Rob Halförd - (Gridcoin)

New Coin Launch Announcement - GRC - GridCoin

Rob Halförd - (Gridcoin)

Here is an explainer video on Gridcoin I created myself. Let me know what you guys think.

Wow, Traderman that's a really cool video!  It's cool you took the time to do that.

I just received a 'mining instruction document' from an anonymous miner in the coin e-mail box.  I'll have to add a section to the web site for documents and also add your video.  

Here is a quick progress update:

1. I fixed the bug where we were querying for the pool mining transactions too often in the background and made it respect the mode, so the responsiveness while pool mining is back to normal (if you noticed a 5 second jerk in that mode).  I also made the boinc charts update once every 5 minutes in the background, so as not to take any processor power.

2.  Added the CPU proof of work-strictly related to proving the user is running boinc while gpu mining.  The program stores the CPU PoW, boinc Project info, and standard boinc info (including the hash solution) in the block header.  Since I don't want to break everyone with this update, we can do it in two phases, one Ill release it and let it propogage then Ill look at the data and we can force an upgrade in a couple weeks (that enforces the PoW answer per block after that block date).

3.  I put the boinc utilization & version in the about screen in case anyone has a problem getting to the new mining screen, they can see what version it is.

4.  The avg daily credits and boinc 4 character project names are stored in the chain and avg daily credits number is now in the program for the PoW, but currently not part of the algo, but there for a good reason.

5.  This is related to the new (not-enabled yet) CPU only mining option that is coming soon:  I added a Project Management page to allow storing your own public boinc userid per project (5 official projects can be used, this is limited by the set-up required in the program for each individual Berkeley seed node api, corresponding grc address and some other stuff) so at this time Ill release it with 5 projects to get us off the ground.

6.  The client can check your boinc credits per project through a public Boinc api and show them on the screen; this is to test the cpu mining PoW system.

7.  Since you may have more than one public receiving address, (and new ones are created automatically when you receive change from someone), you may end up with many receiving addresses and want to keep them that way.  I made the new client honor the address that is named "Default" in case you created many, for pool mining AND CPU Mining.  This comes into play if you want to sign up for a boinc project as a CPU miner, you would have to pick a GRC address.  You can now pick one and label it Default in the UI and the setting will stay even if you create more GRC addresses.

8.  The client has the capability to send out a project beacon once per day per boinc project into the chain as a transaction (costs .05 - .09 GRC right now, miners receive the TX fees back later), and what this does is tells everyone you are a cpu miner and you are working on that particular project.  

9.  The client adds up all outstanding CPU miner work and places it in Pool2, and calculates the total owed per CPU miner using Berkeleys credit system from the public API (not from the local boinc program) - this allows another miner that mined a GPU block to check the work of a CPU miner.  This Works, but is not ready to be released to test yet, but its very close.

10.  I have been expirimenting with Reaper vs Cgminer to see which is more stable for gridcoin, and I personally think reaper is better regarding stability.  Im only mentioning this since guiminers window is now inside gridcoin and it has the potential to take down gridcoin if one of its constituents crash.

Regardless of where the CPU mining option is I'm going to release the newest version this afternoon-evening.

Best Regards,

Rob Halford

trader1

ye i know on some of the audio i added some words here and there.

this is my first animation with software so I think it is good for a first time.

Nice video.

On the page with the project, there is a "inteeligence" missing after extraterrestrial though.

Rob Halförd - (Gridcoin)

Hey All,

@Traderman, I put your video on the front page http://www.gridcoin.us/, bottom right.

@Stan (wherever you are), I put your mining document on the front page in the mining section as the second document.  Thanks for the contribution.

Thanks gals/guys, will be uploading the new client within the next two hours.

Have a good one,

Rob H.

• Like 1

trader1

Wow very nice. Thanks.

Hey All,

@Traderman, I put your video on the front page http://www.gridcoin.us/, bottom right.

@Stan (wherever you are), I put your mining document on the front page in the mining section as the second document.  Thanks for the contribution.

Thanks gals/guys, will be uploading the new client within the next two hours.

Have a good one,

Rob H.

Rob Halförd - (Gridcoin)

BTW, If it helps anyone to know, you dont have to use guiminer or reaper, or the integrated miner; you can still user whatever miner you used prior to this upgrade.

The longer term goal here is to integrate a scrypt miner into gridcoin so you dont have the extra window, the config, and ultimately one page to view your accepted shares and that page can restart any crashed miner automatically (eventually!!).

