna kick off some mining and see what happens. I'll change the name of that other thread, but looks like this bug is squashed! MANY thanks!

Rob Halförd - (Gridcoin)
Working on the new GRC Upgrade feature now so users can type "upgrade" from the gridcoin command line to automatically upgrade the client.

This will alleviate the need to delete the program files (x86)\gridcoin directory between upgrades.

I realize some people do not want to automatically upgrade their files, so this will be optional, you have to manually type "upgrade" or from the program directory you can type "grcrestarter upgrade" outside of the client to upgrade on your own schedule.

This also fixes the bug where you have to unblock the download, the program will do it automatically.

Best Regards,

Rob Halford

Rob Halförd - (Gridcoin)

Just a few updates, and a very important message, and Ill try to answer the CPU mining questions asap.

1) Mac Client: Our Linux programmer has explained to me that he can handle the creation of the mac client.  The mac client depends on the Linux client.  The Linux client is currently back in development while we add the boinc security / cpuminer feature.  We'll start a thread for the progress on that.  So, mac client is not forgotten, it is behind the Linux version.

2) We are going to start enforcing the new boinchash starting with block 26150.  This should occur on Wednesday 12-4-2013 @ approximately 5PM CST.   Please upgrade your client before that date!!!!!! This is extremely important, because the older versions do not put all of the security information in the chain, and if you are running an older version (before version 25 in the mining screen), your blocks will not be accepted by anyone else on the network!  Therefore, you will not be able to mine!  So please upgrade now, and although we will have a new version available before that time, you will be able to type "upgrade" from the command line to get the latest before Wednesday.  I have been looking at the last 30 blocks, and I see approximately 33% of our network is still running the old version.  We should try to achieve 100% by Wednesday so miners aren't attempting to propogate bad blocks to the network.

Rob Halförd - (Gridcoin)

Maybe Gridcoin cant see the boinc application directory, is it located in c:\program files\boinc?  If not see page 18 of this thread:

We just released v4.73 under prod & beta if you want to test it.

In this version it honors two new keys:

boincappfolder=C:\Program Files\Boinc\
boincdatafolder=C:\ProgramData\Boinc\

Please set them with your personal values if boinc is not located in "Program files" in windows.  Note: please use a trailing backslash as above.  Note: The App folder is where "boinc.exe" is located on your machine.  The Data folder is where client_state is located on your machine. 

Set those two keys to the proper places, and reload, let us know.

Also try "lodctr /r" from command line.  Also ensure you unblocked the download, maybe is not running as admin.

Thanks,

Rob

lmue

I tried "lodctr /r", then works fine again. thanks. werid

bon4ire

Running 4.77 here. So far smooth sailing. Boinc processing power @100 on mining module and on the wallet. Now waiting to see if it picks up coins.

Rob Halförd - (Gridcoin)

We are going to start enforcing the new boinchash starting with block 26150.  This should occur on Wednesday 12-4-2013 @ approximately 5PM CST.   Please upgrade your client before that date!!!!!! This is extremely important, because the older versions do not put all of the security information in the chain, and if you are running an older version (before version 25 in the mining screen), your blocks will not be accepted by anyone else on the network!  Therefore, you will not be able to mine!  So please upgrade now, and although we will have a new version available before that time, you will be able to type "upgrade" from the command line to get the latest before Wednesday.  I have been looking at the last 30 blocks, and I see approximately 33% of our network is still running the old version.  We should try to achieve 100% by Wednesday so miners aren't attempting to propogate bad blocks to the network.

Reposting in case the message was lost.  Bitcointalk down to a man in the middle attack.

I will have one more update between now and Wednesday, you should be able to test the "upgrade" feature at that time.

Have a good one,

Rob H.

andrewp

how to configure auto restart wallet and miner?  why should we do that?

Hi Imue,

restarts are configured by modifying your ''gridcoin.conf'' file in ...AppData\Roaming\Gridcoin

open the file in a notepad and add these two lines:

1) restartwallet='number of minutes after which wallet restarts'

2) restartminer='number of minutes after which miner restarts'

Save the file and restart wallet. If done correctly you can now see the set up number of minutes for restart in your Mining Console under 'Restart Miner in Mins' and 'Restart Wallet in Mins'.

Hope this helps,

Andrew.

Rob Halförd - (Gridcoin)

Which version of gridcoin/QT/Boinc do i need exactly? I thought the version in Mining Module Screen is related to BOINC?

The version in the mining module screen is related to the boinc.dll, but we increment the integer everytime we make a new build.  Anything above 25 you should be OK.  You should still get the latest so you can type "upgrade" from the command line in the future, and save yourself some hassle.  Boincs version doesn't matter.

Good luck mining.

Rob H.

