Hi Andrew,

I posted on btctalk- feel free if you want to edit the first page; but first lets make sure its upgrading properly and were all syncing on this new chain.

Hi Rob,

I'll edit it as soon as we're sure.

Sorry to say, but I'm still looping...I'm in Europe so east of CST.

A.

@Rob: still updating after mining console pop up. I am from Europe, GMT+1

Yep, sorry to say, still looping.

Nevermind, luckily it's summer here, at sunny Spain (GMT+2), so I'm going out looking for a terrace full of gals :wub:  and a cold beer (or two)  :blink:

Ok, newest version compiled just fine for me, working on syncing up now.

I tried the "execute downloadblocks" command which gave me:

[
    {
        "Command" : "downloadblocks"
    },
    {
        "Download Blocks" : -1
    }
]
[email protected]:~/gridcoin/src#

Also, gridcoind still does not list anything for "CPU Mining Project" or "CPU Mining CPID" when I do "getmininginfo".

Other than that everything appears to be operating normally for now, will report back when fully synced.

Are you both on the East coast and everyone west of CST does not have the problem?

If so Im going to have to shift the UTC time by -2, I think Ill just go all the way to -24 and let people upgrade manually around the world, but as of t+1, auto upgrades will work in the future (IE to allow a global time shift) .

Rob

Hi Rob,

I'm on the West Coast (Pacific Time) and I've actually always had this looping update problem, not just with the most recent builds.

Usually, it would take at least a few hours ( > ~3-5) for the loop to stop.

Hi,

Anyone having trouble with the looping, set the key:

suppressupgrade=true

While we diagnose this over the next year.

I do not see anything wrong with the upgrade code Or the code that reads the key, and the keys work in other places so Im leaning toward your key not being spelled right.

Good luck,

Rob 

Hi,

suppressupgrade=true

While we diagnose this over the next year.

I do not see anything wrong with the upgrade code Or the code that reads the key, and the keys work in other places so Im leaning toward your key not being spelled right.

Good luck,

Rob 

That did the trick!

Damn I tried it before with only one 'p' --> 'supressupgrade=true'

I'm soooooo non-bilingual. Too much beer tonight, see you tomorrow guys  :D 

Woot!

Ok, my client got fully synced, showed the wrong PoB Diff. I stopped gridcoind, deleted the chainstate folder and re-started gridcoind, once gridcoind finished laoding everything works perfectly!

Woot!

Ok, my client got fully synced, showed the wrong PoB Diff. I stopped gridcoind, deleted the chainstate folder and re-started gridcoind, once gridcoind finished laoding everything works perfectly!

Thank God!  Good to hear!

Thinks seem to be getting better.  Upward and onward again.

I was asked about X11 GPU Mining a couple times in the past, before Darkcoin was popular, and whatever people told me vs what I read at the time gave me the false impression that the algo was not as fast as scrypt or possibly had a loophole in the GPU code.

But, I think it deserves revisiting again.  Now that Darkcoin is popular and sgminer has been fixed, and by now I assume if there was an exploit to GPU mine faster than the public version of sgminer it would have been discovered by now.

The big reservation I had was it seemed to be hard to believe that sgminer would run the cards at the same hash rate and consume 50% less power and run cooler.

Well according to this thread, people are experiencing that.

The reason Id like some opinions is we are all about saving energy, so maybe this deserves another look:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=538315.0;all

Thoughts?

Rob

PS Maybe we could consider moving the X11 sgminer into the boinc client, and setting up boinc to stand alone (IE it would be optional to run gridcoin); and either make sg miner work with our existing pool or an x11 compatible pool.  Im not promising anything on moving away from our own custom pool yet, one step at a time (focus more on the algorithm and pros and cons of using X11 for now; as a I have one more monkey wrench to throw at everyone:  Possibly moving to a RAC based pool ; ie payments or shares calculated by submitted RAC changes over time; lets talk about that part as a secondary topic).

Yes please!  X11 or X13 would be great.  I've been running this version;

http://cryptomining-blog.com/2496-new-sgminer-fork-for-x11-mining-with-higher-performance/

and it is much higher hash (from 3M/hs to 5M/hs on my X11 machine) with less energy and a lot cooler card.  I drop from 75C a card to 63C which also saves on the A/C this summer.

Not sure if you have given it a thought - but setting up a multi-pool to help support GRC price may be something to look into as well.  An example is, http://multipoolmining.com/

and that's my .02 GRC on the matter ;)

I was asked about X11 GPU Mining a couple times in the past, before Darkcoin was popular, and whatever people told me vs what I read at the time gave me the false impression that the algo was not as fast as scrypt or possibly had a loophole in the GPU code.

But, I think it deserves revisiting again.  Now that Darkcoin is popular and sgminer has been fixed, and by now I assume if there was an exploit to GPU mine faster than the public version of sgminer it would have been discovered by now.

The big reservation I had was it seemed to be hard to believe that sgminer would run the cards at the same hash rate and consume 50% less power and run cooler.

Well according to this thread, people are experiencing that.

The reason Id like some opinions is we are all about saving energy, so maybe this deserves another look:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=538315.0;all

Thoughts?

Rob

PS Maybe we could consider moving the X11 sgminer into the boinc client, and setting up boinc to stand alone (IE it would be optional to run gridcoin); and either make sg miner work with our existing pool or an x11 compatible pool.  Im not promising anything on moving away from our own custom pool yet, one step at a time (focus more on the algorithm and pros and cons of using X11 for now; as a I have one more monkey wrench to throw at everyone:  Possibly moving to a RAC based pool ; ie payments or shares calculated by submitted RAC changes over time; lets talk about that part as a secondary topic).

suppressupgrade=true

I've added this line to gridcoin.conf V2.1.3.7 deleted everything except gridcoin.conf but the system is still in upgrade loop. Deleted the software package from control panel, reinstalled with msi from website, still in upgrade loop. System reboot also didn't help. I even deleted everything gridcoin related in the registry before reinstalling.

Problem are on Windows XP system, it works on my Windows 7 system!

The file gridcoin.conf is identical to my Windows 7 system. I'm located in Europe.

Edit: After about ~1h and ~15 updates later it seems to be stable (blochchain 14 weeks delay ~70000 blocks and synching) :)

Edit2: After syncinc hangs (2 weeks delay) and Gridcoin restart the update loop is there again :huh:

Donations accepted GRC address: SENDMEhpvUNBmUFXpKGNHwGm5DoDpWbhU7

suppressupgrade=true

Aaahhh, working now, I tried with suppressupdate :wacko: but it's suppressupgrade! Sorry for the confusion! But perhaps it's interesting for debugging that after about 1 hour even without this option and several updates later, the upgrading stopped until a new restart of gridcoin.

Donations accepted GRC address: SENDMEhpvUNBmUFXpKGNHwGm5DoDpWbhU7