18,957 posts in this topic

Sometimes... I'm wondering if you guys actually know what POS is.... I wanted to write something about it... but.....

Anyway, I did a quick google and found this so at least the words are not from me.

Read (or not).

https://archsupport.freshdesk.com/support/discussions/topics/5000008151

PS. dc7d, I didn't really read all you post, but if you're moving coins with coin control, you lose coinage, thus...... less interest. Go figure.

I'm afraid we have a lot of users new to crypto or, at least new to PoS. Sorry to say this but I've been reading complaints since we got PoS. I don't get all this "paranoia" about stake and interests and my wallet is taking ages to stake for the first time

I suggest you guys try Mintcoin, a very cheap PoS coin with a high reward: You'll have to wait 20 days to be eligible to stake for the first time. Yes, I said 20 DAYS, not hours; 20 days with your coins maturing and getting nothing in your wallet. Not to mention PPC: A whole month for the coins to mature and then a mere 1% a YEAR.

SeP already suggested to Google for PoS...

EDIT: This is something I wanted to point out for some time, not personally directed to any user, specially LennStar or dc7d, I know they have been here for a long time and I guess they're trying to help with their concerns

EDIT: You may also try the recently launched Neucoin for free. Do not use the online wallet, but install the wallet and put the giveaway coins there; it's pretty funny to see how loooong can it take to stake for the first time

Edited by TheLostBoy

http://explorer.gridcoin.asia/

Open source block explorer (https://github.com/iquidus/explorer) that I've been testing with. It's a resource hog......... It's also the same bx that cryptoblox used for us before they stopped following our mandatory.

Note that the Top 100 address or rather any address balance is not accurate as the bx does not track coin movement to change addresses... etc, therefore, address labeling (foundation addresses, exchange.. etc) is not effective at all, unless every single address is labelled and new labels added when a change address is used.

Work can probably be done to make the bx track movements but that person is not me. I'm clueless. :P

Edit: I've disabled the Top 100 (richlist) for now as it's really misleading since it's not functional.

Edited by sEpuLchEr

Gridcoin - Paving the Way Towards a Better Tomorrow

GRC: SJgRQKZp19AG49bPwmoJyWQCHpd6CfTzKg || BTC: 13pTr3qXWDvycRLBPgt3bJzJst4ju46CGS

Open source block explorer (https://github.com/iquidus/explorer) that I've been testing with. It's a resource hog......... It's also the same bx that cryptoblox used for us before they stopped following our mandatory.

Note that the Top 100 address or rather any address balance is not accurate as the bx does not track coin movement to change addresses... etc, therefore, address labeling (foundation addresses, exchange.. etc) is not effective at all, unless every single address is labelled and new labels added when a change address is used.

Work can probably be done to make the bx track movements but that person is not me. I'm clueless. :P

Edit: I've disabled the Top 100 (richlist) for now as it's really misleading since it's not functional.

This is awesome 

to have an additional BX online as some of the exchanges sometimes want to do advanced lookups for transactions, and it takes the load off of requesting RTM to make some of these functions and I think it fills a void!

Rob

RTMoney and Derpathon like this

Back in the day (3 years ago lol) when running ppc or novacoin the splitting dc7d mentioned was notable and would lead to many more frequent small blocks.  Most users would eventually consolidate/transfer to reduce wallet bloat from many transactions and orphans.   I'm am not sure what or if blackoin made any changes in this regard (probably not).  He may have a point if we have a hard limit of 960 blocks per day (rather than a block target time), it may be a bottleneck for minting and probably should be investigated.

Lenn not sure, you would have to not stake for most of the year to get a 500-1000grc block on a 110K balance since you should be staking about 4.5grc per day interest..

dc7d likes this

Back in the day (3 years ago lol) when running ppc or novacoin the splitting dc7d mentioned was notable and would lead to many more frequent small blocks.  Most users would eventually consolidate/transfer to reduce wallet bloat from many transactions and orphans.   I'm am not sure what or if blackoin made any changes in this regard (probably not).  He may have a point if we have a hard limit of 960 blocks per day (rather than a block target time), it may be a bottleneck for minting and probably should be investigated.

Lenn not sure, you would have to not stake for most of the year to get a 500-1000grc block on a 110K balance since you should be staking about 4.5grc per day interest..

