C.M

[Community Input Needed] Gridcoin website redesign!

449 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

I've almost finished redesigning the gridcoin website, and I need input/opinions on the site.

Plans:

Version 1:

Bugs:
1. Alignment of text throughout site.

Design changes:
1. Look into changing the background colour of the sub-header & how the change will affect the other pages (hero-tab might look bad).

Content to create:
1. Need linux&mac guides for cpu/scrypt mining and installation of boinc.

Changes: (13/07/14)
1. IRC now points to kiwi irc chat. Now users don't need to install mirc to access the channel.
2. Updated the spacing of the sections on the front page.
3. Fixed the height glitch on the BOINC success stories section.
4. Added in social media links that should appear on the left (maybe in a day or two).
5. Created thorough linux compiling guides for gridcoin, gridcoin-qt and more! 
6. The reddit tip bot is up and running in beta phase - expect issues, but give it a bash! www.reddit.com/r/gridcointipbot for more info.
7. Fixed swisscex's logo - now showing the authentic logo they provided 

What's next with the website?
1. Reddit tip bot's wiki for new users.
2. Reddit /r/gridcoin wiki
3. Media section for gridcoin (where we've been mentioned (articles), and videos that users have created).
4. Events section.
Version 2 Plans:
ARIA support (Blind support)
Translation support (french first, then others - anyone able to help with translation?).
Making the site MVC/Angularjs/CMS'd.
Integrating boinc stats into the site - directly interacting with API's instead of scraping existing boinc stat sites.
Integrate reddit tip bot stats onto site.

Things I want to implement:

1. An events page - boinc competitions to create a great gridcoin community & boinc presence.

2. Gridcoin foundation.

Things I need people to do:

Be extremely picky; pick apart the website and give any and all input on what you think could be improved.

Provide any relevant content for the site.

Any kind of graphic/image improvents on the site - especially the background for the contact page.

Someone needs to help me compile a gridcoin/boinc/cryptocurrency terminology guide.

If you want to see my nightly changes, check out: http://derpderp.azurewebsites.net/ (Currently not developing v2, creating content for v1).

anon3rd and rrizzotto like this

^ Smash that upvote button! ;D

Follow me on:

Github

Twitter

Steemit

SoundCloud (Hangouts)

The header and the overall impression deems much more professional.

Rob certainly is brilliant in his department, but design needs to convey the right emotions,

which needs quite some time to find - good you are here.

plain colors seem sketchy in most cases, those subtle textures make all the difference for me.

Besides, I like the twitter integration.

For the rest, I need to dive into, overwhelming!

community dev section, yes, keep that - foundation can delegate much stuff later!

Looking good.  There is just a ton of info, which can be overwhelming but better that its all there for people to look through.

One thing I can think of right away is that there should be a link at the top called "downloads"  with the files instead of at the bottom of the home page.

What is Gridcoin?

GridCoin is a new peer-to-peer internet based cryptocurrency that aims to benefit humanity by participating in BOINC projects that may lead to advances in medicine, biology, mathematics, science, climatology, and astrophysics.

I would change the word "new" to "revolutionary" in the above line.

Looking good.  There is just a ton of info, which can be overwhelming but better that its all there for people to look through.

One thing I can think of right away is that there should be a link at the top called "downloads"  with the files instead of at the bottom of the home page.

I would change the word "new" to "revolutionary" in the above line.

Yeah, all of the phrases have 'maybe' in it, a more deliberate version might be:

GridCoin is a revolutionary peer-to-peer cryptocurrency that benefits humanity by rewarding work on BOINC projects that strive for advances in astrophysics, medicine, biology, climatology and other research.

i navigated the sub-pages: UI has a lot of fun to discover, also good at UX, especially considering large image-buttons.

on community page: bottom lines are cut off

menu overlay: no way to hide it

stats: pull dynamic info from boincstats

guides section: so awesome, so so much awe all over the place, this reference will be gold to all users!

