18,957 posts in this topic

Ok, I missed that.

Sorry, I have another question... which I could not find an answer in the wiki: Is there a limit on how many blocks can be earned per day? And if that is the case, wouldn't it be possible to bypass that by creating new BOINC accounts (different CPIDs) and distributing computing power to these separate accounts and wallets? 

Each CPID can be paid up the max block value (currently 500) per day.  Even if across QT nodes.

You can have multiple CPIDs if you want, but youll be splitting your resources, and each cpid must have a mininmum of 100 rac to qualify.  

So the only time that is beneficial is if you are well over 500 mag like Acey is.

Rob

To clarify if your mag is 500, and you have 5 QT Nodes: The sum of all the blocks across your 5 nodes will not be greater than 500 per day.

If you had 2 cpids, you would have 250 payments one cpid and 250 in payments on another.

vladare likes this

Guess what....

I have nothing to update except that both linux node running headless are in sync with no problems, coming close to 24 hours now. Backupwallets have been created on both nodes. My win 8.1 pro... same story.

Move along now. Nothing to see.

:ph34r:

Thats great!  Well hopefully the newest advisory checkpoint rule kept it from lagging and/or rebooting. Now if we can confirm our win nodes are not rebooting any longer......

I see an all time PoR diff right now:  6.118, so we must be gathering on the same chain.

TyphooN likes this

Number 1 will be difficult, those SETI guys are gonna be hard to beat. But i am sure once they see how much coins everyone else us pulling they might switch to our team!

There is no limit on how many blocks can be earned per day as far as I know.  Honestly, I feel that if you are already at the max block payment and you can push enough resources to BOINC projects to reap the reward then by all means do so.  I am not currently doing this because I am switching up my BOINC projects since we are moving away from classic, and I am not really sure what my magnitude will be once the RAC from projects I'm no longer contributing to are no longer counted as valid projects.  Once that happens, I might create a new CPID if I am still over the max magnitude.  The amount of processing power to accomplish this right now is much lower than if we had 1000-2000+ researchers.  I'm pretty sure that when we get some serious BOINC competition, those min/maxing multiple CPIDs might have to go back to a single CPID.. especially later on in the reward schedule.  At a minimum, you will have to run at least 2 operating systems, 2 CPIDs, and 2 wallets.  This could be accomplished in a virtual machine if you really wanted to, or multiple physical machines.  Either way, I do not think we need a way to stop this from happening.  More BOINC competition is good, and I'd like us to continue having record breaking days for team gridcoin :).  Maybe one day we can claim the throne as #1 BOINC team!

As far as I can say there were no reboots in this version, (or the one before)

Because they got up so much for the network and for me.

Gridcoin is cool! It helps Humanity, too!

Warning: politically interested person. 

The "owed" is kind of a misleading label when thinking in terms of the research savings account.  It is capped at the reward max which is 500 right now.  You are paid half of the "owed" amount until it is less than 10% of the max.  If your research savings account is higher than the max then owed will remain at the max until the research savings account is less than the max at which point "owed" and your research savings account will be the same number.  Think of it like an transaction limit on your savings account.  You can withdraw half of your transaction limit at a time, but there is a minimum withdraw amount as well.  So your transaction limit is the lower of the cap (currently 500) or your savings account balance.  Rob said he is working on adding a line to the magnitude report that will show the research savings account total a few posts back. I look forward to seeing it incorporated and think that will help clear up some confusion around the calculations. Maybe while he is in there, owed can be re-labeled too?  Something that would be associated with a payment window or withdraw limit might make it more clear on first glance.  

Yeah, thats cool, Ill  change Owed to "Daily Projection", and add Next Payment Amount and Total Owed (Total Owed is the 14 day projection).

Ill also relabel the heading to Research Savings Account.

Rob

entry.push_back(Pair("Payments",structMag.payments));
entry.push_back(Pair("Total Owed",structMag.totalowed));
entry.push_back(Pair("Daily Projection",structMag.owed));
entry.push_back(Pair("Next Payment",structMag.owed/2));

Im also adding listitem rsa, as a shortcut to the RSA report.
RTMoney and anon3rd like this

Thanks for fast fix, now I have (not sure if it's ok):

"Grand-Total Count Of Network Projects With RAC" : 33.00000000,

"Grand-Total Whitelisted Projects" : "61",

Shouldn't they be 33 and 77?

More feedback, hoping it could help you:

• listitem projects gives me 58 manually counted ltems, that are different from 61 whitelisted in explainmagnitude
  • reboot after upgrade gives me an out of sync + restart (reorg failed)
  • "Project-User Magnitude" and "Grand-Total Magnitude" are always the same number? Do we need them both in explainmagnitude" output?

