Redcoin mining guide for noobs
I'll concentrate on Windows, as all noobs use Windows.
1. Download the client from http://redcoin.pw/download.php unzip it, then run it for the first time.
2. Go to "My Computer", Tools/Organize => Folder options => View, switch on "Display the contents of system folders" and "Show hidden files". Then switch off "Hide extensions for known filetypes". You can aslo find this menu by doing what's written here: http://windows.microsoft.com/is-is/windows7/change-folder-options
3. Go to C:/Users/YourUsername/AppData/Roaming/Redcoin, make a new text file, rename it to redcoin.conf, paste this sample config and save the file, feel free to modify the settings to your likings, just don't call me if it doesn't work:
user777 AND pass777 can be anything, its what you would enter in the GUIminer for SOLO mining.
4. Shutdown and Restart your Redcoin client to make use of the new config
5. Get GUIminer-Scrypt from here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=150331.0 , unzip it to a location of your choice. Be sure to use an external unzipper as the Windows built-in unzipper has problems with the file (at least in my experience), then run it. It may come up with a virus warning because it contains a server, this is not a virus.
6. If you want to mine solo, add the following values into their respective fields in GUIminer, also note that your redcoin client must be running while mining solo:
Username, Password: user777 and pass777, or what ever you specified in the redcoin.conf
Device: Choose which device you want to mine on
GPU Defaults: Choose your GPU, the default values are rather optimal
Extra flags: none if the time between blocks is close to the intended time, -s 1 -E 2 -Q 0 if blocks get solved very fast.
Use stratum: No
If you want to mine on a pool, change the following settings from their counterpart above, you can close the redcoin client if you want to:
Port: The port the pool runs on, normally shown on the how to page of the pool or in the address bar if it's a p2pool.
Use stratum: Depends on the pool, some use it, some don't, check the how-to page. P2Pools always have stratum enabled.
Username, Password: On P2pools use your wallet address as username and x (or anything else) as password. On normal pools use the worker name and password, which you can specify on the worker page of the pool.
7. Hit start!
8. I recommend you install MSI Afterburner or a similar tool to check the temps of your GPU. If it runs too hot (above 80°C is too hot), set the fan to a fixed speed (85% max, above will ruin your fan) or you can try to undervolt your card (must switch on voltage control in settings first). You can also downclock it, but this will make the card run slower.
9. Keep watching your redcoins fly into your wallet.