NEWS
  • WELCOME TO CRYPTOCURRENCYTALK!
  • We've upgraded the website with a lot of new features!
  • 3 NEW THEMES! Click on the + Themes button above!
  • Notice about SOCIAL LINKS: UPDATE YOUR SOCIAL LINKS
  • New video section, add your videos: VIDEO SECTION
  • Advertising will be available shortly, hold tight.
  • If you have any issues with the new site, please submit a support ticket: SUPPORT

Hey All,

It's finally Up!  We are ready to launch GridCoin!!!!!!!

Official FINAL Mining Launch Date: 10/16/2013 @ 11:00PM CST (actually right now, if you want to start mining)!

** Please delete your UsersUserNameAppDataRoamingGridcoin Folder if you mined before this timestamp in order to start over with the newest release.

Please close gridcoin, ensure it is not running, and delete your c:program files (x86)Gridcoin directory before re-installing the MSI, to ensure you receive the "prod" version.

The internal port has been changed to 9778 for a smooth go-live. The Mining port is still honored/set within your configuration file. **   You will see the "-prod" flag in the about screen.  Also, you will only see about 60 blocks total.

Good luck everyone.

I just tested the MSI download from a remote machine and it is working.  The source code is updated.  The Zip version is updated.  The gridcoind.exe (headless daemon) is uploaded.

Have a good one.

Grid

damn, i had high hopes for this as i thought BOINC was actually being used for the generation. but its not basically its just tricking you into using BOINC, as no coins are awarded unless you are mining. what a fucking idiotic idea, and it uses the lame scrypt algorithm to boot. i only get 6,000 Khs on scrypt on my laptop so i'm basically left out of this because of the ignorance of this dev team. just to let you know i will be porting ths to sha for those of us without scrypt hardware

How does it trick you? It clearly says you need both cgminer and BOINC. At least this coins rewards those using their CPU to contribute to something useful which is why I like it. Plus without mining, how would the transactions occur and stay secure? Anyways, if you can create a coin that uses all the hashing power to contribute to projects while rewarding coins and executing transactions I'd be happy to mine it, otherwise the coin is unique in its own right, rewards users that contribute to beneficial projects, and no one's forcing you to mine it, so why bash it so harshly?

Trade at  C-CEX, a great up-and-coming exchange!

I look forward to setting this up on one of my computers tonight.  Lol, I kinda miss BOINC'ing.  Lol, I turned on the Folding@home on the computer for another project similar to this one.  Believe their name is Curecoin.  But in the last few weeks/months I haven't heard anything from them.  Not sure if the idea fizzled.  Glad to see yours is good to go.  

Even their forums are fairly dead.  And their links to the pools where they pay you for folding on their team are down almost every time I have tried connecting to them.  

You're right, their forums aren't nearly as active now as they were last time i looked.  I did find this post on google from a couple weeks ago though.

https://cryptocointalk.com/topic/1274-cryptobullion-arrives-at-cryptocointalkcom-curecoin-update/

Back on topic, love the idea behind this coin!  Have a few rigs going at it.   I do have one complaint though, the coin gives no credit based on how fast your CPU is.  core 2 duo, i7, its all the same here, would like to see that change.

I wish you the best with this project, I like the concept and looks like you made some smart moves by getting some input from others , in particular the difficulty retarget so the coin is not raped on and off with large gpu farms.  I also like the fact that you (as stated just above) will not just 'redesign' the project.  I will try to help spread word of this project and while my personal mining resources are limited right now and what little I have I have been mining my own coin with I hope to mine some in the future.

This is a true attempt to combine proof of work for furthering science.  Primecoin says it was designed for this however the real world benefits of finding new Cunningham Chains
is of little benefit to the world.  Primecoin was designed to be a money making project for the developers and others when you look at it's reward model and see how the price has gone up and down on exchanges over time.  

Gridcoin sounds like a great step in the right direction ! 

I also believe having Jimmy host your support forum here was a wise choice.

Mine 6 coins at once including my coin Photon NOW !! 6X your hash power http://ny2.blakecoin.com/

Nice rig voidlord and Welcome.

I wanted to throw out some ideas to potentially value-add to cryptocoin services.