(items above are should-haves)

i navigated the sub-pages: UI has a lot of fun to discover, also good at UX, especially considering large image-buttons.

on community page: bottom lines are cut off

menu overlay: no way to hide it

stats: pull dynamic info from boincstats

guides section: so awesome, so so much awe all over the place, this reference will be gold to all users!

(items above are should-haves)

Oh.. hadn't noticed that about the menu overlay - i'll try to look into this.

Cheers for the input :)

Follow me on:

Github

Twitter

Steemit

SoundCloud (Hangouts)

Hey guys,

I've almost finished redesigning the gridcoin website, and I need input/opinions on the site.

The things I need to improve:

1. The tools section - only 1 tool (the block explorer) exists..

2. The stats page - If anyone can find better stat images, or even can figure out how to scrape the same kind of information from boinc so we could put the data in tables, that'd be great.

3. The guides - not all of the guides are complete, and many need a lot of polish. If you see anything that needs fixed, or if you have any input - please post in here!

4. The community developers section - is this something people want?

5. The gridcoin downloads actually need to link to downloads; this is something that will be very last minute.

Things I want to implement:

1. An events page - boinc competitions to create a great gridcoin community & boinc presence.

2. A donations page - for donating grc to boinc projects, towards gridcoin projects, towards scientists (crowdsourcing funding).

3. Gridcoin foundation.

Bug I need to fix:

min-height=100% css trick needs implemented on a couple pages to push the footer to the bottom of the page.

Things I need people to do:

Be extremely picky; pick apart the website and give any and all input on what you think could be improved.

Provide any relevant content for the site.

Any kind of graphic/image improvents on the site - especially the background for the contact page.

Someone needs to help me compile a gridcoin/boinc/cryptocurrency terminology guide.

Here's the link (Ignore the url lol):

http://derpderp.azurewebsites.net/

Can we have a temp index.html at Gridcoinnetwork.org please? It's been days now and we are advertising GoDaddy.

OMPld6Q.jpg

Can we have a temp index.html at Gridcoinnetwork.org please? It's been days now and we are advertising GoDaddy.

OMPld6Q.jpg

gridcoinnetwork has been taken down, it's no longer an official gridcoin website.

With regards to the redesign - I've started to re-categorize the guides section and will work on creating new and updated guides.

Any input is welcome :)

Follow me on:

Github

Twitter

Steemit

SoundCloud (Hangouts)

gridcoinnetwork has been taken down, it's no longer an official gridcoin website.

With regards to the redesign - I've started to re-categorize the guides section and will work on creating new and updated guides.

would aysir provide his domain for a HTTP response status code 301 Moved Permanently to point to gridcoin.us ?

Alright, i've published the latest version of the gridcoin beta site.

I'm currently focusing on updating the guide section http://derpderp.azurewebsites.net/guides.htm

The circle graphics haven't been updated, but i've reworked the supernode guide completely and have started the terminology guide.

If anyone's able to contribute anything, i'd appreciate it a lot : )

Follow me on:

Github

Twitter

Steemit

SoundCloud (Hangouts)

But Google still crawl it. What the hell is derp derp?

Hi CM and all,

Great job on the website!!

Personally I like what you've done and how the site looks/works..Nice job on guides and the terminology guide is awesome.

I have a couple suggestions:

1. Would it be possible to have the main menu always visible? So no matter where a user is located they can easily get to a different place without much scrolling.

2. It would be good to have both download and exchanges links in the main menu as said before.

3. Gridcoin is truly revolutionary and I agree with others that it should be said in the details.

4. Having a responsive social media icons always visible would imo be a good idea - something like at Dogecoin website http://dogecoin.com/

5. Same as above for twitter/fb feed - basically I think that if we can't have an always visible one that wouldn't intervene with the sites appearance than we should remove it and just leave the icons I wrote about at #4

6. At community please add our official Bitcointalk thread - even though most of the action happens here, the info should be complete imo

7. FAQ - the total(CPU&GPU) number of blocks per day will be 576 with the new system - so 2880 -> 86400

8. FAQ - The total coin limit - With the new system as we went back to 576 blocks per day for both CPU&GPU the total coin # is going to be 168 million based on average subsidy of 100GRC...if the average was 125GRC the total is 210 million. IMO the 168 is possible because the average subsidy will go down significantly as the competition really starts to kick in.

