19,953 posts in this topic

Hi Tweaq,

Cool, good to hear, welcome aboard!

Yes, the difficulty changes every 30 mins, so for one, youll see that change quite a bit, also, you can type "getmininginfo" in the RPC console of gridcoin to see the current Mh/s and difficulty. If your cg miner shows 0 hardware errors, and you see a new block detected around every 2.5 mins, its probably working.  In order to tell you either have to wait to see an accepted block (next to the "A: ") or, you can poll the debug log in the users~gridcoin folder to see whats going on.  Its easier to just wait a few hours and see if you find any blocks.  The only time you wont get paid for a block is if your wallet is orphaned off the network.  I have three miners, and one of my machines gets orphaned off the network about every 12 hours.  There is a new feature in gridcoin where you can set the key:

restartwallet=240  for example (in minutes), in the config file, and it will auto-restart.  Ironically, I haven't been able to get around to using the feature myself yet since I'm slammed.

Rob Halford

Yes it is good to have a solid foundation for the Coin. The harder it is to tamper with, the more confidence it gives to the community. So these security measures are first priority the way I see it.

Hi Mirrax,

The issue came up on the Curecoin board, mentioning that a hacker could make a fraudulent version and get the 150grc without earning it by (not) running boinc.  For historical purposes, our first version of the client checked the threads & utilization but did not store that info in the block.  We expanded the block spec and started storing the boinc md5 and other stuff In the block (a couple weeks into the coins life), and that keeps most people happy.

The issue that still exists is if a hacker compiles a fraudulent copy, what is stopping them from stealing someone elses valid boinc hash & replicating it?  I realize its absurd to actually do, but I have to keep the hardened cryptoscientists happy, so this next step will be necessary to keep the integrity of the coin for a long time, then we can build some of the cooler things into it.

Rob

Looks very nice! good work!

Here is a picture of the newest Gridcoin Mining Module with Restart Wallet, Restart Miner, integrated GuiMiner and the new 2nd PoW check for boinc (IE the security feature promised to make it equally hard to falsify the boinc block as to run boinc in the first place):

It's almost ready, Aysyr and I are still testing this to make sure its solid before we release it.  The current beta has most of these features in it.

Posted Image

By the way, if anyone is wondering how CheckWork will respond with the validity of the Boinc PoW hash forwarded to other nodes, the check work checks to see if the signed block contains the credits, utilization, nonce, unix time from the GVM are not only a cryptographic hash of the block, but the hash answer must contain the strings in the hex-hashed-answer also containing the equivalent boinc credits, utilization and boinc threads (another words, to falsify this, you would have to hash a new block every time a block is found with the stated utilization+threads+credits in the answer) which may take 1 minute of processor time to find that answer (and it is only valid for one block), -- the argument becomes why not run Boinc instead 

Rob H.

Hi Zerauth,

Yeah I was just chatting to Aysyr and we were talking about potential ideas to expand; we were thinking maybe having two pools in the pool mining system, one for the gpu miners and one for the cpu-boinc non-miners, and keeping the stable 150grc reward in place with the current ecosystem for Pool1, and Pool2 would be a separate 150grc divided among the cpu-non-gpu-boinc-miners, and the PoW would actually come from Berkeleys website (in actual Avg Daily credits) confirmed by other nodes.  That would raise the interest for all the non-miners in the world who want to run boinc and stabilize our network (by having live GRC nodes available for transactions).

Anyway back to the asic conversation.  The Asic devices go out and mine a sha256 hash and send it back, so Id personally like to see when the Asics event horizon approach Moores law, stabilize size-wattage-Gh/S, then it would be more friendly to our group at that point,  and we would have to consider using it in a non disruptive fashion.

It is cool to envision having a little magical device running in your house plugged in and doing the mining function - cool for the group of people who dont want to go inside machines and add video cards-- its worth looking into.

Rob Halford

Hi Kandelawa,

We dont have any boinc projects for gridcoin nor do we support any in the future.  We support projects such as Rosetta@home, World Community Grid, Malaria, official boinc projects.

The efficiency is currently @ 50% - 50 to boinc, 50 to mining.

We are working on improving that by offering a 2nd pool for CPU mining, and I think that is going to work and become very popular!

Rob Halford

For CPU mining, would this be based on the number of cores used?  

Hey Bon4ire, 

You would create official boinc projects on the various official Boinc project web sites using your public GRC address as a username, run boinc against those projects, accumulate boinc credits, and other nodes will check your work using Berkeleys PoW using one of the 70 official seed project nodes (not run by us or affiliated by us, maintained by the boinc network--and we have a method to compile those in the program to keep anyone from running a fraudulent domain API).  Whatever credit delta you have since the last time you were paid you will be awarded up to 150grc a day based on those pool credits.  So, no GPU mining required to be in Pool2.  The second pool can support up to 576 members @ 150grc a day before it starts paying less!  The GPU miners would not be affected.

At this point, I have tested the system with Malaria and Folding@Home, and it looks very promising.  Ill post a screenshot asap.

One other positive benefit is we can add these Pool2 members to Team Gridcoin.  Also, if you are a GPU miner, you can participate in Pool1 & Pool2 concurrently! 

Best Regards,

Rob H.

Here is a screen shot of what the interface would look like to let you maintain your Boinc Project UserIds (stored in the gridcoin.conf file by Project Name):  The GRC wallet address is checked by other nodes to see if you earned the credits:

Posted Image

Hi LennStar,

Public GRC address:  Your first GRC receiving wallet address.

Losing coins:  You can either transfer your coins to the new username, or create a dedicated boinc username for gridcoin.  If you dont want to be part of "Team Gridcoin" you can be anonymous.  Either way you dont lose your boinc credits since they belong to your accounts.

Crashing:  CGMiner 3.1 works for me-- above that, it crashes for me.  Sometimes you need to delete your .bin files and restart it 10-20 times until it rewrites the kernel.  This is a scrypt mining problem, has nothing to do with Gridcoin.

Rob Halford

Hi Kandelawa,

We dont have any boinc projects for gridcoin nor do we support any in the future.  We support projects such as Rosetta@home, World Community Grid, Malaria, official boinc projects.

The efficiency is currently @ 50% - 50 to boinc, 50 to mining.

We are working on improving that by offering a 2nd pool for CPU mining, and I think that is going to work and become very popular!

Rob Halford

I didn't thougt, that it will be like I mentioned, respectively I hoped so ;).

But sometimes I have to ask a little bit more, because english isn't my native language and just from reading the content isn't clear at any time.

stefan