First, I don't want to add anything that will pollute or disturb the blockchain.  I originally thought about having a separate coin, something to the effect of FTPCoin that would give the user the ability to encrypt a file with the recipients public wallet key, and "send" the file to a target FTPCoin user, with a fee of about $.01 cent per K or something, and when that file is received, the recipient client (code would automatically) discover that their private wallet key would be able to decrypt that file, it would be placed in the Inbox folder with a certain naming convention (senders wallet? as a foldername).        That would enable automatic file transfers from coin user - to user.  

I started thinking of all of the large cloud services that are now supposedly putting back doors in their encryption products to make it easier for that data to be concentrated and sent to agencies by law and compromised.  I was thinking, what service exists that would store files offline, securely, for free, but would not introduce a single point of failure.  The issue is, if we want to go with a non-distributed model to send one copy of a file directly from node to node, if that target node is not up at the instant the file is being sent, this option fails (when done outside of the block chain).  That is a big negative, because we want to be able to spool a file out to a target that is offline and let the file appear days later when the target Is online.

On the other hand, if we store the file as blocks in the blockchain, every node will have this file chopped up into pieces, replicated, across the whole network.  I was thinking that's good, but the problem is over time, the block chain gets polluted with massive amounts of data.  So now we need a housecleaning system to clean it up.  Maybe after the user Receives the file, we have all the nodes delete the extra data.  As long as the chain can compact itself, that would be OK.

Then I got to thinking, if these large cloud services are already storing e-mail data in the form of spam (and trying to read the data for targeted ads), what if we leverage the pop3 servers out there, with a certain naming convention to store our files that are in transit, as encrypted blocks?  Then our clients will connect to pop3 mailboxes, find out if any blocks are theirs, and decrypt the data, and present it in the form of files or emails back to the coin client user.  (And also, as Inbox files, to provide that additional service for companies who want to send encrypted files automatically box to box).

What is nice about that idea, is we dont pay for the persistent storage, the cloud services do (that try to snoop on us anyway), and this particular solution allows the offline spooling to the target user.  I like the fact that I can store data in a distributed network of pop3 mailboxes, encrypted, and still receive the spooled data at a later date.  Security is not compromised, because only  the recipient has the private key to her/his wallet.  

One other point, if we do this, we dont necessarily have to make a new coin, because this particular solution does not pollute the block chain with unecessary file data; it allows the creation of the data outside of the chain and the decryption of the data outside of the chain.  In this case, the sender/receiver program will be used to provide wallet addresses, key pairs, an interface to create a message, an interface to receive a message(s) in a list (and files that are attached), and the data is cleaned up as the users delete the data from coin interface, it is also then deleted on the pop3 servers.  

It holds regarding having no single point of failure, if one cloud provider goes away, users can create new pop3 accounts (using a wallet naming convention) with a different provider.  So, I'm not apprehensive (in this last case) about putting this feature in Gridcoin, to promote consolidation and energy savings.

I just wanted to present these ideas, as I'm considering creating a new feature to send/receive encrypted files, and emails as a value - add inside gridcoin.

Grid

You should be able to find several blocks a day. With about 1.2 MH/s I find 0 - 4 blocks per hour depending on luck and current difficulty (since it's always fluctuating) so you should be fine with 300 kh/s for now :)

finally got 5 shares... i guess i should get more if i am running boinc though right or is there some kind of lag based on how much work has been done? in either case i should be getting more than 5?

looks liek boinc had finished 1 task and was in "ready to report" status for that one

You can definitely run BOINC at 100% and still be able to comfortably use your computer (unless your gaming). I have 6-core and a single core machine running BOINC and they're both very usable since BOINC only uses your unused cycles, so utilization may go down some while using but is all automatic and goes back up once your CPU is out of use.

And prophetx, you updated to the newest client right? If you're installing the .msi it should say Gridcoin 2.3 when installing. Remember to close out of Gridcoin, uninstall Gridcoin from Programs and Features, and delete your Program Files (x86)Gridcoin folder before doing the reinstall to clear any old info. Make sure you're NOT deleting the UsersAppDataRoamingGridcoin folder

What's that? It's the sound of my first bonus block being mined to the tune of 106 GRC!

Thanks for the analysis on the power consumption, I didn't mean to imply the project wasn't benefiting BOINC! I really like the BOINC screensaver, for what it's worth...very Star Trek.

Wall Street Crypto - http://www.wallstreetcrypto.com/