9. CPU mining guide - CPU mining diff calc. - the max number of CPU blocks per day is 288. Will probably be a bit less then 288 as GPU miners will sometimes solve more block in a row leaving less space for CPU blocks.

10. Events is a great idea however I'd wait for adding this until we actually start some.

11. Foundation & donations - I'd wait with adding donations address until we have a Foundation setup. Also I'd wait with setting up the foundation, let's have the new system live, settled and promoted first.

Hope this isn't too much but you asked. ;)

Have a nice day,

Andrew.

C.M likes this

Hi CM and all,

Great job on the website!!

Personally I like what you've done and how the site looks/works..Nice job on guides and the terminology guide is awesome.

I have a couple suggestions:

1. Would it be possible to have the main menu always visible? So no matter where a user is located they can easily get to a different place without much scrolling.

2. It would be good to have both download and exchanges links in the main menu as said before.

3. Gridcoin is truly revolutionary and I agree with others that it should be said in the details.

4. Having a responsive social media icons always visible would imo be a good idea - something like at Dogecoin website http://dogecoin.com/

5. Same as above for twitter/fb feed - basically I think that if we can't have an always visible one that wouldn't intervene with the sites appearance than we should remove it and just leave the icons I wrote about at #4

6. At community please add our official Bitcointalk thread - even though most of the action happens here, the info should be complete imo

7. FAQ - the total(CPU&GPU) number of blocks per day will be 576 with the new system - so 2880 -> 86400

8. FAQ - The total coin limit - With the new system as we went back to 576 blocks per day for both CPU&GPU the total coin # is going to be 168 million based on average subsidy of 100GRC...if the average was 125GRC the total is 210 million. IMO the 168 is possible because the average subsidy will go down significantly as the competition really starts to kick in.

9. CPU mining guide - CPU mining diff calc. - the max number of CPU blocks per day is 288. Will probably be a bit less then 288 as GPU miners will sometimes solve more block in a row leaving less space for CPU blocks.

10. Events is a great idea however I'd wait for adding this until we actually start some.

11. Foundation & donations - I'd wait with adding donations address until we have a Foundation setup. Also I'd wait with setting up the foundation, let's have the new system live, settled and promoted first.

Hope this isn't too much but you asked. ;)

Have a nice day,

Andrew.

1. I'll look into it, it's definetley possible - just will take me a while to figure it out.

2. Will do - i'll make a dedicated download page with changelogs. Regarding the exchanges, we've only got the 3 exchanges at the moment. In order to justify an entire page to just 3 links i'll have to fluff up the content.. any suggestions?

3. Agreed, i'll re-write the content on the front page.

4. Maybe, it can definetley be on the to do list, but for now i've got to work on the content.

5. I've got an always visible twitter at the bottom of the main page - could pretty it up a bit, any suggestions?

6. Perhaps, however the thread isn't as active as this entire forum, nor is the first post as up to date. I'll look into it though.

7. There'll be 576 gpu blocks, and a potential for 576 cpu blocks. So 2880-86400 for both cpu and gpu.

8. So 8.4-210 million?

9. Good point.

10. Agreed, we should think about some events for launch - like some pentathalons to push gridcoin to the number 1 position in the world for as many projects as we can.

11. Agreed, i'm totally not asking for donations. If we do a gridcoin foundation, any kind of donation funds will be a multi-signature fund to prevent any one person having the bag in their hands. But in the meantime, this is a while away.

Edit:

Is anyone good at graphic design? I need a gridcoin paper wallet designed and i'll attempt to implement an offline paper wallet generator for the website.

andrewp likes this

Follow me on:

Github

Twitter

Steemit

SoundCloud (Hangouts)