GRDMINER

Thanks Preston for fast answer. I've delete my current installation and replaced it with the most current beta version so I'm on the safe side ;)

As I'm one of these unlucky guys without any usable GPU Power in my machines I'm trying the CPU way. I'v done all these steps from page 16 (install beta, set cpumining in conf, boinc project creation etc) but the project console in my wallet does not save my default address?! I pasted it in the related field and hit save-it disappears, adding it again hit save-everything looks good, close the console open it again it's gone :( Can I add it manually to the conf file? Which key do I need to use?

edit: reading the other posts it feels like cpumining is not yet available for everybody? sorry for asking all these newbie questions but I really would like to participate and the only GC I could use is a NVIDIA card without any real power and as far as I remember is there no chance to start guiminer-scrypt as it requireds ATI cards and drivers, So far I didnt managed it to get a working setup. BOINC and gridcoin-QT seems to work fine and cudaminer is runing the whole day and calculating hashes without any effect. Where is my mistake? does the true poolming attribute in conf has any influence on that?

bon4ire

There is a lot of exciting stuff going on.  I am currently involved in writing a new GPU mining specification that may replace scrypt.  What is exciting, at least to me, is the ability to write a specification that includes a new Sleep algorithm as part of the operation of the hash function, to make Gridcoin the most efficient coin out there period, and possibly others will want to adopt this new algorithm as well.  I can't give away all the details yet, but on the surface it would appear that your GPU card was saving 75% of the energy, but doing all of the same work.  It works by using a new type of receiving wallet address, one that takes 5 hours to generate.  Your GPU is only allowed to cryptographically work during certain timeslices that are bound cryptographically to wallet timeslices, depending on how the algorithm uses the GPUs parallel processing threads.  That's all I can say now, but the bottom line is if we end up adopting this spec, we will be able to bring GPU miners from other coins to Gridcoin and save 75% of the required watts per hour, but still achieve the same mining results.

Have a good one Everyone,

Rob Halford

Exciting news indeed! Looking forward to this.

Satyre_Noir

Any news when Gridcoin is going to be included on Cryptsy? I'm eager to invest in such beautiful project.

Rob Halförd - (Gridcoin)

this is really exciting. if this comes true, we can beat any other cloned coins and comparable to BTC and LTC only one day.

just one question, how can you change the algorithm while we are mining GRC, you need 51% load to do this or?

Hi Imue,

It would be a pretty major change, 1, the wallet would generate a special type of GRC receive address, a base58 compatible format allowing backward compatibility to send/receive coins.  As far as moving to the md5-sleep algorithm (pending any namechange), we would have to target a future arbitrary block number, and have everyone upgrade before that date.  The new code would be used for that block going forward.  The new integrated openCL miner would be part of the mining console (giving us the accepted/invalid display back), and difficulty would auto-adjust based on the new algorithm and active users.  The cgminer-reaper miners would no longer work and we would no longer need a loopback address (which imo is excellent since we would have one less layer to deal with).  The config would be much simpler for new users also.  The largest benefit of course would be how much of a % the GPUs would sleep as compared to today; obviously the wattage would drop on the rigs by that %, another major benefit.  So far, its looking really promising, as the actual algo would be strong and the sleep portion so far does not pose a security risk, mainly because of the way the new blocks would enforce the generation time based on the exact GRC network time and that would be tied to the new address format.  The only risk I am working on now is dealing with users who try to generate multiple wallets and try to run them in parallel; but I think we can solve that issue.

Rob H.

Rob H.

A L I E N

Things are getting back to normal now; btw I upgraded the minimum network protocol to 1000 in the source, that keeps compatibility with any client 25 or higher; but forces our nodes not to talk to anyone lower.  The last hour went perfectly so I think we are stabilizing.

Just checked my 4 machines and we should be on 26258.  Block explorer was down; restarted it.

Good luck man,

Rob H.

No offense but you are not on the longest chain and that is what caused the fork and problems..  Usually the longest chian is the correct one unless the vps nodes try to force otherwise and then you have forks and syncing problems.  Please post your VPS nodes so we can get on the correct chain, my 5.0 client is getting hung between the forks and cannot complete syncing.  My other machines on 4.77 are on block 26327 which is the longest fork with around 30 connections so there are many others on that fork as well.

Littlestan

Ok, hold the phone, stop the presses! I think I figured out the issue....

In addition to making sure you start with a clean slate by deleting the c:\program files (x86)\Gridcoin folder it is

imperative to delete the c:\users\<user name>\appdata\roaming\gridcoin folder as well BUT ONLY after saving the

gridcoin.conf file, guiminer folder(if you've placed it here) and ESPECIALLY the wallet.dat file to another location like your desktop.

This completely solved all my problems THANK GAD after 9 hours of fiddling and messing around.

GRC, I love you, but today we have learned many things about each other. xD