Other strange things I've seen before upgrade:

• testing explainmagnitude numbers (which changed everytime), I tried a resetcpids that freezed gridcoinresearch several secs, than I had a failed reorg too
  • during this freeze I saw timeout errors in debug.log both on chain and getting values from netsoft. Longer tcp timeout could fix them both? :?

About my grandtotal magnitude, now is different and higher. Seems more stable now.

Leisure wish: How about adding a the magnitude formula with grandtotal numbers inside, at the end of explainmagnitude report, to show how and with which actual numbers results are obtained? :)

Thanks for all of your effort.

1) I see the reason for the discrepancy in the project count:  We had 3 projects duplicated in the whitelist.  Fixed.

2) Actually project-user magnitude changes per project assessed, but its useless  because its a running total.  Removed.

3) Instead of adding math formulas inside the explainmagnitude report, why dont we just remove all the unecessary projects that a user is not participating in since they dont affect the total (the total is affected by the static number we list at the bottom - whitelisted projects and projects with RAC) so its useless to print a row for everyone the user is not participating in.  Ill wipe those out and it will slim it down.

4) The resetcpids is called very rarely and we do it in the background normally so it should not hose up the tcp connection.   I think the reorganize was a coincidence.

Try the new version in 2 hours and see if we fixed it.

Rob

RTMoney and TheDrake like this

What do you guys think about the cryptoblox explorer for research?  

As you know  http://cryptoblox.com/chain/Gridcoin  is our current BX for classic.

Do we prefer leaving it this way for a few months, or asking Crypto to switch it over to Research, or asking for a quote for two explorers?  It almost sounds like a waste to pay for a second as classic retires in March.

Preferences?

Ill ask Crypto for a quote now anyway just to see.

Rob

1) I see the reason for the discrepancy in the project count:  We had 3 projects duplicated in the whitelist.  Fixed.

About whitelist, wondering why "quake-catcher network sensor monitoring" is present and not "Quake-Catcher Network" as BAM and http://qcn.stanford.edu/sensor/ refer to. Please, could you fix it? :)

I really appreciate your effort making gridcoin better.

Edit: Sorry wrong spelled name, now is ok: "Quake-Catcher Network"

Edited by TheDrake

As you know  http://cryptoblox.com/chain/Gridcoin  is our current BX for classic.

Do we prefer leaving it this way for a few months, or asking Crypto to switch it over to Research, or asking for a quote for two explorers?  It almost sounds like a waste to pay for a second as classic retires in March.

Preferences?

Rob

The only benefit I see to keeping the classic chain explorer is to make it easy to monitor the burn process and keep an eye on retirement transactions.  We are 62% through burning and after the exchanges switch I am willing to bet we will get another large batch of burn transactions.  After a few days the transactions should barely trickle in for the next 5ish months and most of the people interested in keeping an eye on things after that know how to use the wallet to get the information they need.  If there is an extra charge for them to keep both chains I vote we drop classic.

I know have been buggering you about this before. If you install this extension plugin: http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:UploadWizard I can add it to our current table :) .

Hey Seppel-

I had some issues installing the upload extension - I dont think we are allowed to have ImageMagik right now so we will have to wait for the mediawiki wysiwig plugin.  But I found a way around our problem that might be acceptable.

I enabled HTML editing and image links, so now you can paste the source into a page as long as it is surrounded by <HTML></HTML> tags and it should work.

See this example:

http://wiki.gridcoin.us/Test2

Note, you will probably have to fix the image links to make them full absolute paths (notice the one of the macosx face that I fixed manually halfway down the page on the right) - then they work.

Good luck--

Rob

Gridcoin Research 3.1.8.2/7.4

Leisure Upgrade

- Changed Listitem to 'list' (IE list cpids, list magnitude, list rsa)

- Converted 25% of GRC to the new CPID algo

- Added fields to rsa report: list rsa

- Removed duplicate projects in explain magnitude and cleaned explain magnitude dramatically and added narrative with math for final mag explanation

Gridcoin Research 3.1.8.2/7.4
Leisure Upgrade

- Changed Listitem to 'list' (IE list cpids, list magnitude, list rsa)
- Converted 25% of GRC to the new CPID algo
- Added fields to rsa report: list rsa
- Removed duplicate projects in explain magnitude and cleaned explain magnitude dramatically and added narrative with math for final mag explanation

My gridcoin.coleman-it.com node went out of sync earlier today and this evening I rebuilt the block chain from scratch. Just a bit after I finished you dropped this new version.

I've updated my gridcoin.coleman-it.com node to this version (v3.1.8.2) but have left my remaining machines to 3.1.8.1. So I will see in the morning if the rest have auto updated this new version.

(Also updated http://wiki.gridcoin.us/Release_Info )

Edited by capcom
anon3rd likes this

Preferences?

Rob

Personally I hardly ever use the thing and agree that having two explorers is a waste. The issue of leaving it as is for a bit to help in cleaning up the last of classic may be a good idea though.

