vor 2 Stunden schrieb Griff's Consortium:

You missed the point of it being used/traded...

No, I didn't miss it. 

But either trading is just to find out the price - and then it does not matter how much is traded as long as there is a little bit going on.

If I sell one tomato to you for one football, or one million tomatoes for one million fottballs, the price is still 1:1, so how does the increased amount increases the worth?

And usage alone does not increase the worth either, the GRC are just trown around more often. Usage can only increase worth because a lot more people have parts of the coins before being able to use them, which increases demand compared to less peoplke haveing parts of the coin supply before being able to use it.

Gridcoin is cool! It helps Humanity, too!

Warning: politically interested person. 

Supply and demand. 

Value is arbitrary and subjective.   Worth is only what you can get for something at the time it's being exchanged. 

A silver dollar is worth $1.00 to the cashier down the street.

A silver dollar is worth $11.00 to a metal dealer due to the silver content and current spot silver price.

A silver dollar is worth $100,000 to a numismatic coin dealer because it's a rare first strike mint error from a low mintage year. 

Same coin in the example above but based on the demand and who is making the trade the market finds different prices.

There is always a buyer and a seller in a trade and the total qty available should be playing a part in determining the price.

If hoarders start to unload, supply increases as demand stays the same or decreases and the price goes down to find more buyers.

If more are hoarding, supply decreases as demand says the same or increases the price goes up to find sellers.

At the end of the day the price is only what someone is willing to pay and the sellers ability to find that buyer regardless of hoarding or trading.

Missed Upgrade Deadline: So I have been out-of-action for a bit, and yesterday upgraded my wallet. Today I see on the forum that I really needed to upgrade before the fork. I am staking atm but what is the likely fallout from me not upgrading before the deadline? 

If you weren't running the wallet during that time, there should be no problems. 

If you were sending or receiving GRC (including mined) with the old version after the fork, those transactions don't exist in the new "real" chain. 

What would happen if I had two versions of my wallet running simultaneously on different machines?

I'm assuming "nothing good", but I'm curious.

vor 1 Minute schrieb dblanch256:

What would happen if I had two versions of my wallet running simultaneously on different machines?

I'm assuming "nothing good", but I'm curious.

One would put blocks on the new chain, one on the old.

And after a single transaction, both would show differences. 

Don'T forget that there is no "correct" chain in the sense of objective truth. The correct chain is those the most people agree on. 

hi all

i have only one error in Diagnostics window:

"Verify CPID is valid - Failed (BOINC CPID does not match CPID)"

my CPID is 02e08427b129719f838e775fc8be22a2

help please

vor 9 Stunden schrieb casper77:

hi all

i have only one error in Diagnostics window:

"Verify CPID is valid - Failed (BOINC CPID does not match CPID)"

my CPID is 02e08427b129719f838e775fc8be22a2

help please

Did you sucessfully mined CPOR blocks 

What does your wallet think your CPID is?

What is your BOINC CPID (from a projects website or your BOINC program)?

Do you have installed BOINc in a different than default program? 

7 часов назад, LennStar сказал:

1.Did you sucessfully mined CPOR blocks 

2.What does your wallet think your CPID is?

3.What is your BOINC CPID (from a projects website or your BOINC program)?

4.Do you have installed BOINc in a different than default program? 

1. i dont know, but i succesfully sent beacon, are you about it ?

2. wallet think my CPID is 02e08427b129719f838e775fc8be22a2, it is my primary and single CPID since 2005

3. the same

4. yes

by the way, i crunch only WCG at now on 20 cores and i succesfully receive regular byteball rewards, but not GRC for some reason, unfortunately

vor 4 Stunden schrieb casper77:

1. i dont know, but i succesfully sent beacon, are you about it ?

2. wallet think my CPID is 02e08427b129719f838e775fc8be22a2, it is my primary and single CPID since 2005

3. the same

4. yes

by the way, i crunch only WCG at now on 20 cores and i succesfully receive regular byteball rewards, but not GRC for some reason, unfortunately

1. No, I meant if you have got a block after your beacon send that included BOINC rewards. It may be that the diagnostics is off because BOINC is in a different directory 😉

Besides that: first make sure you have the BOINC dir in your config. I think that is still needed if you put BOINC on non standard folders. 

like: 

boincdatadir=D:\\ProgramData\\BOINC\\
boincappdir=C:\\Program Files\\BOINC\\

That is what I had on my old omputer. Of course I don't know how you placed your stuff. 

