Posted (edited)

Hi all,

as I understand gridcoin is relying on the stats files from each project. But because of GDPR the projects lock down their stats files for anonymous access beginning with World Comunity Grid and Einstein. Do we have any answer to this? Is somebody in discussion with the projects to get access for team GRIDCOIN?

https://einsteinathome.org/de/content/upcoming-changes-due-european-general-data-protection-regulation-gdpr

Edited by bibi

4 hours ago, bibi said:

Hi all,

as I understand gridcoin is relying on the stats files from each project. But because of GDPR the projects lock down their stats files for anonymous access beginning with World Comunity Grid and Einstein. Do we have any answer to this? Is somebody in discussion with the projects to get access for team GRIDCOIN?

https://einsteinathome.org/de/content/upcoming-changes-due-european-general-data-protection-regulation-gdpr

https://www.reddit.com/r/gridcoin/comments/8mbolr/wcg_not_rewarding_grc_at_this_time/

Hi guys, regarding the issue we have with the new European privacy rules at WorldCommunityGrid and [email protected], I can tell you that I requested WCG that they offer a tickbox about yes/no to put the crunching stats public or not (for every individual user to choose from) Actually, many bragging banners and special websites like boincstats.com rely on that kind of data, so it should be user's option to "keep it hidden" or no. It's not like only we were to be affected. Most people at WCG and many other projects are badge collectors. So.... all badge data would be non-respective of that new EU-law... and seriously, I guess, a lot of users are going to be angry about that.... not just us here. A lot of users will go.... "no badge? no crunching!". In the meantime, focus on the projects that are "non-EU" or that otherwise will skip this privacy rules... I expect that the big projects with lots of financial ressources might want to comply, but many smaller projects won't really care, especially if non-EU based... if problem persists, we maybe want more whitelisted from other parts of the world. ;) I assume, on the midterm, this will not be a major problem. It's just sad as the big projects of course bring more people, but basically we're here to "crunch for good" and in the end, I gladly will donate my computing power to smaller projects instead if the big ones hassle around. :D crunch on... :P