Rob

A L I E N

I have not yet updated to the new version as I was afraid there may be issues.  As someone that has a number of GPU mining rigs, I do not like the idea of an intergrated miner.  Most of us use cgminer and have tweaked the settings to work best with our hardware and like the ability to switch to a different coin instantly if a wallet crashes or something else comes up.  This may be a good feature for more casual miners to aid with adoption though.

This can still be used with cgminer in the same way as the 1.0.3 release?

Rob Halförd - (Gridcoin)

I have not yet updated to the new version as I was afraid there may be issues.  As someone that has a number of GPU mining rigs, I do not like the idea of an intergrated miner.  Most of us use cgminer and have tweaked the settings to work best with our hardware and like the ability to switch to a different coin instantly if a wallet crashes or something else comes up.  This may be a good feature for more casual miners to aid with adoption though.

This can still be used with cgminer in the same way as the 1.0.3 release?

Hi Alien,

No, you can use cgminer.  If you dont use the integrated miner, it works fine.

@LennStar,

No you dont have to have 4 folders if you have 1 card, you can have one folder.  Just call it "Reaper01" and put the reaper files in it.

To get it working for your card, run guiminer outside of gridcoin, set up your reaper miner in a new tab, save the settings, and then go and grab that reaper folder named "Reaper-TabName" and move it to the gridcoin data dir, and rename it to "Reaper01".  It will have the litecoin.conf inside it automatically (as guiminer makes it for you).

I agree that we should make this easier to use for the new user, and replace the settings functionality that guiminer normally does for us:  I can integrate all the video card settings into gridcoin, and we can distribute

one 550k dependency for windows to automatically get new users started with gridcoin with a very simple config.

For power users like Alien, they can set up their own mining rig.

An idea is something along the lines of BFL's mining software, where it has a nice smooth black UI, and very few features, like an IPhone..... for the new users....

Obviously this is a step by step process, as the code has to be solid before we can make it easy to use.

I think Reaper was a step in the right direction; last night, all 3 of my test machines stayed up and none of them lost the block synchronization....  Im trying to isolate any potential wallet issues and remove them from the code so then we can add cool features.

Rob Halford

• Like 1

trader1

This is a very good idea to simplify everything. All a person has to do is download the client and open and up press a  few buttons and start mining. That will make it very easy for the average person to join in.

Hi Alien,

No, you can use cgminer.  If you dont use the integrated miner, it works fine.

@LennStar,

No you dont have to have 4 folders if you have 1 card, you can have one folder.  Just call it "Reaper01" and put the reaper files in it.

To get it working for your card, run guiminer outside of gridcoin, set up your reaper miner in a new tab, save the settings, and then go and grab that reaper folder named "Reaper-TabName" and move it to the gridcoin data dir, and rename it to "Reaper01".  It will have the litecoin.conf inside it automatically (as guiminer makes it for you).

I agree that we should make this easier to use for the new user, and replace the settings functionality that guiminer normally does for us:  I can integrate all the video card settings into gridcoin, and we can distribute

one 550k dependency for windows to automatically get new users started with gridcoin with a very simple config.

For power users like Alien, they can set up their own mining rig.

An idea is something along the lines of BFL's mining software, where it has a nice smooth black UI, and very few features, like an IPhone..... for the new users....

Obviously this is a step by step process, as the code has to be solid before we can make it easy to use.

I think Reaper was a step in the right direction; last night, all 3 of my test machines stayed up and none of them lost the block synchronization....  Im trying to isolate any potential wallet issues and remove them from the code so then we can add cool features.

Rob Halford

A L I E N

OK, I upgraded to the latest beta and it was easier than I expected.  Heres what I did:

1. Cut my .bat file from the C:\Program Files (x86)\Gridcoin directory.

2. Deleted all files in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Gridcoin directory.

3. Ran the new beta .msi

4. Pasted the .bat file back into C:\Program Files (x86)\Gridcoin

5. Launched Gridcoin as usual and was back to mining with cgminer as before.

One thing I noticed instantly was that the client was far more snappy.  I was able to up my BOINC cpu usage because the drag that the earlier wallet had is gone.  This is phenomenal, excellent job!

I have mined a couple blocks and they appear to be working correctly with BIONC.  I am not sure if they are adding the additional stuff to the block header but doing the "getblock 20000" test starts out as the following:

"3a94913164b731f5c712e4a7852575a3,1,100,CARD_VERSION,SOLO_MINING....

