BeemerBiker

Is a reboot OK while stakeing?

BeemerBiker

My windows system wants to reboot for upgrades and I see that my wallet is 4.0.1,.0-unk but there is a 4.0.2.0 available.

Should I wait till stake shows 0.0 before any updates (windows or otherwise) ?

TIA.

jamescowens

No. You can upgrade at any time. Just make sure you shut the wallet down correctly first BEFORE you allow Windows to upgrade, or upgrade the wallet.

• Like 2

Jimmy

You'll be fine no matter when it reboots.  I've never had a problem. 

jamescowens
Posted (edited)

Jimmy, actually there is an update in 4.0.2.0 that specifically address issues that people have been having with Windows 10 and the frequent updates and blockchain/wallet production. We have been seeing sporadic reports of blockchain/wallet corruption during Windows 10 updates, because the operating system does not wait long enough for executables to shut down. To address this issue, I backported a bitcoin change which registers the wallet with Windows allowing the wallet to stop the logout/shutdown until the wallet is finished and shuts down safely.

This PR is to improve wallet shutdown behavior on Windows This is a port of Bitcoin bitcoin/bitcoin#4043 and bitcoin/bitcoin#13131 to block Windows shutdown until the wallet is successfully shutdow...

Edited by jamescowens (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Jimmy

Sorry didn't see that this was in the Gridcoin forum.  I was responding as if asking generally.  Thanks for clearing things up!

jamescowens
Posted (edited)

No problem... We are actually catching up to Bitcoin on this one. My guess is that a number of other alt-coins still need to do it, so it is hit or miss... 🙂 The real problem is Microsoft quite frankly.

Edited by jamescowens (see edit history)
  • Like 1