I would like to point out that someone is pointing a lot of GPU/ASIC power at classic since the new launch. I was making approximately 1500 classic a day over there, but then the difficulty shot way up and I can GPU mine for days now and not get a single block. I suspect someone is making a run to collect and control the rest of classic on the GPU/ASIC side.

Also, there is no plan at present to split my CPID apart so that I can make a few more coins. My focus is on Boinc and helping you guys, and having one CPID makes that a lot easier.  

My gridcoin.coleman-it.com node went out of sync earlier today and this evening I rebuilt the block chain from scratch. Just a bit after I finished you dropped this new version.

I've updated my gridcoin.coleman-it.com node to this version (v3.1.8.2) but have left my remaining machines to 3.1.8.1. So I will see in the morning if the rest have auto updated this new version.

Ahh the bliss of using only an email. Hell, I'm always in sync, so a question please:

No offense here, but I've stood by and watched what appears to me, as a lot of syncing confusion with people running their own nodes. Again no offense, but I fail to understand how this is helping. The point is, I'm always in sync and have seen as many as 62 current connections using only my email addy. I am obviously connecting to someone and I don't think its to 62 nodes. Look I'm no Genius at this sort of thing, but is it possible we are going about this in the wrong way?

I suggest we all try using just our Boinc emails for a bit and see what happens. It can't hurt I can assure you, based upon what I am doing. If we are connecting to each other, then we are all in real-time correct?  And communicating to Gridcoin central through this fully synchronous and decentralized way meets our goals. Correct? Again no offense, but exactly why are we establishing nodes that continuously fall out of sync and/or perpetuating these lost chains? I think we can all agree that we need to be on one chain, so to me using a simple email and connecting to each other in real-time does just that. Isn't connecting to each other in real-time decentralized?

Once more no offense here, but these nodes are not certified to any common standard are they? Who are these people? Are they really here to help? What equipment are they using? Are they secure? It seems to me that if we must have nodes, they should be very secure, or how will Gridcoin ever be worth anything? After all, we are dealing with money here right? Do you think any reputable financial institution in the world would have nodes setup by just anyone in their system? I think not. I think we should move to a more professional, accountable, and verifiable way of networking. If we want to grow and succeed at this, we should keep an eye on what world-class organizations are doing well and emulate that.

Ahh the bliss of using only an email. Hell, I'm always in sync, so a question please:

No offense here, but I've stood by and watched what appears to me, as a lot of syncing confusion with people running their own nodes. Again no offense, but I fail to understand how this is helping. The point is, I'm always in sync and have seen as many as 62 current connections using only my email addy. I am obviously connecting to someone and I don't think its to 62 nodes. Look I'm no Genius at this sort of thing, but is it possible we are going about this in the wrong way?

I suggest we all try using just our Boinc emails for a bit and see what happens. It can't hurt I can assure you, based upon what I am doing. If we are connecting to each other, then we are all in real-time correct?  And communicating to Gridcoin central through this fully synchronous and decentralized way meets our goals. Correct? Again no offense, but exactly why are we establishing nodes that continuously fall out of sync and/or perpetuating these lost chains? I think we can all agree that we need to be on one chain, so to me using a simple email and connecting to each other in real-time does just that. Isn't connecting to each other in real-time decentralized?

Once more no offense here, but these nodes are not certified to any common standard are they? Who are these people? Are they really here to help? What equipment are they using? Are they secure? It seems to me that if we must have nodes, they should be very secure, or how will Gridcoin ever be worth anything? After all, we are dealing with money here right? Do you think any reputable financial institution in the world would have nodes setup by just anyone in their system? I think not. I think we should move to a more professional, accountable, and verifiable way of networking. If we want to grow and succeed at this, we should keep an eye on what world-class organizations are doing well and emulate that.

Acey, everyone that runs a client is a node... you included :) If you are seeing 62 connections, you are connected to 62 peers, which also means you're running a "full" node. Do listitem getpeerinfo and you will see. Most people do not run "full" nodes as the incoming port is usually blocked by the firewall, either on the OS or on the Router. If your router uses UPNP, then you will automatically be allowing incoming connections.

Difference between a "full" node that accepts incoming connection and a "normal" node that only does outgoing connection, is that by having incoming, you are helping new clients who joins the network by allowing them to download the blockchain from your node (client).

Edit: For those of you with a low rams and slower system, you might wish to add listen=0 to your config to NOT allow incoming connections. That's only if your router is not blocking ports.

Edited by sEpuLchEr
Vortac likes this

Gridcoin - Paving the Way Towards a Better Tomorrow

GRC: SJgRQKZp19AG49bPwmoJyWQCHpd6CfTzKg || BTC: 13pTr3qXWDvycRLBPgt3bJzJst4ju46CGS