I hope this is correct.

The only issue I have noticed so far is that the mining console window cannot be resized properly without cutting off the buttons. 

Keep up the great work!

Rob Halförd - (Gridcoin)
Block Explorer available!

It also shows current difficulty and network hashps.

NOTE:  The blocks are synchronizing very slowly, in order to test this enter a block # below 1844.

Enjoy,

Rob Halford

aysyr

Nice to see the block explorer! It'll definitely be a nice thing to have :)

And also, I tried doing the upgrade to the latest beta, but it's not loading my reaper files. I copied my reaper-name folders to my C:/Program Files(x86)/Gridcoin folder and renamed them appropriately to Reaper01, Reaper02 and Reaper03, but when the Mining Console loads, I see the 4 reaper tabs but they're all just big white text boxes haha.

MysticPixie

Preston, think I might have found the issue. Looks like there may be a hard coded path? I'm not much of a coder, though I've dabbled here and there in the past. When I debug in Visual Studio the exception is "DirectoryNotFoundException was unhandled" and says "Could not find a part of the path 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Boinc\client_state.xml'.".

I'm no coder and I used the MSI to install. I may poke around with the source code on github later to see if I can fix it myself. I can't install BOINC to my C drive, though maybe I can cheat and write a batch script to mirror a few xml files (whatever the client is expecting).

Rob Halförd - (Gridcoin)

@Tjb,

Block explorer 23371, client: 23371.

The numbers have matched 99% of the time over the last 2 weeks on all my machines, and the only issue is one of my 4 "falls of the network" after X amount of hours (about 10hrs and then I reboot it and it resyncs).  I don't know what your talking about regarding inability to synchronize and no one else is having that problem, if they are Id like to know about it, other wise the whole system wouldn't work at all.  I think you should do a little more in-depth personal analysis and debugging before wasting everyones time here, and insinuating the whole chain has no integrity.  As far as wasting power, I have no idea what you are talking about.  Regarding your question about "Is it possible to....?", Yes anything is possible given enough time and resources.

@Mystic,

I see the problem.  The whole path is not hardcoded in the client.  The client is looking for the computers "Program Files" directory and then looking for "\boinc".  It needs the directory to calculate the md5.  I would not recommend going back to the old client in order to mine, because the correct info has to start going in the chain very soon anyway (md5, project info, avg credits, etc) so this needs to work.  If you are running boinc on a flash drive, obviously gridcoin isn't constructing the path to boinc.  What we can do is add a setting for you so you can set a key in the config to replace the boinc path for your flashdrive.  Ill add that in asap.

Best Regards,

Rob Halford

MysticPixie

@Preston

Awesome! I made a thread right before your post here: https://cryptocointalk.com/topic/1719-bug-grc-client-crashes-with-non-default-boinc-data-folder/

It has some specific information as well as what I was able to dig up from the source. Not sure how useful it will be as looks like we both arrived at the same conclusion. Like I said I posted it a few minutes before you responded. Just trying to be helpful.

For things like this would you prefer they have their own threads for ease of tracking, or keep everything together in a single thread so that everything is in one place?

Once there's a fix I'll rename the post to start with [RESOLVED]. It's awesome how responsive you are to stuff with this. It's amazing to see how the awareness of GRC has picked up over the last few weeks. I just wish more people knew about it. Best currency ever imo. I think anything that gets people to put some power towards solving real problems humanity faces is not just a good thing to do, but a survival imperative.

Progress through technology.

Because dammit, I wanna be immortal.

Rob Halförd - (Gridcoin)

Hi Mystic,

Great on the threads!  Thanks.

We just released v4.73 under prod & beta if you want to test it.

In this version it honors two new keys:

boincappfolder=C:\Program Files\Boinc\
boincdatafolder=C:\ProgramData\Boinc\

Please set them with your personal values if boinc is not located in "Program files" in windows.  Note: please use a trailing backslash as above.  Note: The App folder is where "boinc.exe" is located on your machine.  The Data folder is where client_state is located on your machine. 

In this version, the colors and style sheets have been updated.  I know people will be asking if we can replace all of the remaining white areas with black.  As you can see, most of the theme related bugs are fixed.  However the remaining white areas come from the current windows theme.  In order to fix that, we will eventually have to have our cross-os programmer add in windows API calls and Linux api calls; so this current version is what we have to live with until that feature request can make it to the top of the food chain :)

Have a good one,

Rob Halford