Second try a different project. In the past there were problems with WCG only participants because of WCG doing it differently. 

Create an account for a different project, crunch a WU, and make sure it's the same CPID everywhere. 

If that still not helps, go to slack into troubelshooting, you may need to have the beacon reset or someone else has an idea. 

21.11.2018 в 15:28, LennStar сказал:

1. No, I meant if you have got a block after your beacon send that included BOINC rewards. It may be that the diagnostics is off because BOINC is in a different directory 1f609.png

Besides that: first make sure you have the BOINC dir in your config. I think that is still needed if you put BOINC on non standard folders. 

like: 

boincdatadir=D:\\ProgramData\\BOINC\\
boincappdir=C:\\Program Files\\BOINC\\

That is what I had on my old omputer. Of course I don't know how you placed your stuff. 

Second try a different project. In the past there were problems with WCG only participants because of WCG doing it differently. 

Create an account for a different project, crunch a WU, and make sure it's the same CPID everywhere. 

If that still not helps, go to slack into troubelshooting, you may need to have the beacon reset or someone else has an idea. 

Thank you for your try to help

I solved this by editing client_state.xml

<cross_project_id> was not my CPID, but <external_cpid> was mine

now there are no problems in Diagnostic

maybe i should repeat some commands after it in console ?

Edited by casper77

On 11/15/2018 at 5:32 AM, Griff's Consortium said:

A coin's value increases as it is used/traded.
If it is not used intrinsically, it is valueless. So have to buy and sell it for any hoarder to have value.

if we all keep them locked away in a vault, they would become "badges" like the original [email protected] and [email protected] A badge is a nice, warm feeling and nothing more.

Hoarders are thinking they can one day cash out on millions in actual $dollars. This is making it useless.

If they cash it out, say once a quarter to cover electric cost, it would continue a climb in value.

A coin's value would increase if it's utility would increase, for example I bet on XRP and Universa because these are coins that will act as fuel in money transfers that aim to eventually replace SWIFT and other similar systems, in the case of these 2 coins the result would be what Griff's said, but the trading would happen because the people behind it create the demand by offering a service that someone is willing to pay for.

The truth is GridCoin is a coin i have been into for 4 years but i have to say, we literally miss this side of the coin 100%, there is absolutely no demand for GRC and as such its price will be 0 very soon as there is no incentive here, if BOINC would closely integrate it better and allow project managers to issue bonuses in GRC for people that join their project as an incentive we might create and economy of supply and demand , but as it stands at this point there isn't such thing and as such hoarding or selling would do little , actually at this point in time selling would probably crash the coin since it would send panic sale signals into the market and there would be little room for recovery because of the lack of demand i pointed out earlier.

On 11/23/2018 at 4:44 AM, crhro said:

A coin's value would increase if it's utility would increase, for example I bet on XRP and Universa because these are coins that will act as fuel in money transfers that aim to eventually replace SWIFT and other similar systems, in the case of these 2 coins the result would be what Griff's said, but the trading would happen because the people behind it create the demand by offering a service that someone is willing to pay for.

The truth is GridCoin is a coin i have been into for 4 years but i have to say, we literally miss this side of the coin 100%, there is absolutely no demand for GRC and as such its price will be 0 very soon as there is no incentive here, if BOINC would closely integrate it better and allow project managers to issue bonuses in GRC for people that join their project as an incentive we might create and economy of supply and demand , but as it stands at this point there isn't such thing and as such hoarding or selling would do little , actually at this point in time selling would probably crash the coin since it would send panic sale signals into the market and there would be little room for recovery because of the lack of demand i pointed out earlier.

Acceptability as actual fiat is also a concern for Gridcoin to continue.

It would be nice if somehow, payments could be accepted with GRC. Possibly online payments directly with GRC for things like electric bills. you would think of all the cryptocurrency out there, science based mining would allow this incentive to use it with power and utility bills. 
A petition to the larger whitelisted programs like SETI, WCG, LHC, DHEP, ECT, might push them to ask for electric companies to accept GRC exclusively and directly for payments.

That's a start.

The value would grow as many other coins are no longer minable for profit.

Then others who wish to start turning a profit from mining again will look to GRC and the flood would happen to value.

Here are some post-PrimeGrid stats for Team Gridcoin.  Or, to paraphrase the Air Force's anthem:  "Up, up into the air, Junior Birdmen!"

NOTE:  The vertical scale extends from 0 to 1,884,000,000 credits (almost two trillion).

image.png.97d534f16cea3fafc30d7ad4effa9cac.png