Blackcoin recently switched to a static POS reward mechanism with their POSv3 update recently - meaning that instead of the pos rewards being based on the stakable coins, it is based on how many blocks per year you're able to stake multiplied by the fixed static reward, which comes out to be the same percentage inflation rate but with the added benefit of encouraging 24/7 staking.

https://www.reddit.com/r/blackcoin/comments/3cfvaa/static_pos_reward_is_coming/

drehb likes this

Rob,

Ive set up an investor wallet with some addresses AFTER RA. One address has 100k balance. Once it stakes, the balance gets split into 50k and 50k by the new "CoinStake splitstake" feature, correct? Now you say "Select Coins for Staking will pull that in as One transaction." How is it possible that after a few stakes only 25k GRC are used for staking - which is the case. Forgive me for my stupidity :)

Quez

dc7d likes this

I ask for help
I have a problem that I can not solve,
in an attempt of v3.5.4.5.6 on v3.5.4.8 update it I thought an error message:

picture_1
http://lll.net/image/4niXU
Then I tried a simple reboot and received a second message:

picture_2

http://lll.net/image/4nHIV
I then tried by a manually generated restore point (151204_GRC_QT_v3.5.4.5 g Research-314) to restart - picture_2
Have uninstalled and reinstalled Gridcoinresearch from the webside by MSI - picture_2
again the Restore Points used
The last attempt, the entire file system from C: \ Program Files (x86) \ Gridcoinresearch from my 2nd machine (where the upgrading of 5.6 to 5.8) went smoothly copyed) did not help - picture_2
again the Restore Points used (151204_GRC_QT_v3.5.4.5 g Research-314)
I get error message: picture_2 every time
On the 2nd machine (where I had installed nodes for the testnet set) runs v3.5.4.8 fine.

dreibo

I ask for help

picture_1

picture_2

I then tried by a manually generated restore point (151204_GRC_QT_v3.5.4.5 g Research-314) to restart - picture_2

Have uninstalled and reinstalled Gridcoinresearch from the webside by MSI - picture_2

The last attempt, the entire file system from C: \ Program Files (x86) \ Gridcoinresearch from my 2nd machine (where the upgrading of 5.6 to 5.8) went smoothly copyed) did not help - picture_2

On the 2nd machine (where I had installed nodes for the testnet set) runs v3.5.4.8 fine.

dreibo

d41* is the hash of an empty hash.  (I recognize it).  This means the downloaded file did not actually download.  I believe the biggest problem is a timeout.  We did add a 5 minute timeout for each file.  Do you have a really slow connection or is that not a possible problem?  If so, let me know what happens if you try to do the 'grcrestarter upgrade' 5 times in a row - see if you get a deterministic error and how long does it take to throw the error?

Rob,

Ive set up an investor wallet with some addresses AFTER RA. One address has 100k balance. Once it stakes, the balance gets split into 50k and 50k by the new "CoinStake splitstake" feature, correct? Now you say "Select Coins for Staking will pull that in as One transaction." How is it possible that after a few stakes only 25k GRC are used for staking - which is the case. Forgive me for my stupidity :)

Quez

Let me do a live forced stake test on my dev machine...  

Ill get back to you within 12 hours.

Rob

Quez likes this

Rob,

Quez

Ok, you are right, sorry about the confusion everyone.

The splitstake feature is causing all of the primary inputs required by our stakeminer to be 1/2, resulting in smaller and smaller interest rewards over time as the wallet grows.

This will be fixed this afternoon.  It will be a Leisure upgrade, as I have verified our block signature checker will be backwards compatible as long as the total amount of the stake still matches the original spent coins, so this is possible to implement the fix today without a mandatory.

All users, you will just have to send all your coins back to your own primary receiving address once.  (Then go into coin control and verify that the list is almost empty - optionally).  Please wait do not do this until the upgrade is ready.

(IE go to Send Coins, copy your receive address, send all your coins back to yourself).  Note: If you have a high balance you may have to do this in a few iterations as the wallet won't allow transactions bigger than 1000 outputs Or 999Kb in size.  (Send yourself 1/2, then 1/2 again, then the rest etc).

Rob

A L I E N, Quez and TheDrake like this

I ask for help

picture_1

picture_2

dreibo

d41* is the hash of an empty hash.  (I recognize it).  This means the downloaded file did not actually download.  I believe the biggest problem is a timeout.  We did add a 5 minute timeout for each file.  Do you have a really slow connection or is that not a possible problem?  If so, let me know what happens if you try to do the 'grcrestarter upgrade' 5 times in a row - see if you get a deterministic error and how long does it take to throw the error?

Ok this is a possible explanation for the first error - I was long time not on the machine, and any firewall controllfunction of Mcafee then asked me in return for permission to download (meanwhile the upgrade stopped).

Now I'm executed the commands "grcrestarter upgrade" directly at the prompt in the directory C:\ Program Files (x86)\gridcoinresearch  5 times.

The time it take to throw the same error (picture_2) were 48,14,14,14,14 seconds.

Now I remember there was a message box with "Windows Installer 14.7" for 10-20! seconds active and after that then the Error-2 (pictiure_2) always came back.

dreibo